Things characters said that made you go like "HOW DARE YOU?!"

"And now here’s the best bit... when it’s all done, Ser tells the old man that he wants his change. The girl wasn’t worth a silver, he says... and damned if that old man didn’t fetch a fistful of coppers, beg mlord’s pardon, and thank him for the custom!"

This^^. Literally, the entire piece of dialogue is so fundamentally uncomfortable it becomes almost epic. I listen to the books more frequently than read them. The first time I "heard" this, I was fast walking in the park, about 6am, trying to get some exercise in before work. Buy the end, I had come to a full stop. Just stood there, mouth open, with an overwhelming need to beat the shit out of the speaker. The only other time anything close to that happened was "Jaime Lannister sends his regards..". Again, full stop, mouth open, and a WTF did I just listen to look on my face.

Interesting thing is, when you take the earphones out, the birds are still chirping happily. Pretty much exactly the atmosphere of Westerosi world, which only adds to the discomfort, IMO.

“It should have been you.” – Catelyn Stark

This one; I get it: sad, resentful, angry Cat. But lashing out at Jon like that, when he loved Bran, too. No good. He didn't deserve her vitriol.

I was furious when the Freys blamed the RW on Robb.

I also hate it when people accuse Tyrion of being a rapist, the evidence for which is subjective at best. If you believe that then fine, but don't present it as fact.

People have already covered Robert, Cersei, and Tyrion pretty well, so:

“Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat,” he said to a man below him. “Let him be the king of ashes.” - Mad King Aerys II Targaryen

The day he burned his mace-and-dagger Hand, Jaime and Jon Darry had stood at guard outside her bedchamber whilst

the king took his pleasure. “You’re hurting me,” they had heard Rhaella cry through the oaken door. “You’re hurting me.” In some queer way,

that had been worse than Lord Chelsted’s screaming. “We are sworn to protect her as well,” Jaime had finally been driven to say. “We are,”

Darry allowed, “but not from him.”

“I want your leaders,” Dany told them. “Give them up, and the rest of you shall be spared.”

“How many?” one old woman had asked, sobbing. “How many must you have to spare us?”

“One hundred and sixty-three,” she answered.

She had them nailed to wooden posts around the plaza, each man pointing at the next. The anger was fierce and hot inside her when she gave the command; it made her feel like an avenging dragon.

“It will be done, Your Worship. Would you have me question them sweetly, or sharply?”

“Sweetly, to begin. Hear what tales they tell and what names they give you. It may be they had no part in this.” She hesitated. “Nine, the noble Reznak said. Who else?”

“Three freedmen, murdered in their homes,” the Shavepate said. “A moneylender, a cobbler, and the harpist Rylona Rhee. They cut her fingers off before they killed her.”

The queen flinched. Rylona Rhee had played the harp as sweetly as the Maiden. When she had been a slave in Yunkai, she had played for every highborn family in the city. In Meereen she had become a leader amongst the Yunkish freedmen, their voice in Dany’s councils. “We have no captives but this wineseller?”

“None, this one grieves to confess. We beg your pardon.”

Mercy, thought Dany. They will have the dragon’s mercy. “Skahaz, I have changed my mind. Question the man sharply.”

“I could. Or I could question the daughters sharply whilst the father looks on. That will wring some names from him.”

“Do as you think best, but bring me names.” Her fury was a fire in her belly.

The following little gem gave me quite a turn:

(Tyrion to an utterly defenseless sex slave who has done nothing to him save do the job she is forced/ hired to do.

But wait. It gets even better. Here is the rest of the scene):

“Magister Illario says that I am to scrub your back and warm your bed. My name—

“Is of no interest to me. Do you know where whores go?

The girl could not grasp the question. “Is this a riddle, m’lord? I’m no good at riddles. Will you tell me the answer?"

“I will tell you nothing. Do me the same favor.” The only part of me that interests me is the part between your legs, he almost said. The girl is only some little fool who thinks I play at riddles. If truth be told, even her cunt did not interest him that much.”

I must be sick or dying, he thought......

"The girl’s mouth tightened. She despises me, he realized…That he had fucked many a woman who loathed the sight of him, Tyrion Lannister had no doubt, but the others had at least had the grace to feign affection. A little honest loathing might be refreshing, like a tart wine after too much sweet.

I believe I have changed my mind,” he told her. “Wait for me abed. Naked, if you please, I’ll be a deal too drunk to fumble at your clothing. Keep your mouth shut and your thighs open and the two of us should get on splendidly.” He gave her a leer, hoping for a taste of fear, but all she gave him was revulsion. No one fears a dwarf. Even Lord Tywin Lannister had not been afraid, though Tyrion had held a crossbow in his hands. “Do you moan when you are being fucked?” He asked the bedwarmer.

“If it please m’lord.”

“It might please m’lord to strangle you. That’s how I served my last whore. Do you think your master would object? Surely not. He has a hundred more like you, but no one else like me.” This time, when he grinned, he got the fear he wanted."

Now I've heard numerous Tyrion fans saying that this didn't count because Tyrion was drunk/ "scarred by Shae/ at a low point in this scene. But in my mind, this is a simple case of someone virulently harrasing, degrading, terrifying, and presumably raping one of the most helpless people in society for no other reason than they can. Tyrion's personal insecurity that he can't get hot girls without paying for them is really not going to cut it for me as an excuse here.

While Tyrion is one of my favorite characters, this was definitely a scene in which I was very much not proud of him.

Do you defend rapists in real as well

No, but I'd be ready to defend someone accused of being a rapist if they weren't. Tyrion threatens to rape the whore and obviously that's awful. But not nearly on the level of actual rape. We don't see what happens afterwards and from his follow up conversation with Illyrio, I got the distinct impression that he didn't actually do anything to the whore.

No, but I'd be ready to defend someone accused of being a rapist if they weren't. Tyrion threatens to rape the whore and obviously that's awful. But not nearly on the level of actual rape. We don't see what happens afterwards and from his follow up conversation with Illyrio, I got the distinct impression that he didn't actually do anything to the whore.

She wasn't a whore, she was a slave. I suppose you feel the same way about that other slave he raped in Volantis too?

Another moment: When Tyrion mocks and taunts Loras in Storm of Swords. He provoked Loras for no reason and even threw in shaded remark about Renly.

She wasn't a whore, she was a slave. I suppose you feel the same way about that other slave he raped in Volantis too?

Loaded question. Please debate responsibility.

If someone is going to defend Tyrion's actions in Dance, especially against slaves who have absolutely no ability to say no, I'm going to challenge that.

Tch Kitts, stop bringing your 21st century feminist values into the debate-don't you know that modern standards only apply when discussing the ablism Tyrion suffers?

Archived