Their worst mistakes...

Ice Turtle

Ned, Cat, Robb Cersei... what was their absolutely worst decision or act?

Starks

Ned - accepting position of the Hand

Cat - forcing Jon out of Winterfell

Robb - marrying Jeyne

Sansa - going to Cersei/ telling Dontos about Willas

Arya - not killing Tywin

Bran - not telling Robb to go fight North

Jon - trying to desert in AGoT

Lannisters

Tywin - angering Tyrion while he held a crossbow

Cersei - break - up with Jaime - she lost her only real supporter

Jaime - trying to kill Bran

Tyrion - killing Tywin, he should have simply fled, now he lost chance to be ever respected in Westeros

Greyjoys

Theon - remaining in WF, when he had no men to hold it

Vic - not accepting Asha as "Hand"

Baratheons

Renly - crowning himself

Robert - naming Ned his Hand, either of his brothers would be better

Stannis - sleeping with Mel

others...

LF - kissing Sansa in godswood

Dany - trusting MMD

What do you think?

For Cersei, it's got to be re-arming the Faith.

Especially since she has ample counsel from people like Pycelle, who accurately begins telling her it's not a good idea because of what happened last time around, which she dismisses on the basis that she doesn't care what happened to people who came before her.

For Daenerys, I'd extend the MMD mistake in that even though MMD proves to be a liar, and not having Dany's best interests at heart, she believes her prophecy about being barren without any real scrutiny.

Cat - forcing Jon out of Winterfell

I don't know - Cat may have saved all of humanity with that act. IMO in the long run Cat may have been the best thing that ever happened to Jon.

For Cersei, it's got to be re-arming the Faith.

Especially since she has ample counsel from people like Pycelle, who accurate begins telling her it's not a good idea because of what happened last time around, which she dismisses on the basis that she doesn't care what happened to people who came before her.

Agreed. It was not just a mistake but mind-blowingly stupid.

Dany - freeing the Slaver cities without any real conditions of of "maintaining" their new status... we're all witnessing what that is leading to. And, if by any chance she never gets to leave Essos, it would because of this.

Baratheon brothers - fighting each other instead of making an alliance (even if a temporary one) and take arms against their common enemies. Whoever's king and whoever's not could be perfectly discussed after the war was finished.

Robb - letting Theon go. So much shit coud be avoided with just that one thing. IMHO, it's a bigger mistake than marrying Jeyne.

Cersei - re-arming the Faith. Though I can't wait to see, for the plot's sake, the consequences of that decision.

Jon - talking down to Marsh&Co, instead of trying to consider them as equals and as people with a lot of experience in the Wall. Don't get me wrong, I fully support most of Jon's decisions as LC and I hate Marsh and his bunch for the Ides, but he should have understood that the men who later attempted to murder him were people who had been in the Night's Watch for years and during all those years all they truly fought were the Wildlings. Old habits die hard, and it's extremely difficult to convince someone that something they did and/or believed their entire life isn't 100% accurate (or completely wrong, for that matter). He should have understood that it would take (quite) a while til all the old generation NC members would see the Wildlings as people, and not just as the enemy.

I don't know - Cat may have saved all of humanity with that act. IMO in the long run Cat may have been the best thing that ever happened to Jon.

Yes, it helped the mankind but hurt her family. And it is clear what is more important for Cat. If Jon was there, there would be someone to help Robb and Bran and Rickon. Theon would probably be never able to take Winterfell - Jon was able to see trough exact same strategy at the Wall.

Starks

Ned - Trusting Littlefinger, there was so many reasons for LF to dislikke ned and he ignore them

Cat - Captureing Tyrion

Robb - Marrying Jeyne

Sansa - Going to Cersei

Arya - Not killing Joffrey and Cersei

Jon - Sending is most loyal men away

Lannisters

Tywin - Underestimateing Tyrion and holding him away from his birthright

Cersei - Faith militia and trying to screw the Tyrells

Jaime - He didn't make sure Bran die

Tyrion - Not killing LF when he first arrived in KL

Greyjoys

Balon - Attacking the north

Theon - Sending Ramsay away when he stock in WF

Euron - Sending Victarion to Dany

Baratheons

Renly - Crowning himself

Robert - Underestimateing the upcoming war and go huntin

Stannis - No give-and-take

others...

LF - Making big plans but failing to secure the conditions

Dany - trusting MMD

Ice Turtle

That's a nice list and I am in agreement, with the exceptions of the entries for Jon Snow and Sansa Stark.

Sansa Stark - selfishly ratting out her father's secret plan to sneak out of King's Landing to Cersei Lannister

Jon Snow - going along with Mellisandre's plans to have Mance Rayder rescue his sister. That compromised his ethics as Lord Commander in many ways.

Starks:

Ned: Telling Cersei what he would do

Cat: Urging Ned to go to King's Landing

Robb: Marrying Jeyne

Sansa: Telling Cersei they would leave

Arya: Not naming Tywin

Jon: Fleeing in aGoT

Lannisters:

Cersei: Re-arming the Faith and not making use of the Tyrell-alliance

Jaime: Pushing Bran out the window and loving Cersei

Tyrion: Not guarding his tongue

Joffrey: Being Joffrey

Tywin: underestimating Tyrion.

Greyjoys:

Theon: Trying to hold Winterfell

Balon: Ignoring Theon

Euron: Sending Victarion to Daenerys.

Baratheons:

Robert: Go hunting while the situation is extremely bad.

Stannis: Trusting Melisandre

Renly: Being arrogant and ignorant.

Daenerys: Her constant whining about how she's the rightful queen en deserves every good thing there is. Brought her partial downfall.

Walder Frey: Red Wedding

Littlefinger: Letting his love for Catelyn/Sansa stand in the way.

Lysa Arryn: Loving Littlefinger

Westerlings: Red Wedding

All the people involved: Starting the War of the Five Kings when Winter is coming!

Ned, Cat, Robb Cersei... what was their absolutely worst decision or act?

That depends. Am I to go by wickedness or stupidity? I'm going with stupidity.

Ned's worst mistake was to tell Cersei beforehand what he was gonna do.

Cat's worst mistake is releasing Jaime. That was just to emotional, rushed and ergo stupid. Possibly one of the worst political moves on the whole series. Sending Jon away, although cruel, does not compares.

Robb worst mistake was not to marry Jeyne (he was only protecting her... a case could be made for bedding her on the first place...) that would be either trusting Bolton and the Freys or sending Theon to the Iron Islands. And I lean towards the second.

Sansa's was refusing to grow sooner, basically. Arya had basically the same creation but wasn't nearly as stupid and naive.

Arya's was probably about the names she gave Jaqen. But then again when she had more time to think she blackmailed him into freeing her. Actually, that her worst mistake is so tiny proves how awesome she is.

Bran's was... not hearing his parents about climbing, perhaps?

Jon's was refusing Winterfell from Stannis, say what you will.

Jon's was refusing Winterfell from Stannis, say what you will.

I have to disagree, if he accepted Winterfell from Stannis he would have to burn the godswood, take the red go and marry the wildling, that would have put the whole North against him. Not to mention it wasn't Stannis' to give.

I have to disagree, if he accepted Winterfell from Stannis he would have to burn the godswood, take the red go and marry the wildling, that would have put the whole North against him. Not to mention it wasn't Stannis' to give.

I think he could have worked around burning the godswood somehow. Perhaps. I think it was worth a try. As for marrying Val... she's kind and beautiful. And I'm kind of a pragmatist, don't care much for his vows. (I realize it would be very out of character for him, but it's what I'd have done, providing I could avoid the whole Lord of Light business.)

Also...

Cersei: Rearming the faith.

Jaime: Loving Cersei.

Tyrion: He might just be the better player among the POV's. If only he had not let his hatred for being an exile overcome him...

Tywin: Underastimating Tyrion. Had he just loved or at least respected the damn Imp a little bit, or at least recognized his cunning and talent, he would have had a great ally and heir (not to mention survived).

Dany's worst decision was trying to be merciful instead of simply destroying the Yunkish forces as soon as they tried to impose a siege on Meereen.

Cersei's was sending Jaime away at a time when House Lannister needed to present a strong image.

Ned's was not supporting Renly.

Robb's was allowing himself to be crowned King.

Starks

Ned Went South of the Neck. Didn't he remembered the last time he had done that?

Cat being a bully and not confronting Ned about his infidelity rather than harass Jon.

Robb marrying Jeyne

Sansa being tittle-tattle

Arya not asking Tywin, Joffrey, Cersei

Bran I can't find something

Rickon Nothing at all :frown5:

Jon there are plenty to choose but I will choose an insignificant. Since he has all those dreams about the crypts in Winterfell why on earth he had never gone to see what is happening? This bothers me a lot since GoT.

Cat being a bully and not confronting Ned about his infidelity rather than harass Jon.

1. She did ask Ned, but he scared her into displacing her anger from him on to Jon.

2. She bullied no one; she ignored Jon apart from one incident when she had not slept for days.

3. Jon was never harassed by Catelyn.

Cat's got to be releasing Jaime.

Jon Snow, sending away his most loyal men.

Theon's decision to stay and rule Winterfell was terrible.

Cersei? Antagonizing the Tyrells, rearming the Faith?

Jaime, not saying the reasons why he killed Aerys and bitching about how people view him,

Starks

Ned

- not seeing what kind of person Robert became since he last seen him and agreeing to be King's Hand

Cat

- trusting Littlefinger...capturing Tyrion

Robb

- I was going to say letting Theon go, but marrying Jeyne was worse. If he married a Frey, he would have his support and he wouldn't have a problem to go recapturing Winterfell from Theon.

Sansa

- not growing up sooner - letting Cersei know about Ned's plan

Arya

- naming wrong names to Jaqen, and also, going to Braavos. I wanted her to go to the Wall.

Bran

- hmmm...this one is hard - not listening to his mother, being at the wrong place at the wrong time, meaning seeing Jaime and Cersei and getting himself crippled

Jon

- his dealing with fellow brothers of the Night's Watch when he became LC. He should have listened to them and explain his reasoning for what he wanted to do. Those were drastic changes he imposed for NW and he should have gained more support beforehand.

Lannisters

Tywin

- not accepting Tyrion

Cersei

- wanting to be a man - everything she does follows from this fact. Also, rearming the Faith.

Jaime

- fucking his sister

Tyrion

- letting his cock do half his thinking...whoring, loving Shae and killing Tywin out of anger.

Greyjoys

Theon

- remaining in WF, trusting Reek

Balon - not trusting Theon, attacking the North. He should have gone against the Lannisters and attack the West.

Baratheons

Renly

- being cocky and not supporting Stannis

Robert

- letting the realm grow bankrupt and corruptive, in short, being a weak king, also, giving his council too much power

Stannis

- falling under Mel's spell

others...

LF

- his love for Cat projected onto Sansa, thus weakening his plans, Sansa will get back to him

Dany

- 'I MUST have this city.' Once she got the Unsullied, she should have sailed to Westeros.

Starks

Ned - Trusting Littlefinger

Catelyn - Releasing Jaime Lannister

Robb - Marrying Jeyne

Jon - Sending away all of his allies

Sansa - Selling out Ned to Cersei

Arya - Wasting her wishes.

Bran - Climbing/Trusting Bloodraven (maybe)

Rickon - Being born a Stark

Brandon - Sparing Littlefinger

Lannisters

Tywin - Abusing Tyrion

Cersei - Trying to play the game of thrones

Jaime - Getting captured at the Whispering Wood

Tyrion - Keeping Shae

Kevan- Sticking around in King's Landing

Lancel - Joining the Faith

Baratheons

Robert - Marrying Cersei

Stannis - Placing his faith in Melisandre

Renly - Declaring himself king

Joffrey - Abusing Sansa

Targaryens

Aerys II - Opening the gate to Tywin

Rhaeger - Not courting Lyanna like a normal person

Viserys - Not staying with Illyrio

Daenerys - Trusting MMD/Staying in Meereen/Locking up her dragons/Turning away Quentyn

Martells

Doran - Placing his faith in the fucking Targs

Arianne - Trying to declare Myrcella queen

Quentyn - Not leaving Meereen the second Dany turned him down

Oberyn - Letting his desire for revenge consume him

Greyjoys

Balon - Rebelling against Robb

Victarion - Not killing the Dusky Woman/Letting his hate for Euron consume him

Theon - Betraying Robb

Others

Gregor Clegane - Raping and killing Elia and her children

Sandor Clegane - Drinking heavily on an empty stomach