Okay, so you're Robb Stark ...

YouKnowNothing.

Well first I keep Theon with me of course.

Send my mother, jaime, and a sizable force north to winterfell. Tell catelyn to correspond with Manderly on bow the ship building is going.

Tell edmure exactly what my plans are concerning going west and tywin.

Since bran and rickon aren't murdered I have no reason to sleep with anyone but theon probably will hit that.

Defeat tywin in the west like originally planned. Hold him hostage in Winterfell as well.

Go to the twins after achieving victory tell walder we are renegotiating a few terms. I will still marry roslin. But my siblings are out of the deal. Edmure is betrothed to the second prettiest frey.

Lead a force to the vale with brynden accompanying me. Inquire why my aunt lyssa would not lend me any swords.make marriage pacts using sansa and arya with some of the stronger lords of the vale to get the swords I need.

Let stannis know my stance as king in the north is lasting and forevemore the north no longer recognizes the authority of the iron throne. We bowed to the dragons, they are dead, my father bowed to your brother, his son took his head. Winter is coming, prepare yourself for it shall be hard.

Repell iron born invasion find a suitable location for a western fleet. Settle in for the long haul.

I'm not convinced the Blackfish and Robb's plan to "lure" Tywin into the West would have resulted in anything other than him smashing Robb. He had like 3 times Robb's numbers, and it was his home turf. Better to trap him between Riverrun (with an army of Riverlords) and Harrenhall (with Roose's infantry)

The one thing I have going for me in this scenario is that I have more honor than Robb did, so I'd actually honor my marriage arrangement. Unfortunately, I might make the same mistake he did with respect to Theon (what transpired could only have been foreseen if you began by assuming that Balon was a f***ing moron, which he was, but Robb couldn't necessarily know that), and I definitely lack the relevant experience and training to lead a war effort.

I'm probably pretty screwed.

I'm not convinced the Blackfish and Robb's plan to "lure" Tywin into the West would have resulted in anything other than him smashing Robb. He had like 3 times Robb's numbers, and it was his home turf. Better to trap him between Riverrun (with an army of Riverlords) and Harrenhall (with Roose's infantry)

But their plan was to have them chase him around (they have the mobility advantage) and only go in direct combat, if at anytime, only on their chosen ground. It's not guaranteed victory, but wasn't a bad plan at aall.

First, send Catelyn to deal with the Baratheon would who just leave the North alone, could accept a King of the North.

Second, keep Theon with you.

Continue with the raids but don't marry anyone.

With the Baratheon alliance, agree to move on Lannisport or Casterly Rock while they attack Kings Landing putting the Lannister forces in a bind.

After the duel raid, solidify your hold on the Riverlands and West.

Go back home and marry one of the suitable Frys, also say hello to Howland Reed and write a letter to Jon at Wall telling him who is parents are.

Then help Jon in the upcoming winter and allow the wildlings in the North.

1. Keep Theon close, send an envoy who isn't his final male heir to treat with Balon. Ask Balon to lend his strength towards dethroning the Lannisters and declaring independence for both the North and Iron Islands.

2. Stay silent towards Stannis and Renly, unless it becomes absolutely necessary to treat.

3. Trade Jaime for Sansa and Arya, given that Arya is missing demand Sansa, Ice, and Eddard's bones for Jaime along with the promise for Arya's return when she if found.

4. Retreat for a short time in order to consolidate forces and make certain Winterfell is safe, see which way the winds have turned involving Renly and Stannis. Stannis would win out against Renly, then discuss bending the knee towards him and helping him with the throne along with the condition that the North will remain a sovereign state once Stannis sits the Iron Throne.

5. Seek a marriage with Arrianne Martell, assuming Doran agrees break off the marriage with the Frey girl, she's useless at that point.

6. With the girls safe and either one or two powerful alliances move forward with the largest army musterable, crush the Lannsiter Tyrell alliance then march back North and get to work fortifying Moat Cailin. Send Theon back to Balon Greyjoy as a token of goodwill if he helped, otherwise Theon stays a ward of the Starks.

I would have done what Eddard wanted. I would have declared for Stannis and forgotten all that King in the North business. Stannis kills Renly, the Tyrells never declare for the Lannisters against the combined might of Stannis and the North, Balon Greyjoy never invades the North and if he does Stannis' first act as King would have been to crush him. War's over, the Lannisters are all dead, Stannis rules and we return to the North victorious.

I'm treating this question as "What would you do if you were Robb at the beginning of A Clash of Kings?" I haven't sent Theon to Balon. I haven't sent my mother to Renly. I'm preparing to invade the Westerlands. My army is calling me the King in the North and of the Trident. I know what the character knows in the book.

What do I want? Vengeance for my father and freedom for my people. How would I do it? Same military plan as the character, different political strategy. I tell Edmure exactly how I plan to defeat Tywin. I send an envoy to Balon with a letter from Theon. A Northern envoy, not someone from the Riverlands, but not someone who would make an especially valuable hostage. I tell this person that he's risking his life by going and to treat Balon as he would a foreign king I was asking to go to war with me. I tell him to send a raven to Riverrun by a certain date if Balon agrees to join my cause. I tell Edmure that if no raven comes by then that he should prepare for a possible attack from the Ironborn and send word to Rodrik in the North to prepare for one as well. Theon stays with me. No threat to him is implied in the letter but Balon is left to assume whatever he'd like about what could happen if he goes to war against me when his only son is in my camp.

My mother is still sent south to negotiate with Renly. I ask her to be a total diplomat. I make her understand that I'm prepared to negotiate with the Baratheon in the strongest position, whether that ends up being Renly or Stannis. Under the right King, the difference between Warden of the North and King in the North is a form of words. The basis of an agreement with Renly or Stannis should be an alliance with assurances of mutual support so that the relationship between the North and the Iron Throne is basically the same as it was when Ned and Robert ruled while certain things (whether I'm called King, whether I call the holder of the Iron Throne my overlord) are danced around. I expect the same treatment Dorne gets.

There should also be a marriage pact. If it's Renly, an informal agreement where in the best case scenario a daughter I have with the Frey To Be Named Later marries the firstborn son of Renly and Margaery. If it's Stannis then Shireen is betrothed to Rickon. Nothing is more important than that I recognize, and make my mother recognize, the reality that whoever marches north with an army of 100,000 has to be my ally.

I would cut off and fortify all lands between Tywin's army and Kingslanding. Let the Baratheons flip their coin and raise Kingslanding. Then once I had Sansa back and found out Arya was missing. I would march on Tywin's forces. After Tywin was defeated I would go back to Winterfell and marry who ever the hell I wanted.

Robb's biggest problem was being a 16 year old. There was no point in rushing into marriage or sending Theon anywhere just yet. 16 year olds have no patience unfortunately.

Edit: Few other notes.

After defeating Tywin before I went back to Winterfell I would let Stannis know that I'm King of the North, if he didn't agree to it once Winter came I would march on Kingslanding next.

1. Tell Edmure my battle plans and leave him some soldiers for the task.

2. Not marrying Jayne. After all even my father had a bastard so even if she is pregnant it's not that bad.

3. At this point lord Tywin is in my trap and the ironborn have invaded the north. So my priority is to finish Tywin ASAP. I know his force is larger than mine but after all he's surrounded and in enemy territory so I should be able to pull it off.

4. I'll take Harrenhal and fortify my positions in the riverlands and the west so that I can defend from an attack either from Lannisters and/or Stannis.

5. I'll unleash Roose and Ramsey on to the ironborn as well as reaching Howland Reed to ask to help them. That way I'll send loud and clear message that nobody fucks with me but in the same way keep my hands clean.

6. At this point without Tywin's help the King's landing is most likely fallen to Stannis. So the Lannister-Tyrell alliance is in ruins therefore I can marry Edmure to Margaery.

7. After that I'll assemble all of my forces and hit Stannis as hard as I can. Hopefully lord Manderly has built me a fleet by this time so I can take King's landing.

8. After that it shouldn't be a problem to make Dorn and the Vale to bend their knees.

Robb would never have won alone anyway and neither Stannis nor Renly were willing to treat as they both stated so this whole thread is wishful thinking.

There's degrees of wishful, you might as well have said 'I'll find some dragon eggs and hatch myself some dragons like Dany did, this will clearly tie me to the old Targaryen dynasty and ensure the loyalty of retainers while giving a powerful blow to the morale of the enemies, perhaos winning the war here.

I'm treating this question as "What would you do if you were Robb at the beginning of A Clash of Kings?" I haven't sent Theon to Balon. I haven't sent my mother to Renly. I'm preparing to invade the Westerlands. My army is calling me the King in the North and of the Trident. I know what the character knows in the book.

What do I want? Vengeance for my father and freedom for my people. How would I do it? Same military plan as the character, different political strategy. I tell Edmure exactly how I plan to defeat Tywin. I send an envoy to Balon with a letter from Theon. A Northern envoy, not someone from the Riverlands, but not someone who would make an especially valuable hostage. I tell this person that he's risking his life by going and to treat Balon as he would a foreign king I was asking to go to war with me. I tell him to send a raven to Riverrun by a certain date if Balon agrees to join my cause. I tell Edmure that if no raven comes by then that he should prepare for a possible attack from the Ironborn and send word to Rodrik in the North to prepare for one as well. Theon stays with me. No threat to him is implied in the letter but Balon is left to assume whatever he'd like about what could happen if he goes to war against me when his only son is in my camp.

My mother is still sent south to negotiate with Renly. I ask her to be a total diplomat. I make her understand that I'm prepared to negotiate with the Baratheon in the strongest position, whether that ends up being Renly or Stannis. Under the right King, the difference between Warden of the North and King in the North is a form of words. The basis of an agreement with Renly or Stannis should be an alliance with assurances of mutual support so that the relationship between the North and the Iron Throne is basically the same as it was when Ned and Robert ruled while certain things (whether I'm called King, whether I call the holder of the Iron Throne my overlord) are danced around. I expect the same treatment Dorne gets.

There should also be a marriage pact. If it's Renly, an informal agreement where in the best case scenario a daughter I have with the Frey To Be Named Later marries the firstborn son of Renly and Margaery. If it's Stannis then Shireen is betrothed to Rickon. Nothing is more important than that I recognize, and make my mother recognize, the reality that whoever marches north with an army of 100,000 has to be my ally.

This, however, is more realistic.

I am completely dishonourable so I would have refused to marry Jeyne Westerling after I got it on with her. I would have let Edmure in on my plan so he knew what was going on. I probably would have sworn fealty to King Stannis due to the fact that Lord Eddard supported his claim and died for it. I wouldnt give a fuck about being king. After Stannis, Brynden and myself destroy the Lannisters and the Tyrells I marry Roslin and remain faithful to her living out my days in Winterfell.

I am not saying the war would be easy but I would back in a Baratheon/Stark/Tully alliance to defeat a Lannister/Tyrell one. In this scenario Stannis would have taken Kings Landing and Tywin would have been run up and down the Westerlands the way they had originally planned.

Cue other members telling me what an idiot I am for betting against a Tyrell/Lannister alliance.

• 1 year later...

If I was Robb Stark:

1) I would send Jason Mallister as my envoy to the Iron Islands instead of Theon, keeping my friend as a hostage for his father's good behavior.

2) I would leave a large host at Moat Cailin to defend the North, and treat with the mountain clans to protect the wolfswood area. Fortify the North.

3) I would still send Cateyln as my envoy to Renly Baratheon and another to treat with Stannis.

4) I would invade and scour the Westerlands as soon as I was crowned.

5) I would raise two thousand men to find Ser Gregor Clegane, Ser Amory Lorch and the Brave Companions, killing them swiftly, end their raiding, and sending the Mountain's and Lorch's heads to Doran Martell.

6) If I had deflowered Jeyne Westerling at the Crag, I would not marry her and I would instead arrange a suitable marriage with one of my northern or river lords children. If she conceived my bastard, I would acknowledge the boy or girl at birth and raise him at Winterfell.

7) As I achieve victories, I would marry a fertile, Frey girl of my choosing and conceive children, and pronto.

8) Send a small task force to rescue Sansa.

9) Command Manderly and Mallister to begin construction of a Northern-Riverlands navy fleet.

10) Explain clearly my plans with Edmure, telling him in detailed. simple, sentences. That way, Tywin would be trapped in the Westerlands while Stannis take's King's Landing.

11) Convince my aunt - or at least, her bannermen - to send some numbers to the Northern-Riverlands army, at least ten thousand men or fifteen thousand from the Vale.

12)make use of the infantry under Roose Bolton

13) focus on wreaking havoc and plundering in the West, just like Tywin's dogs did along the Trident. Revenge is a bitch, Tywin.

14) If the Ironborn are stupid enough to invade, command and I'll unleash Roose and Ramsey on to the ironborn with permission of the old ways of flaying your enemy alive.

As you can gather, I am not going to be honorable like Robb Stark was. To win a war means doing ruthless and extreme things.

Never saw this thread before so I'm glad it's been resurrected. Assuming I (Robb) know about what will happen in the future I would:

1. Send for Roslin and have a quick marriage at Riverrun (ala Ned during RR)

2. Tell Theon time isn't right yet for an alliance with the Greyjoy's we need to weaken Tywin further so Balon can sense the Lannisters are losing badly (It will placate Theon instead of him thinking Robb see's him as a hostage

3. Only let the Riverland bannermen who are close to Harrenhal take their men back to their lands

4. Send half the foot to Moat Callin so Tywin doesn't try and head North and protect themselves from an Iron Born attack

5. The other half under Roose I recall and join it with the Riverlands force under Edmure

6. Move this force North of Harrenhal, find good ground and stay there to goad Tywin.

7. Head West with the horse and take Roose with me, go around the golden tooth win the battle of Oxcross

8. When Tywin leaves Harrenhal and Arya takes it for the Northern prisoners, Edmures forces move in, leave a reasonable garrison then move to clock any return of Tywin from the west if he changes his mind. (Always bugged me that Tywin retreats yet Roose's men do nothing whilst he links up with the Tyrell's to get to Kings Landing

9. Give Tywin a chase, Stannis takes KL kills everyone

10. Make peace with Tywin allow him to fight Stannis in exchange for him recognising Northern independence (Tywin will have little choice)

11. Trade Jaime for Sansa with Stannis

12. Improve Riverland defences, move east in and link up with Edmure in case Stannis attacks

13. Let Tywin and Stannis fight, if Stannis wins beat Stannis (he won't have many men left), Tywin keep the peace accord but makesure the Riverlands are wary

14. Go home, beat the Ironborn or just sit at Winterfell making babies with Roslin job done.

Alternative 13, onwards (dishonourable route i.e. me not Robb)

13. make Roslin die in some accidental way

14. marry Margaery, link up with the Tyrells and take the Ironthrone.

15. make babies with Margery and enjoy life. (Until Aegon and or Dany get there)

This would mean leaving the Riverlands and House Tully to their fate. In the long term, this might have been the best option - the Trident as part of a "Northern" kingdom would be unsustainable since unlike the North the Riverlands are completely open to attack

Perhaps advising the Riverlords to declare for Renly or Stannis after capturing Jaime would be the best option, while the Northmen could still have me as their King. But this would have been awkward after they had already joined that rousing moment and shouted "King in the North!" so I probably wouldn't do it :blushing:

In that case, I go West after defeating Jaime (assuming Grey Wind finds the secret path), like in the books. But unlike in the books, I keep Theon close and don't let the Riverlords return to their keeps, instead commanding them to remain with Edmure and defend Riverrun. I send some respected warriors as envoys to Balon, with orders to adress him as "Your Grace" at all times, and offering a marriage alliance as well as mutual independence. I will also try to find an honorable excuse to send Harrion Karstark home, sending Rickard the message that I care about his loss and the future of his House.

Anyway, When Tywin hears I have struck West and defeated the new Host at Oxcross, he will undoubtedly move to defend the West. So he will have to leave Harrenhall.

At this point, Edmure (as part of the prior plan made by me, him, and the Blackfish) will send a raven to Roose Bolton, ordering him to take Harrenhall from the Lannister garrison. This would be assumed to be costly and bloody, but worth it to gain the strongest castle in the Riverlands and trap Tywin from KL (assuming he can't go South without allying with the Tyrells, he'd have to go through Harrenhall to reach the capitol right?). Luckily, Roose makes a cunning plan of his own to take Harrenhall with practically no losses by bribing Vargo Hoat. There's no way Vargo will actually become Lord of Harrenhall - if he survives long enough for me to actually meet him, I will simply say that the promise was Lord Bolton's, not mine, and then execute him for his crimes. Who's going to miss the Goat? :devil:

So, assuming this all goes according to plan Tywin will be trapped between the armies at Riverrun and Harrenhall, while I sack castles, raid gold mines, and ravage villages with impunity in the West. Unfortunately, this is when I start to meet some misfortune. Balon would probably still invade the North even if Theon remained a nominal hostage, and Renly's murder by Stannis/Mel would allow Tywin to meet up/align with the Tyrells in the Reach and escape my trap bloodied but not broken. At this point I can't say what I would hypothetically do. Marrying a Frey girl at either the Golden Tooth or Riverrun would be ideal. I would consider the merits of bending the knee to the Iron Throne rather than fighting a two front war (Robb was irresponsible to refuse to even entertain the notion). However, in this scenario I would still have Winterfell, the Kingslayer in chains, and the Freys as allies. :cool4:

So, the main differences are:

-keep Theon close

-don't disperse the Riverlords and try to protect everywhere at once

-nip the Karstark problem in the bud

-make use of the infantry under Roose Bolton

-focus on wreaking havoc and plundering in the West, just like Tywin's dogs did along the Trident

I agree. The aftermath would leave me with several Lannister hostages (Jaime, Kevan's young children and maybe Tywin and Kevan), while it probably doesn't prevent the Tyrell alliance.

So, the Tyrells defeat Stannis at the Blackwater, which is good because Stannis would never tolerate an independent North. I negotiate with Tyrion a peace deal: a hostage exchange which still leaves me with several Lannisters while the Southorns keep no Northerner hostages. Unfortunately, Joffrey gets to live, in order to avoid a war with the Reach. It probaby means one of the Lannister hostages has to be sacrificed to the Old Gods to pay for Joffrey's crimes and extract some measure of vengeance to save face against the River and Northern Lords. Secure the Northern independence as per peace treaty.

Go back home, deal with the Ironborn, the wildlings and the white walkers.

I think he was planning to meet him at the Golden Tooth, where Robb could have used the fortress as a huge force multiplier, while Edmure is marching against his back to complete a pincer maneouver.

Renly already said he wouldn't stand to have a King In The North.

By the way, I'm already conceding that Renly and Stannis WILL quarrel...and Tywin will move his host away from Harrenhall in order to beat Stannis

No pretty sure Renly said Robb can still call himself King in the North as long as he gave overall fealty to Renly....

Tell Theon to stay with me. I'd say I needed him to help me weaken my foes before any contact with the Greyjoys.

Send 200 men to Winterfell, men who'd be nearby. Fortify the Moat with equal numbers. Attempt passage at the Twins with full troops.

Upon denial of passage, send word that a second denial would represent a bannerman betraying its Lord, and thus they would be attacked.

Archers and defenders would have been placed strategically in both sides to kill any raven leaving the Twins.

Every Frey man wold know that if they took our side there and then, they would be pardoned and reincorporated or have license to leave.

Move onto Casterly Rock, take it.

Send men diguised as men of the Night's Watch to enter KL on a recruitment mission, remove the Stark girls fom KL via the sea. If any danger would become apparent, retreat discretly. Better a failed mission than two dead sisters.

I'm sure asome of these things would never work, but assuming they would, it's what I'd do lol.

Archived