The Dragon has three heads .... Who are they?

Brandon Builder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

what everyone is forgeting is that when dany hears rhaegar say "the dragon must have 3 heads" she wasnt alive or in the womb at that time it was a magic flash back, rhaegar started to think that he would not be AA/tPwwP so he looked around at the targs that could grow up to be AA/tPwwP and the targ kids alive at the time were his son aegon and viserys and since elia could not baer another child and he did not know about dany being born he kidnaped lyanna (R+L=J) so the dragon would have 3 heads. Aegon, viserys and jon were all boys he never knew wether jon would be a boy but he probly hoped because as aemon said in FfC they always asumed it would be a prince not a princess

I am not saying it cant be dany because she is a girl im just saying that, in my opinion, that is what rhaegar thought and if jon had been born a girl she would still probly been a candidate

Does anyone else thing it would be quite GRRM not to have three heads? Just to some how chop the ground out from underneath that theory out of mischief?

Obviously, he says he never reads forums, but he must still be aware of the expectations that he creates.

• 5 months later...

We all have our own theories, I was struck by Jon referring to Ice Dragons in DWD.

Could dragons have 3 heads refer to Fire Dragon, Ice Dragon, and Sea Dragon (Nagga) as in literally meaning or in meaning you would need Fire/Targaryen, Ice/Stark and Sea/Greyjoy? love to read thoughts on this.

• 1 year later...

Dany is certainly one of the heads. Jon Snow is the other assuming R+L=J is accurate. As for the third, in my opinion, it's Tyrion. The Mad King raped Joanna Lannister back when Tywin was hand of the king. This would explain why he has a wonky colored Targaryen eye and *in the book* almost white hair.

So there you have it- three Targaryens: Danerys, Jon, and Tyrion.

Dany is certainly one of the heads. Jon Snow is the other assuming R+L=J is accurate. As for the third, in my opinion, it's Tyrion. The Mad King raped Joanna Lannister back when Tywin was hand of the king. This would explain why he has a wonky colored Targaryen eye and *in the book* almost white hair.

So there you have it- three Targaryens: Danerys, Jon, and Tyrion.

I have to assume its Tyrion as well. In addition to what you said, there is also Moqorro saying he had a vision of Tyrion snarling in the midst of everything, we have grrm saying he is his favorite character, he knows all about dragons, and other than targs is the only character mentioned to routinely dream of dragons.

I'm not 100% sold on Tyrion being a targ but I always thought it was possible and being told now that Tywin spent time in Lys it seems to provide an opportunity.

I think Deany is the mother of dragons, but not the rider. I think the people who are WARGS will controle the Dragons.

So that will be Bran, Arya and John Snow (but i can be wrong about the last one)

I know this was posted a while ago, but wasn't ADwD out already?

....so Jon Snow doesn't die when he gets stabbed 4 times?

Nope. He's still breathing at the end of that chapter, so until TWoW says otherwise, Jon Snow lives!

"The dragon has three heads" was only interpreted by Dany as needing 2 more people for her dragons, right?

Nope. One of the visions in the HotU was of Rhaegar with his wife and son. In that vision he says "there must be one more" because "the dragon has three heads." He figured his kids were the three heads. Obviously he was wrong about the identities. Though Aegon is a candidate.

Given that GRRM has said the third does not have to be a Targaryen, it could be anyone. The first is Daenerys, no question. The second I think is either Jon or Aegon. The third is up in the air. And there is nothing in the text that says the three heads have to all be dragon riders. That's just something a lot of us are assuming.

Candidates for the third head:

Aegon or Jon, whichever is not the second head.

Stannis. His grandmother was Rhaelle Targaryen.

Tyrion because of the heavy use of dragon-related things in his storyline.

Asha, because she's the most likely of the Ironborn.

Bran, because it might be possible to skinchange a dragon, and even if it's not, anyone who can ride a horse can potentially ride a dragon.

Arya, because I like the idea of the Stark girls getting in on this and I do not see Sansa on a dragon. Plus she may be leaving her job soon.

Victarion, just because he's on his way there and has that horn (which may or may not work like he thinks it does).

Euron, because well it's possible.

Brown Ben Plumm. Two drops of dragon blood.

Jorah. He's there.

Daario. Long-shot but possible.

Barristan. Another long-shot, but like Jorah he's there.

Archived