[Book Spoilers] The three swordsman that would stand a chance against Jaime Lannister?

Hound n Pound

Well Jaime was quite the arrogant but he respected Barristan and the Cleganes' raw force so those are the most likely choices...even though it is possible that there more better than him (maybe Garlan Tyrell)

I doubt Loras Tyrell could, Maybe if they were the Same age, but Jaime's been fighting longer than Loras has been Alive.

I think it'd be a tossup between Gregor and Jaime, depending completely on the Circumstances. I'd put my money on Jaime over Sandor, but it wouldn't be a safe bet.

I think Syrio Forell would be a great show. First Sword of Braavos vs the best swordsman in the Seven Kingdoms.

I doubt Loras Tyrell could, Maybe if they were the Same age, but Jaime's been fighting longer than Loras has been Alive.

I think it'd be a tossup between Gregor and Jaime, depending completely on the Circumstances. I'd put my money on Jaime over Sandor, but it wouldn't be a safe bet.

I think Syrio Forell would be a great show. First Sword of Braavos vs the best swordsman in the Seven Kingdoms.

Well Syrio yeah but I doubt Jamie even knows who he is.

Speed, accuracy of placing the pointy end, and endurance are the hallmarks of great sword play.

Have someone throw an apple at you as hard as can be thrown. Try to spear that apple dead center with a meter long, one-handed, pointy stick consistently...should give you an idea of the accuracy of great swordsmanship I'm referring to.

The pointy end need not be moved no more than the "sign of the cross", very little effort of strength; but, tons of control and hand-eye coordination.

The design and type of weapon makes all the difference, light, medium, heavy, foil to cutlass.

Selmy, Brienne, Oberyn.<prior to Joffery's wedding.

Barristan is an obvious pick. We know that Jaime admired him in his youth as a magnificent knight, and having been commanded by him, surely Jaime is aware of his skills, even though he's old.

The Clegane's are strong candidates. Especially The Mountain.

How about The Red Viper though? We know he's formidable, but does Jaime? Also while he's deadly, he was only vastly superior to Gregor because of his enourmous size and slow movement due to his size + heavy plate armor. Jaime would be significantly quicker and lighter on his feet, but even so The Red Viper would be a very deadly foe for anyone.

I'm uncertain if Jaime had knowledge of Loras' full skills at the time he said what he said. Even so I don't see Loras besting him, while he's deadly and all.

Barristan is an obvious pick. We know that Jaime admired him in his youth as a magnificent knight, and having been commanded by him, surely Jaime is aware of his skills, even though he's old.

The Clegane's are strong candidates. Especially The Mountain.

How about The Red Viper though? We know he's formidable, but does Jaime? Also while he's deadly, he was only vastly superior to Gregor because of his enourmous size and slow movement due to his size + heavy plate armor. Jaime would be significantly quicker and lighter on his feet, but even so The Red Viper would be a very deadly foe for anyone.

I'm uncertain if Jaime had knowledge of Loras' full skills at the time he said what he said. Even so I don't see Loras besting him, while he's deadly and all.

Thing is with the viper is that all he's got to do is pierce his opponents with his spear and they die anyway, win or lose.

The obvious is Barristan, of course.

I don't see where all this hype for the Cleganes comes from, they were brutes (mostly), as long as Jaime fights smart and moves quick, he shouldn't have too much of a problem.

What I want to see is a fight between Jaime, and the most understated character of the series:(if he doesn't eventually appear in the show, I'm gonna be a sad, sad boy) Garlan Tyrell. Loras himself has stated that Garlan can best him in swordsmanship, so anybody throwing Loras into the ring has to drop Garlan in there, too.

The Clegane's are not great swordsman, they are just brutes. Jamie could probably beat them with both hands, he would probably be smart enough to not charge them and to wear them out.

Wrong. Sandor is regarded as one of the greatest swordsmen in the realm. His size certainly assists that. Gregor certainly depends more on strength, as most of his kills (if not all) that we hear of or see are due to sheer strength.

Loras is said to be a good swordsman with great potential, but not yet great. He is known more for his ability with a lance.

Garlan is said to be a better swordsman than Loras.

And I consider Bronn one of the best swordsmen of the realm.

He isn't one of the best, we only really see him battle some misc soldiers and the knight in the Vale. He survives because he is not honorable and as we see when (AFFC spoiler) he refuses to help Tyrion fight the mountain.

The Kettleblacks :D

The Clegane brothers, that I can say. Barristan is not in the Realm anymore so I think we should look for another... I'd say Garlan but Garlan doesn't exist in the show, so probably Ser Loras.

(What good Jaime does not know is that Brienne has already bested Loras...)

Archived