Dragon of Winterfell?

I remember reading a topic on this not long ago, and the general consesnus put it down to Summer's mind not being as knowledgeable as Bran's and that it was just the wolf's interpretation of the comet in the sky. There is the other part to the story where IIRC it was Osha who mentions a sound like a dragon, or that could wake a dragon while they were in the crypts, but this was put down to the sounds of Winterfell being sacked and burned from underground. As far as that previous topic had progressed there was no definitive evidence of a dragon roaming the North yet. I believe there are several others that cover it as well.

People also thought that a dragon hibernating (or something similar) under Winterfell could explain the hot springs, though I've seen speculation that the North is/has been volcanic in the past (I've read that Hardhome was a mini Valyria type situation, where there was a massive volcanic event, but I'm not sure how much evidence there is to this). But dragons and volcanoes go hand in hand in ASOIAF so it's an argument that goes both ways.

multiple interpretations as tubbletian said.

Some people believe it was Summer's explanations of the red commet (but since Bran was warging Summer at the time I don't really support this)

others believe it was a vision Bran had of the return of the dragons (myself as well, lets not forget that Bran is guided by bloodraven)

and some think that a dormant dragon was hidden somewhere under Winterfell or in the crypts (if a real dragon was flying over the north wouldn't at least one person have noticed it?????)

There was no reference in the following books, we'll have to wait for the last ones I guess.

multiple interpretations as tubbletian said.

Some people believe it was Summer's explanations of the red commet (but since Bran was warging Summer at the time I don't really support this)

There's at least one other instance where Bran is warging Summer and his descriptions are strange. North of the Wall, Summer encounters several dead Night's Watch members. The number of them is described as the number of 'toes on a mans paw', which is kind of a weird way of describing it unless you consider that even while Warged all of Bran's memory and intelligence aren't quite present.

There's at least one other instance where Bran is warging Summer and his descriptions are strange. North of the Wall, Summer encounters several dead Night's Watch members. The number of them is described as the number of 'toes on a mans paw', which is kind of a weird way of describing it unless you consider that even while Warged all of Bran's memory and intelligence aren't quite present.

weird maybe, although correct :D summer knew how to count!

The comet sounds like the best esplanation, since a big band dragon that's roaming the North or entire Westeros seems something that people would notice. And there would definitely be more written about a dragon that's flying in the North. And the dragon would have been sleeping beneath Winterfell for about 8000 years. That just seems a little farfetched to me.

In the end of Clash Of Kings when bran goes into his direwolf and he sees a dragon flying up out of Winterfell. Whats up with that??! Does anybody know if it come up later in the series??

If it's a dragon in the prophetic (read: D&E) sense, the dragon flying out of Winerfell is probably ... Jon.

If it's something that's actually seen and only described as a dragon (but how would Summer know what a dragon was?), then I'm willing to buy the comet idea.

It's a description of the sack of winterfell. Specifically, the dreadfort men throwing a torch onto the roof of a building. It's the last page of the Theon chapter...Summer sees it above the grey cliffs, which is how he describes the walls of Winterfell. GRRM is messing with us. When Bran wakes up, he says they burned wf, not I saw a dragon. And it's not a vision of the future--Summer is seeing and hearing the sack and it's aftermath.

If it's a dragon in the prophetic (read: D&E) sense, the dragon flying out of Winerfell is probably ... Jon.

If it's something that's actually seen and only described as a dragon (but how would Summer know what a dragon was?), then I'm willing to buy the comet idea.

Apple, we missed you.

It sounded like a comet to me.

Due to my theory that Bran is part of an AA trio (with Jon and Dany.) I believe it actually was a dragon. It sounds nothing like the comet to me. Just because Summer is a wolf he would still be seeing the same shapes that a human would. The comet does not look like a snake, it does not have wings and it doesn't breathe fire. Nor does it roar. So either it's some sort of vision via BR or there actually is a dragon roaming about in the North. It's not impossible that no one saw it. I think at this point the Bolton men have left Winterfell and the North is huge. And if it's gone to the even more sparsely populated land beyond the wall...

or it's just fire. notice that it pretty much vanished into thin air, as fire is wont to do. if it is a dragon, exactly how do you explain its presence? how has no one in the history of ever not mentioned it?

If it's not the comet and "is" a dragon, then I suggest that it's not a literal dragon, but a metaphorical one.

But yeah, looking at the passage again, it does look like it's either the comet or the sack or both. I do still think, though, that whenever an "ice dragon" is referenced, that is Jon.

Archived