Is Sansa going to die?

Ice Turtle

It was as if she had become a ghost, dead before her time. Sansa AGoT

I presented this theory in few of my posts here and there, but never whole, so...

Prophecy one - Bran AGoT

He saw Sansa crying herself to sleep at night, and he saw Arya watching in silence and holding her secrets hard in her heart. There were shadows all around them. One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

Bran is seeing mostly the present, but I think that shadows represent the future. There are few candidates for the giant Tyrion, the man with large shadow, called giant by Aemon and Shae, Littlefinger whose father's sigil was Titan of Braavos and Robert Strong suspected by many to be reanimated headless corpse of Gregor Clegane.

I'm 90% sure it's UnGregor. Empty helm is a strong getaway, black blood refers to poison Oberyn used and "stone armor" may refer to Gregor being dead as there was a thread some time ago about stones being symbol for death, and there is no better protection against being killed than to be already dead.

Prophecy two - MMD AGoT

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east,” said Mirri Maz Duur. “When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he (Drogo) will return, and not before."

The sun is Qeuntyn on his quest, drying sea is the Dothraki sea, return of Drogo probably refers to Dany's death in childbirth, but what interests us the most at the moment are blowing mountains. I think that this part refers to a person, The Mountain that Rides aka Gregor Clegane.

Prophecy three - Ghost of the Hight Heart ASoS

“I dreamt a wolf howling in the rain, but no one heard his grief,” the dwarf woman was saying. “I dreamt such a clangor I thought my head might burst, drums and horns and pipes and screams, but the saddest sound was the little bells. I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs. And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow.

And Sansa referring to Eyrie.

The Eyrie shrank above them. The sky cells on the lower levels made the castle look something like a honeycomb from below. A honeycomb made of ice, Alayne thought, a castle made of snow.

Eyrie is told to be impregnable. If you are in Vale and someone sends a monster to kill you, this is exactly the place where you would hide. And it also happens to be a place where you can send man to blow to the wind through the Moondoor.

So far it should be clear that I think that Sansa will send UnGregor flying. So why I think it will also cost her her own life? Luckily for Sansa's fans proof of that isn't that strong, but the most foreshadowed even of the books so far was the Red Wedding - death of 1,5 Starks. Ghost of the HH could feel Arya's future grief and I don't think it was only due to RW but also the second part of the prophecy. To quote:

“I see you,” she whispered. “I see you, wolf child. Blood child. I thought it was the lord who smelled of death . . .” She began to sob, her little body shaking. “You are cruel to come to my hill, cruel. I gorged on grief at Summerhall, I need none of yours. Begone from here, dark heart. Begone!”

And now we are at the end of the post about Sansa's possible death and I actually haven't mentioned Lady once.

I don't think she's going to die. The Stone giant with the helm of blood is most likely Ungregor, but I don't think he's the savage giant Sansa will slay. That honour will either be bestowed on LF or Tyrion, if we can take the prophecy at face value, or it might have been fulfilled by Sweetrobin's doll. I also don't see why the Mountain that Rides should be connected to Dany's prophecy. The death of Lady IMO symbolises Sansa's similar loss of that status, and could also represent the disillusionment of her idealism in AGOT.

Sansa is one of the characters I'm positive won't see the end of the series, because Lady is dead and each direwolf reflects the fate of its owner.

The direwolves reflect their owners personality, because of the warg connection, but not necessarily their fate. Ghost didn't get stabbed, and Summer didn't lose movement of his legs...

And the giant shadow isn't likely to be UnGregor-his helmet doesn't open, it's a bucket helm.

It's more probable that UnGregor will change his helm that we will see Tyrion or Littlefinger losing their heads while still be able to give Sansa reason to slay them.

I also don't see why the Mountain that Rides should be connected to Dany's prophecy.

She saw the Red Wedding in the HotU.

The direwolves reflect their owners personality, because of the warg connection, but not necessarily their fate. Ghost didn't get stabbed, and Summer didn't lose movement of his legs...

Which is why Jon is possibly alive, and Bran will be able to fly, so Summer does not need to be crippled.

Nymeria and Greywind so far have had similar fate to their owners at least (being lost and killed).

And the giant shadow isn't likely to be UnGregor-his helmet doesn't open, it's a bucket helm.

He could have got a new helm?

I'm fairly certain the first prophecy refers to Sansa/Arya/Sandor/Jaime/unGregor - mostly because I associate the stone armour with the Mountain - pretty much ever since Mya Stone's line about a stone is a mountain's daughter (I know this is totally unconnected, only the juxtaposition of the words struck me, I am in no way implying Mya is Gregor's daughter - dear gods the imagery :ack: !)

As for the third prophecy - I'm not certain but this might in a way already have happened - if we think about the whole LF/Sansa kiss we can see this is the beginning of LF's downfall - not his death yet by a long shot, but his weakness for Sansa given physical manifestation - since this is the weakness which will eventually (we hope) kill him or at least bring him down, we can see this moment as a foreshadowing of his demise. In other words, maybe the Maid won't slay the Giant with her own sword/hand but will bring about his downfall nonetheless and we can see the beginning of the process within the Snow Castle's walls.

Which is why Jon is possibly alive, and Bran will be able to fly, so Summer does not need to be crippled.

Nymeria and Greywind so far have had similar fate to their owners at least (being lost and killed).

Arya chased Nymeria away and Greywind could hardly avoid being slaughtered with Robb at the RW. Lady Lea's point is correct.

Bran will not be able to fly. Flying was a metaphor to discovering his full abilities with Bloodraven.

ETA: also Nymeria hasn't lost her personality like Arya, and has instead become MORE direwolf. And what Brash said. Greywind was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm very afraid of that possibility, to be honest. Mostly because nobody expects it. She's been through hell, and her life should be getting better. But GRRM writes the most heartwrenching death scenes, and killing one of the most innocent characters in a heartbreaking way may be his plan.

Don't know if it's true or not, but I heard that when A Song of Ice and Fire was supposed to be a trilogy Sansa was to die in the second book. Mostly because I expect the worst since I won't get upset too much if it happens, but sometimes I can't get the image of Sansa dying by childbirth, married to a man she doesn't love and naming her son Eddard... :crying:

No,because in a literary sense she has suffered more than enough and still has a lot more self-awareness to discover. Though the road is still going to be hard and merciless for her. I think she may see more loss and more deaths though.

Or Martin can once again through all the rules out the window with glee.

Sansa is one of the characters I'm positive won't see the end of the series, because Lady is dead and each direwolf reflects the fate of its owner.

I'd say the wolves represent the spirit of the north reaching out to arm the Starks for battle in a time of need. And the contract between the children and wolves was that the wolves would watch over the Stark line so long as the kids LISTENED to the wise counsel of the wolves and remained true to the spirit of the north. (The Starks' job was to behave in a way the northern gods approved of.) Sansa betrayed that spirit of the north (and Lady died) when she decided to trade loyalties and play the game using the South's rules instead. Notice how this forced her to abondon the Stark name in order to live, but she's actually doing just fine using her new name. Because she's quite good at playing by the new rules: she'd been training her whole childhood to be a lady of the court, NOT an ice maiden. (All of those lady games played with Jeyne, etc.) It wasn't just blind luck or Petyr's lust that got her saved from KL. Pete recognized her worth as a partner in crime. He saw how ready she was to play the part of Alayne, saw that she'd be able to mingle with lords as he scammed them.

So her fate may yet rise high even without the north's blessings. So long as she remains 'not-a-Stark'. It's when she reclaims her 'rightful' name that I foresee problems for her. Because she won't be walking with the gods' blessing like Jon and Bran are, yet she'll be taking on the risks of a Stark. She'll have to look out for herself more aggressively than the other Starks do. Luckily for her, you could say that the last couple years have been a crash course in Power Games 101, schooling her in what to look out for. So her courtly IQ may suddenly spike high enough to keep her alive and thriving, if she's able to avoid shell shock and bring all her experience together and use it to her advantage. (She has to push to become a full partner in Petyr's law firm, so that her fate is in her own hands when the crunch comes).

good point, i put robb/greywind together, but the idea of both arya and nymeria being lost and alone eluded me. maybe arya will gather a strong wolf pack around her, head back to westeros and start murdering out.

I don't think she's going to die. The Stone giant with the helm of blood is most likely Ungregor, but I don't think he's the savage giant Sansa will slay. That honour will either be bestowed on LF or Tyrion, if we can take the prophecy at face value, or it might have been fulfilled by Sweetrobin's doll. I also don't see why the Mountain that Rides should be connected to Dany's prophecy. The death of Lady IMO symbolises Sansa's similar loss of that status, and could also represent the disillusionment of her idealism in AGOT.

Yes. This. To both of you. I continue to be surprised that so many people continue to take the death of Lady so literally. Or, that this scene is misinterpreted as often as it is.

She saw the Red Wedding in the HotU.

Different prophecy. One does not equal the other. Besides, I think the mountains are the great pyramids in Mereen. They are going to be destroyed by the dragons and their ash will scatter in the wind.

No, Sansa is one of the few characters I'm 100% sure won't die. Firstly because too many people (wrongly) assume that Lady's death = Her death so GRRM won't do it (as it won't be a surprise) and also because she (and the Starks) have suffered too much death already.

Actually I'm pretty sure none of the current Starks (including Jon) will die, apart from Arya who I'm still iffy about (Jon's remarks in GOT give an ominous ending for her). That's not to say they won't get bittersweet endings (like Bran might be stuck as a tree forever or never see his family again) but I doubt anymore of them will die. It would be abit too much Stark death I think.

Also the prophecies you've quoted are not all related to each other, but the giant with the helm is definitely UnGregor, the hound face is obvious The Hound and the man in armour is either Jaime or Tyrion (my bet is Tyrion).

As others have said, the giant Sansa will slay is either LF or was the doll she ripped (I think it's LF).

Perhaps we are looking at Lady's death in the wrong sense. We are looking at is as the fact that she dies. But if you look at it as Sansa losing her connection to her wolf, then you can easily see it as her losing her connection to her family (i.e. when she becomes a ward of the crown and is married off against her will).

Lady was forced to pay for her sister's "crime" and Sansa was repeatedly beaten for her brother's crimes.

Then you can look at the treatment of Lady's death. Ned refused to give Lady to the Lannisters. He realized too late that he should have done the same thing for Sansa and so he lost her too. (as a side note, I don't see Arya and Nym as "lost" I see them as "surviving" in the best way possible for them... Nym by creating a huge pack and Arya by becoming a Faceless Man)

I don't see Lady's death as predicting Sansa's death so much as the death of everything she believed in.

As for the prophecies, I do think that they mean Sansa has a bit more to do yet, but I don't think they predict her death. So far she seems to much of the "end game" to me... she still has her maiden head and a strong claim to the North. I think people are more likely to do like LF and hide her away to make use of her. I'm hoping she continues to become clever enough so that she can outsmart these others who would make use of her.

Perhaps we are looking at Lady's death in the wrong sense. We are looking at is as the fact that she dies. But if you look at it as Sansa losing her connection to her wolf, then you can easily see it as her losing her connection to her family (i.e. when she becomes a ward of the crown and is married off against her will).

Lady was forced to pay for her sister's "crime" and Sansa was repeatedly beaten for her brother's crimes.

Then you can look at the treatment of Lady's death. Ned refused to give Lady to the Lannisters. He realized too late that he should have done the same thing for Sansa and so he lost her too. (as a side note, I don't see Arya and Nym as "lost" I see them as "surviving" in the best way possible for them... Nym by creating a huge pack and Arya by becoming a Faceless Man)

I don't see Lady's death as predicting Sansa's death so much as the death of everything she believed in.

As for the prophecies, I do think that they mean Sansa has a bit more to do yet, but I don't think they predict her death. So far she seems to much of the "end game" to me... she still has her maiden head and a strong claim to the North. I think people are more likely to do like LF and hide her away to make use of her. I'm hoping she continues to become clever enough so that she can outsmart these others who would make use of her.

That's plausible too

Archived