Is Sansa going to die?

Ice Turtle

I think Sansa is a goner.

The fate of the Starks seems to be tied to the fate of their direwolves. Lady died in a A Game of Thrones which put Sansa's life on the clock. It is the price she will pay for getting Micah killed.

"When the snow falls and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives." - Eddard

Nymeria's whereabouts are unknown, much like Arya's whereabouts are unknown to everyone in Westeros. She is separated from the pack, but we know they are both growing stronger, Nymeria increasing the numbers of her pack, and Arya training to be a FM.

Furthermore, who Arya has pretended to be in Braavos is almost a metaphor for who Sansa has become. Sansa sold out Eddard to Cersei Lannister because she thought she was getting a prince charming in Joffrey, Sansa is a turncloak. Moreover, She isn't Sansa Stark anymore she has turned into Alayne Stone, we know this because her name has changed in her chapter headings much like Theon's was changed when he believed himself to be Reek. Alayne allowed her aunt, Lysa Arryn, to be murdered without a word of protest.

In short, I think this makes Sansa the "lone wolf" she has forgotten who she is and betrayed her family along the way. While you can make the case for Arya being the "lone wolf" I disagree because she has not forgotten that she is a Stark.

Sansa will eventually die, but not for a long time. She has suffered enough, and she will survive the series alongside the other Stark children.

The giant she slays is LF whose sigil is the Titan of Braavos. The old Sansa will die for the new one to be born.

Sansa will eventually die, but not for a long time. She has suffered enough, and she will survive the series alongside the other Stark children.

The giant she slays is LF whose sigil is the Titan of Braavos. The old Sansa will die for the new one to be born.

This. And she will put to rest any questions about her being a true Stark or not, that notion always irked me.

I'm very afraid of that possibility, to be honest. Mostly because nobody expects it. She's been through hell, and her life should be getting better. But GRRM writes the most heartwrenching death scenes, and killing one of the most innocent characters in a heartbreaking way may be his plan.

Don't know if it's true or not, but I heard that when A Song of Ice and Fire was supposed to be a trilogy Sansa was to die in the second book. Mostly because I expect the worst since I won't get upset too much if it happens, but sometimes I can't get the image of Sansa dying by childbirth, married to a man she doesn't love and naming her son Eddard... :crying:

Yes Sansa dying would be unexpected and very much like what GRRM does... Or he could have her hurt in some way like Bran. Her beautiful blue eyes are often referred to which makes me afraid she could end up blind.

Yes Sansa dying would be unexpected and very much like what GRRM does... Or he could have her hurt in some way like Bran. Her beautiful blue eyes are often referred to which makes me afraid she could end up blind.

Tho Arya's blindness was not a permanent condition, I'm pretty sure you theory is wrong : GRRM is so not using it twice, on both Stark girls !

Didn't tyrion say to her she might outlive them all? (Or was it just in the show?)

Anyway I don't think that Lady's death means that she will die. I don't even think it means she lost connection to the North.

On the other hand, with every passing book her connection to it actually grows, think about the rebuilding Winterfell from snow scene in ASoS, one of the most beautiful one.

At the beginning she wanted to go South, to the lands of courts, and knights and songs.

Now? She wants to go back to Winterfell to the land of snow, that is where she feels at home (she feels home when snowflakes touch her face in the Vale), and she started to pray to the old gods. She feels home at the godswoods as well now

Actually if you think about it, Lady might be dead but she is in Winterfell. She is the only direwolf who is in WF, and that is the place where Sansa wish to return in all of the later books, if you think about it this way, WF became her center. Not to mention the building WF from snow I think simbolises that she will have a part in rebuilding it as well as Bran.

I don't think the giant prophecies symbolises her death, on the other hand they more likely refer to her defeating someone (Robert Strong, LF, tyrion).

The only thing that could mean that is Lady's death, but again she actually didn't lost her connection to the North. Again on the other hand, she wants to go back there more and more, she prays to the Old Gods, she visits the godswood. While before all she wanted was to go South, wear pretty clothes, listen to songs and see gallant knights.

It compeletly reversed.

I know a lot of people gave up on her character after Lady died and she went to Cersei. So did I at the beginning, I thought she is a lost case, that she stands the furthest from her family, and that Ladys death means she will get farther and farther away from that.

But again if you watch her POVs, you realise it is the other way around.

I don't think she is lost, maybe because it is not Lady's death is what matters, but where she is. And she is in Winterfell.

At the end Sansa will outsmart them all I believe, and after defeating LF with her own hands she returns to the North.

If anything she's the one Stark I see fully returning to her home in the end. The others, I'm not so sure.

Who is the night Shining in Golden Armor like the Sun? I am sure the one is Ungregor but who is the shining Knight?

Is it Ser Selmy coming to Save Sansa???????? GRRM has a dozy of a story planned for us . the best is yet to come.

Selmy heads west with Dany, Finally makes it back to Westeros, Westeros is under the rule of Fake Aegon, but Dany has Dragons and the Ironborn as an ally.

The Final Wars break out, Civil War in the South, and Ice and Fire in the North . . . Dany wins both, and dies . .

"I saw the Dragons Dance, and every where the Dragons Danced the people died."

By the time this is all said and done, I won't be surprised if their is less than 100,000 folks left alive in Westeros

Too much war, too much destruction, . . . I wonder if this whole series is one long anti war statement by GRRM?

As JFK said, "Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind."

Who is the night Shining in Golden Armor like the Sun? I am sure the one is Ungregor but who is the shining Knight?

Is it Ser Selmy coming to Save Sansa???????? GRRM has a dozy of a story planned for us . the best is yet to come.

Selmy heads west with Dany, Finally makes it back to Westeros, Westeros is under the rule of Fake Aegon, but Dany has Dragons and the Ironborn as an ally.

The Final Wars break out, Civil War in the South, and Ice and Fire in the North . . . Dany wins both, and dies . .

"I saw the Dragons Dance, and every where the Dragons Danced the people died."

By the time this is all said and done, I won't be surprised if their is less than 100,000 folks left alive in Westeros

Too much war, too much destruction, . . . I wonder if this whole series is one long anti war statement by GRRM?

As JFK said, "Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind."

I believe the knight with armor like the sun is Jaime.

This is interesting (GRRM interview):

The anti-war speech by the Barefoot Septon, about broken men, is one of the most striking things in A Feast for Crows, and it feels like a thematic statement for the series. People have speculated this is your voice coming through. Is the pointlessness of war something you want people to come away with as a central idea?

...Yeah, if you know anything of my personal history, you know I was against the Vietnam war. And so one of the things that's going on in the books as a whole, not just in that speech but elsewhere, is some reflections on war and violence, and the cycles we get into, and the costs of war. Some things that perhaps are not sufficiently considered in a lot of fantasy novels or science fiction novels, for that matter. It's easy to write the big, big war stories where no-one important ever dies, so the only ones you ever see slaughtered are the extras, the orcs or your own army. So you just say, "Oh, it was a terrible battle, we lost 10,000 men." But it has no visceral effect on the reader.

It's just like reading a story in the newspaper about some terrible tsunami or earthquake in a distant part of the world, where a lot of people died. You read it and absorb it, and of course you're very sad that 10,000 people just died at the other end of the world, and then you go and have your breakfast and go on with your day, and within half an hour you've forgotten about it. But if your best friend dies or your mother dies, or one of your children dies, that's only one person, but it has enormously more emotional impact. So I want the deaths in my world, the wars, to have an emotional impact on the readers.

http://io9.com/58229...of-ice-and-fire

Didn't GRRM said that the end would be a cloud of dust or snow being driven by the wind across a vast graveyard full of tombstones?

Anyone can die and in a sense everyone will die. Why Sansa in particular? Right now she is exactly like Tyrion, placed in the middle of things to come. There is a possibility that in Bran's dream, the giant could signify more than one things. For example, it could be Sandor vs Gregor at the Hand's tourney, where Sandor saved Loras, defeated Gregor and Sansa applauded. It could also be LF, not only because of his family sigil but also due to the fact that him, a single man, caused the fall of four great houses, Stark, Lannister, Tully and Arryn and currently has a lot of power.

The death of Lady could refer to the death of her childhood, of her life in Winterfell with her family still intact, the fact that the moment Ned chose to play the Game, he crossed the Rubicon, point of no return. It was foreshadowing of dark times to come for the Starks and Sansa in particular but not necessarily something that proves that the girl will die. If we are to explain direwolves and their importance literally, then Robert had to stab Ned and kill him, but that didn't happen. The direwolf mother was found dead, killed by a stag. Robert placed Ned in a dangerous position the moment he appointed him as his new hand but he did not kill him. The death of Lady might signify Sansa's desire for something lost that can never be regained, or the fact, that unlike her siblings, she will not have a surrogate family: Robb-Westerlings, Arya-Gendry and Hot Pie, Bran-The Reeds, Rickon-Osha, Jon: NW.

Just because she is a little girl, surrounded by enemies or people who want to use her, this doesn't mean that she will die. This is GRRM we are talking about. Dany started as a shy, little girl and she was last seen riding a dragon. Jaime Lannister, jumped into a bear pit and had no weapons or a swordhand and he survived. GRRM places his characters in a difficult situation but this doesn't mean that they will die.

I found this from the Citadel where some of the BwB had dinner with Martin

7. Short discussion on the significance of the wolf to the Stark kids. Martin made a rather assertative comment about the significance of Lady's absence in Sansa's life. Though I can't recall the exact wording.

I do not think the significance would simply be foreshadowing Sansa's death all though I suppose it could. I would think it would be something of greater import, now what that is who knows.

I just don't see her ending up dead. She's not a just a Stark, Sansa is THE Stark. The only Stark that's ever really interacted with the other Great Houses of Westeros. I think Sansa is going to play a strong part in whatever ends up becoming of the Political Climate in the Seven Kingdoms or whatever they morph into.

I think she will have a reunion with Jon Snow. The way she's see's Janos Slynt at Joffrey's name day celebration and hopes that some day some "Hero" will throw him down to the ground and have his head off. And How Jon himself thinks that the Nightswatch will have to appeal to the Vale for food supplies but how Lyssa Tully is unlikely to help the Bastard of Catelyn Stark's husband.

I think she will meet Tyrion again as well and though they are not and probably never will be close, Tyrion has always had an instinct to protect Sansa. Even when he thought she murdered Joffrey and left him to take the fall for the crime. He wouldn't tell the Tywin, Cersei, Oberyn and Mace that Sansa was the murderer.

I think there are way to many dynamics Sansa holds with WAY to many characters for her not to have a future. I think they were set up for a reason.

I do not think she will die, because in terms of story development this would be awkward: Her "Chekhov gun" is the fact she reforges a deep connection with the North and - at the same time - learns to play the game thus being able to break the vicious cicle of "every Stark who goes south of the Neck perishes". Establishing this unique combination and then having it been for naught is rather unsatisfying to me and not worth the cheap surprise of her not making it.

Actually I fear more for Arya and maybe Bran who have arcs that focus more on fight/darker magic/open confrontation and less on healing and reconcilation

For some reason, it has never even occurred to me that Sansa might die. I suppose it's because she's never been in a position where her death is all that likely, save for her little moment with Lysa and the moon door. It would be strange to have her character develop this much, only to die. She's becoming the mother that the remaining Starks need, especially since minus Jon (and somehow i doubt he'd like having MiniCat as his new mama anyway) she's the oldest now.

And besides, enough people still hate Sansa for GRRM to keep her alive. Am i correct in assuming that part of the case for Arya's death, as it was with Robb and Ned, is that everyone likes them too much? We've got a cruel, cruel author here.

Archived