Interesting lines on the re-read? (hindsight)

winterbird

In the middle of re-reading Song of Swords right now and I just found a line the Hound says to Arya after telling her they crossed the Trident not the Blackwater.

"Keep your mouth shut and do as I tell you, and maybe we'll even be on time for your uncle's bloody wedding."

I actually had to stop there for a moment and appreciate the swear. I never counted it as "foreshadowing" because well, he was just swearing. It wasn't a dream or a prophecy. But once you know what is going to happen it's just chilling to hear him phrase it like that.

Anyhow it amused me and I was wondering what lines other people have come to appreciate with the benefit of hindsight?

She spread her cloak on the forest floor and sat beside the pool, her back to the weirwood. She could feel the eyes watching her, but she did her best to ignore them.

Those lines from Catelyn's first POV in GOT didn't make much of an impression upon first reading but now that I know about Bloodraven the second reading really gave me a chuckle.

• 9 months later...

Anyhow it amused me and I was wondering what lines other people have come to appreciate with the benefit of hindsight?

Just in the next Catelyn chapter in ASoS Lord Walder says something about the upcoming wedding and I thought thats quite evil if you know whats about to happen:

"We'll have music, such sweet music, and wine, heh, the red will run, and we'll put some wrongs aright."

The sweet music of "Rains of Castamere" and "red" as in RW.

varys to ned, after ned chooses beric over loras to hunt down gregor:

'a man who has the Lannisters for his enemies would do well to make the Tyrells his friends.'

in the tourney in ned's honor, anguy wins the archery competition and thoros beats beric in the jousting.

Another insane foreshadowing line (also RW-related) that I just caught, which essentially describes Catelyn's transformation into Lady Stoneheart:

"After she'd undressed and hung her wet clothing by the fire, she donned a warm wool dress of Tully red and blue, washed and brushed her hair and let it dry, and went in search of Freys."

Another insane foreshadowing line (also RW-related) that I just caught, which essentially describes Catelyn's transformation into Lady Stoneheart:

"After she'd undressed and hung her wet clothing by the fire, she donned a warm wool dress of Tully red and blue, washed and brushed her hair and let it dry, and went in search of Freys."

That... Is creepy :o

Never noticed it, nor did I come across it on the internet. Good catch!

I noticed one where Catlyn first meets renly in CoKand describes him as 'a ghost in a golden crown' . thought this was interesting because Renly kind of gets killed by a ghost and at the battle of the blackwater its renly's 'ghost;' that saves the day . kind of .

True, that is the second meaning and foreshadowing, but upon reading the first time it means that Renly looks like a young Robert, with their strong seed, as Jon Arryn would say.

• 2 weeks later...

I came across this one is ASoS. It's after Tyrion offers the rare book to Joffrey for his wedding gift and he destroys it. So, right before the PW. Sansa's POV.

“I once had the great good fortune to see the Citadel’s copy of Lives of Four Kings,” Prince Oberyn was

telling her lord husband. “The illuminations were wondrous to behold, but Kaeth was too kind by half to King

Viserys.”

Tyrion gave him a sharp look. “Too kind? He scants Viserys shamefully, in my view. It should have been

Lives of Five Kings.”

The prince laughed. “Viserys hardly reigned a fortnight.”

“He reigned more than a year,” said Tyrion.

Oberyn gave a shrug. “A year or a fortnight, what does it matter? He poisoned his own nephew to gain the

throne and then did nothing once he had it.

“Baelor starved himself to death, fasting,” said Tyrion. “His uncle served him loyally as Hand, as he had

served the Young Dragon before him. Viserys might only have reigned a year, but he ruled for fifteen, while

Daeron warred and Baelor prayed.” He made a sour face. “And if he did remove his nephew, can you blame

him? Someone had to save the realm from Baelor’s follies.”

I found it curious since Tyrion will be accused of doing exactly that a few hours later.

• 2 weeks later...

I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs. And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow.

-aSoS, Chapter 43

This is clearly talking about Sansa. Although I'm not sure if the savage giant refers to Sweetrobins doll (something that already happened) or perhaps Sweetrobin himself (hasn't happened).

This is clearly talking about Sansa. Although I'm not sure if the savage giant refers to Sweetrobins doll (something that already happened) or perhaps Sweetrobin himself (hasn't happened).

Most obvious and mundane explanation is that it refers to Sweetrobin's doll. Others suggest that it refers to Littlefinger (since his coat of arms is a giant) or even Gregor (giant for obvious reasons), I myself favour LF theory.

Just noticed this today:

In DwD, Cersei gets all of her hair shaved while Dany feels her hair is growing back.

Also, Cersei is stripped down completely as a punishment, while Dany "reborns" naked after the fire burnt her clothes and hair, as a proof of her power.

Maybe Dany is indeed the Queen Cersei fears so much.

"In the days of the Targaryens, a man who struck one of the blood royal would lose the hand he struck him with," observed the Red Viper of Dorne. - ASOS.

Guess you could say that, eventually, Jaime got his punishment for 'striking' Aerys.

"In the days of the Targaryens, a man who struck one of the blood royal would lose the hand he struck him with," observed the Red Viper of Dorne. - ASOS.

Guess you could say that, eventually, Jaime got his punishment for 'striking' Aerys.

Good point. When I read your post I also thought of Tyrion, though, as he did on more than one occasion strike Joffrey. I'm glad he didn't lose his hand as well as 1/2 of this nose. :P

In A Game of Thrones Jaime and Tyrion have this paraphrased little exchange:

"Some times I wonder which side you're on."

Tyrion grinned up at him wolfishly. "Brother you wound me. You know how much I love my family"

A hint at who Tyrion will side with in the end?

True, that is the second meaning and foreshadowing, but upon reading the first time it means that Renly looks like a young Robert, with their strong seed, as Jon Arryn would say.

i completely agree that its more foreshadowing intrestingly brienne then calls gendry a ghost of renly inAFFC

In GoT, after Tyrion tell Bron about his first marriage, Bron reply:

“Thirteen or thirty or three, I would have killed the man who did that to me.”

Tyrion swung around to face him. “You may get that chance one day. Remember what I told

you. A Lannister always pays his debts.”

Two books later Tyrion did that himself.

I'm sure this has probably been brought up before, but something Jon says on the last page of Arya I in AGoT:

"The longer you hide, the sterner the penance. You'll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers."

Can't help but feel worried for her.

I'm sure this has probably been brought up before, but something Jon says on the last page of Arya I in AGoT:

"The longer you hide, the sterner the penance. You'll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers."

Can't help but feel worried for her.

I got goose bumps just reading that. Sounds foreboding to me :(

Archived