How many swords can the north truly rise?

Tanus Blackfyre

now i know

now I know you are a troll, Tywin has never even been in the north. Her is an idea for you, go read the books and when you can discuss things in an intelligent manner like a big boy come back.

Now I'm sure you take things so seriously. I'm sure he meant the Red Wedding. Wiping off doesn't always mean killing everyone else. You could easily wipe off that army by just pacifying them.

I misunderstood you. Anyway I am not going to list the points others have already said. Ser rodrick had 2,000 men the mt clans 3,000 A select few lords kept men back either by robbs order or for ulterior motives. And anyway GRRM commented on this and said the north has many men left.

When Robb called his bannerman he got an army of 18,000 nothmen, but i was wondering, was that all the power in ther north?, beacause other houses can rise ten of thousands like Lannisters, Tyrell , even dorne can rise 50,000 men to fight being the smallest of the seven kingdoms.

So how many men can the north rise to fight if needed be?

Dorne cannot raise 50,000 men. That is a trick played to make their enemies fear them. In reality, they can field about 25,000

I imagine Robb mobilized more or less all he could get. My guess is the North at its very maximum could raise about 25,000 men. A dilemma of course if the Stormlands and Reach can both get up to 100,000 range.

The Reach can get up to the 100,000 range, but the Stormlands cannot. I have read somewhere that the Stormlands are actually one of the weakest of the Seven Kingdoms, because much of their land was taken away to form the Crownlands.

And the North can raise FAR more than a maximum of 25,000 men. Here's a quote by Free Northman on the Manderly's strength ALONE, posted on a different forum (http://asoiaf.wester...ly#entry3420556)

"Manderly gives us a lot of information in the Davos chapter in Dance.

He states that his lands include not just White Harbor but all the land from the White Knife to the Sheepshead Hills and the headwaters of the Broken Branch in the North to Ramsgate in the East.

This land is ruled by his vassals which include a dozen lords and 100 landed knights.

This is an area of about 300 miles by 300 miles - which is as large or larger than the Karstark or Bolton lands, but located much farther south (therefore warmer, more fertile and more populous). In fact, Davos says that the wind at White Harbor is like a "warm bath compared to the wind at EastWatch).

Manderly also rules the largest and most navigable river in the North, and the only city and major trade port of the North.

His city alone has about 50,000 inhabitants. It stands to reason that the 200 mile radius of land around it has ten or twenty times that number of rural inhabitants.

He has a navy of 50 warships. These would require a crew of 5,000 on their own.

Added to that, he must have at least 10,000 land based troops, of which at most 2,000 have been lost in Robb's war. Hence he can still raise at least 8,000 land based troops in addition to his naval forces, in my view. Probably more, if the levies he is gathering from refugees are added."

So if Manderly alone can raise 13,000 men, then the North can raise more than 25,000.

I imagine Robb mobilized more or less all he could get. My guess is the North at its very maximum could raise about 25,000 men. A dilemma of course if the Stormlands and Reach can both get up to 100,000 range.

Not at all. The south can simply support more people. Manderly can raise so many men because he can support them, he has the only city and port in the North I think, he should have more men.

The Mormonts are in the far north, but they are one of the main banner houses under the Starks. In other words, they aren't vassals to other Houses, but are listed as among the main bannermen to House Stark. They are therefore of some significance.

Their island is approximately 100 miles long by about 50 miles wide. They also supplement their resources by extensive fishing in the surrounding sea.

I would put them as weaker than the Umbers - who rule a much larger area.

I would put the Mormonts strength at about 1000 - 1500 men.

While Bear Island is situated quite north, they are capable of feeding themselves by fishing. Its residents likely have a very strong maritime culture, and especially so given their past as being ruled by the Ironborn. And like the Iron Islands, they likely can support a far larger warfighting force for their population than the typical medieval agrarian state.

I did read the books. The Red Wedding (aka the night the North died) was all Tywin's work..

You are very wrong here. The Red Wedding was all the Freys idea and the work of the Freys with Bolton in a supporting role and Tywin in the periphery.

You are very wrong here. The Red Wedding was all the Freys idea and the work of the Freys with Bolton in a supporting role and Tywin in the periphery.

Lame Frey may have engineered the idea to slay Robb at the wedding, but it was Tywin who brought all the conspirators together. Without him, the Freys and the Boltons would never have had the guts to kill the king in the north.

Basically, Tywin ended the Northern rebellion in a single night without even getting his hands dirty in the process.

Lame Frey may have come up with the idea to slay Robb at the wedding, but it was Tywin who brought all the conspirators together. Without him, the Freys and the Boltons would never have had the guts to kill the king in the north.

Basically, Tywin ended the Northern rebellion in a single night without even getting his hands dirty in the process.

Its still Frey and Boltons work as they came up with it, planned it and carried it out. Their work and their sins, with the majority of it falling on House Frey.

Its still Frey and Boltons work as they came up with it, planned it and carried it out. Their work and their sins, with the majority of it falling on House Frey.

Tywin enabled it. That's made quite clear in the books. He bears no small degree of responsibility.

EDIT:-

Fact: Ser Rodrik raised 2000 men in a few days around Winterfell to take back Torhenn Square from the Ironborn.

Fact: In addition to the Mountain Clans, Stannis has had 1000 more men join him from the Stony Shore and the Wolfswood, with more streaming in every day still.

IIRC, weren't some of these men survivors from Rodrik's force?

The Freys did not come up with the idea to kill Robb and his loyalists, Tywin did. All the Freys and the Boltons did was come up with a method to slay Robb.

Archived