Is there any way that Daenerys can die?

Timeslice

And like Butterbumps has already tried to tell you, the vast majority of people in this thread, even those who despise Stormbrat, accept that. So what are you arguing about?

Honestly, be it Dany or Jon Snow, I won't put any death past Martin at this point.

See what I mean? It's like Targaryens being fireproof -- the belief won't die.

Also, I can't help but remember a throw away line in Lord of the Rings, "The slaves of Sauron he (Aragorn) freed and gave them the lands around Lake Nurnen for their own." (that's a rough quote.) Anyway, that was it. All done. Aragorn didn't stick around to accept responsibility. Dany did. She tried. And she went out and fed the pale mare victims with her own hands.

Please, please don't start comparing Aragorn with Dany.

Why are you letting it bug the hell out of you?

Because, as applied to Jon, it has led to dozens of threads, if not more, centered on the idea that, yes, Jon can really be permanently gone. So much wasted energy. It reminds me of the time before A Dance with Dragons when so much effort was being put into discussing what word Brienne could have possibly screamed out as she was being hung when it was as much clear then, as it is now, that it was "sword."

I doubt dany would die soon. And if she did, more than half the story would become irrelevant. I don't mind her dying after taking the iron throne or in the battle against the others if that does happen. But right now, she is one of the main characters if not the main character. Time to accept it :)

I doubt dany would die soon. And if she did, more than half the story would become irrelevant. I don't mind her dying after taking the iron throne or in the battle against the others if that does happen. But right now, she is one of the main characters if not the main character. Time to accept it :)

I don't deny that she's a main character. What I and some others question is whether she's actually going to end up being heroic in any meaningful way. You can question that while still supporting the idea that she's important to the story. It's not like if she ends up going nuts, her impact is reduced.

smh...

Given the thing you quoted to complain about that, perhaps the comparison is more unfair to Daenerys than to Aragorn.

I'm not complaining, I'm just saying that you can't compare two completely characters, in different worlds, and by different authors and say one did a good thing and the other did a bad thing.

Besides, if they were slaves of Sauron, I think they could handle living by a lake XD

I mean this strictly in terms of writing and plotting. I absolutely can't stand her chapters, her story, her whole take-what-is-MINE attitude. Can't stand it. I really think that the books would be so much better if she would do us all a favor and get BBQ'd by one of her dragons.

Thing is, I don't think she can die. Her whole entitled fire-and-blood arc doesn't seem like it's anywhere near its end, as I can only see her A ) coming to Westeros eventually (and she's nowhere near that yet it would seem), or B ) ending book 7 realizing that she's meant for Essos (they can keep her as far as I'm concerned).

If she were to miraculously get removed from the narrative, I don't see how it could be anything but poor writing -- even though George would be doing us all a huge favor. After all, you can't really spend 5 books with a character who has only one goal, and then kill her off randomly. You can't just go Quentyn on one of your main characters, as his stay was extremely brief and even then people were up in arms asking "what was the point of that?".

As far as I can tell, Daenerys dying would further dampen her chapters as being nothing but a waste of time. Can anyone devise a scenario in which she dies and this doesn't become a problem?

she can burn to death!!

• 4 months later...

I find Dany's character ironic. Her actions all stem from "good". She never does anything dishonorable like many other characters (Robb getting married, Stannis killing Renly, Theon turning on the Starks, Jon and ygrette). Daario doesn't count because she was not married yet. GRRM seems to go a long way to making her a saint - the perfect leader who cares about her people. But she brought back dragons!

It's called a song of Ice and Fire. It appears the Others symbolize the ice while dragons are fire. Why is it that ice is bad but fire somehow is good? And the general sense from the Dany chapters is that her destiny is to at least try to reclaim the iron throne where she would be a just and honorable ruler. But is that really the destiny? Quaithe approached her in Qarth and seemed to indicate that Dany must go to Asshai. This is needed in order for her to be given "truth". Perhaps Danys purpose is much darker, only she doesn't know it yet. I just find it very strange that GRRM is so daring with painting characters as imperfect except for Dany. It would be quite the twist if she actually is the ultimate antagonist in the story.

Personally, I think the climax of the story will be a balance of Ice and Fire, done thru the elimination of both Others and Dragons (and their mother). So yes Dany will die IMO, but that will be the last death in the story.

Well you have a bunch of people who think they can do a better job writing the book than the author and they will tell you yes she can fall off her dragon or get burnt by her dragon blah blah blah. Can she die? Yes. Will she die? I don't know. I just cater to the idea that GRRM knows what he's doing and has had some good ideas thus far and will continue to.

• 1 year later...

OK so Daenerys is my favorite character and I am biased, but I still believe she might die at some point. Probably in the final book. And that's okay, as long as it's meaningful.

I don't think GRRM is portraying her as a morally perfect character. She is very flawed. She made a mess in Essos, for crying out loud!

Archived