Is there any way that Daenerys can die?

Timeslice

I've no issue with someone disliking Daenerys or her entire storyline but I grow weary of readers with their tired delusions of trying to make her seem less important than she is or transforming her into something she is not or hoping that she will perish soon.

Look, factually speaking, she is one of the three main characters of the books and her storyline will continue to assume very prominent placing going into the future and up until the ending stages of the series; accept that and move on.

Feel free to criticize her all the while but at least come to grips with the perimeters of reality in doing so.

I don't think she'll be dying soon, but do you mean twisting her into being something other than a hero? Because I thought that's what the second half of Storm and definitely DwD were trying to say. She's a major character, I agree, but at least right now she does appear on a villainous (or "unsympathetic" perhaps) course. Hence, I think that's why there's such a vocal contingent on here calling for her death. (And again, I'm not looking for her death here).

I don't think she'll be dying soon, but do you mean twisting her into being something other than a hero?

Personally, I think that idea is ridiculous; but really, I was referring more to a conception of her wherein she isn't one of the driving forces of the story and an indispensable element to the conclusion of the series.

We get it, you're a dany superfan, but just cause somebody doesn't like a character doesn't mean they're stupid or something.

No ... for example, atpthornton is a perfectly reasonable and rational non-fan.

Just most of her detractors on these forums are not. Hysterically posting silly shit like "FIRE AND BLOOD!!!!11!!one" is frankly fucking stupid, and it deserves to be called out as such and shown zero respect.

I have no problem at all with atpthornton's criticisms, though. Hell, I agree with them. Learning on the fly like Dany's doing is costly, and that's something to think about.

We get it, you're a dany superfan, but just cause somebody doesn't like a character doesn't mean they're stupid or something. Tons of people don't like Dany on these forums and there are valid reasons for it. Don't take it so personally or start using personal insults it's only a book. People like who they like if this board marched in step on every single character/issue regarding ASOIAF it wouldn't be very much fun.

:agree:

I have vehement disagreements with some posters on this board about one character or another but in another thread we might have a very insightful and lovely conversation about another character or plot aspect. Developed some quite interesting internet/forum relationships based on disagreement. I think some lose out by taking opinions too personally. We all (presumably) love the books and love discussing them so much that we devote a large amount of our time on this site. I can't understand why a person would continue to be an active member if they do not like the attitudes and opinions of other forumers. There have been several posters who've basically said, "Ok, I like the books but this forum is just not for me." Seems much easier to do that than to get one's blood pressure up over opposing opinions.

If she had stayed in Mereen, there might have been a possibility of her dying and ending her plot arc right there, leaving the dragons for Victarion or Quentyn or Tyrion or pretty much anybody capable enought to claim. By getting her out of Mereen, though, GRRM has started a new part of her story arc. She's not going to die until she's seen Mereen again.

It is a possibility she'll never reach Westeros, but I think it is unlikely. I think it would surprise her even more than the readers if she did.

Once she has gone there she might die, though.

If she had stayed in Mereen, there might have been a possibility of her dying and ending her plot arc right there, leaving the dragons for Victarion or Quentyn or Tyrion or pretty much anybody capable enought to claim. By getting her out of Mereen, though, GRRM has started a new part of her story arc. She's not going to die until she's seen Mereen again.

It is a possibility she'll never reach Westeros, but I think it is unlikely. I think it would surprise her even more than the readers if she did.

Once she has gone there she might die, though.

Err.... Quentyn got BBQed, but aside from that good assumption.

Dany pisses me off because of Meereen, its bland characters and her indecision. Her arc from AGOT to ASOS was one hell of a travel: from a slave to a conqueror, she learnt much lessons and used deftly the resources at her disposal. But slogging in Meereen, her fantasms about Daario's golden teeth and forgetting Westeros makes her dull up to her last 2 chapters in ADWD. I undestand it could be all a set-up by GRRM for the final turn but it's hard to read compared to what she went through in the first 3 books.

And concerning her "fate", I think she isn't dying anytime soon. She'll go to Westeros and in some ways contribute to the fight with the others. Then alea jacta est, she could slip on a banana and fell from the Hightower or rule Westeros.

Err.... Quentyn got BBQed, but aside from that good assumption.

I know he was BBQed. And I also know Dany left Mereen. I was speaking about a hypothetical situation where she didn't, and where GRRM might have decided not to cook the prince of Dorne.

I've no issue with someone disliking Daenerys or her entire storyline but I grow weary of readers with their tired delusions of trying to make her seem less important than she is

:blink:

The whole point of this thread is that Dany is too important to die. But I find it weird that you are offended by people disliking her as a character.

The whole point of this thread is that Dany is too important to die. But I find it weird that you are offended by people disliking her as a character.

No, I said the opposite: I've no issue with readers disliking her as a character. As a point of fact, even though I don't, I can see why many would. Her storyline is very much different than the rest of the characters.

Dany pisses me off because of Meereen, its bland characters and her indecision. Her arc from AGOT to ASOS was one hell of a travel: from a slave to a conqueror, she learnt much lessons and used deftly the resources at her disposal. But slogging in Meereen, her fantasms about Daario's golden teeth and forgetting Westeros makes her dull up to her last 2 chapters in ADWD. I undestand it could be all a set-up by GRRM for the final turn but it's hard to read compared to what she went through in the first 3 books.

And concerning her "fate", I think she isn't dying anytime soon. She'll go to Westeros and in some ways contribute to the fight with the others. Then alea jacta est, she could slip on a banana and fell from the Hightower or rule Westeros.

Hard to disagree with, save that I actually like Daario (okay, not his gold tooth ... but I like his personality, flawed as it is). Other than that, though, I'm on the same page with you on this, but maybe this bad spot was narratively necessary somehow. I guess we'll see ...

... but I swear to god, if she spends the Winds of Winter hanging out in Mereen the entire time again, I may start to lose my patience as well. I'm ready for more awesomeness from her now like she did in Storm of Swords.

Hard to disagree with, save that I actually like Daario (okay, not his gold tooth ... but I like his personality, flawed as it is). Other than that, though, I'm on the same page with you on this, but maybe this bad spot was narratively necessary somehow. I guess we'll see ...

... but I swear to god, if she spends the Winds of Winter hanging out in Mereen the entire time again, I may start to lose my patience as well. I'm ready for more awesomeness from her now like she did in Storm of Swords.

But the problem with her is that given the current mess in Meereen, either she stays there and fix it somehow or she just sets sail for Westeros and leaves them in anarchy, i.e. new Astapor with the butcher king...

:agree:

I have vehement disagreements with some posters on this board about one character or another but in another thread we might have a very insightful and lovely conversation about another character or plot aspect. Developed some quite interesting internet/forum relationships based on disagreement. I think some lose out by taking opinions too personally. We all (presumably) love the books and love discussing them so much that we devote a large amount of our time on this site. I can't understand why a person would continue to be an active member if they do not like the attitudes and opinions of other forumers. There have been several posters who've basically said, "Ok, I like the books but this forum is just not for me." Seems much easier to do that than to get one's blood pressure up over opposing opinions.

hah yeah totally! For example me and Winter's Knight tend to disagree on alot of things, Dany, Cersei, etc....but I still think she's one of the smartest people on the board and we get along. It should be fun to riff on this stuff and debate, not a mud slinging contest.

One person's take:

Daenerys had 10 chapters in A Dance with Dragons.

The first and the last two were marvelous.

The seven in between were not and their narrative purpose could have been accomplished in two or three chapters. And this is coming from someone who really likes the character.

Incidentally, I think Jon Snow's story suffered from a similar problem (although, to a lesser scale). There were two or three chapters too many given what was trying to be accomplished.

yea she'll die eventually, as will everyone else, and now that i think about it, Dany prob wont sit the Iron Throne, if the ironborn will not follow a woman, why would the rest of westeros? and we seen from the Dance hundred of years ago, that woman were not allowed to inherit the Throne, she would need to marry and then he would be Lord of the Seven Kingdoms

As to the importance of Daenerys: what is it? she even tells it herself; all they want is her dragons. What else would they (westerosi) want from her (that they couldn't get from somewhere else, and better)?:

her "great strategic mind and military experience"? lol

her "brilliant ruling capabilities and understanding of the game of thrones"? lol2

her being the last of the Targaryens and "rightful" heir to the throne? (not really and not anymore)

her entittled bratty attitude? plenty of that in westeros already

She's only starting to affect the people and politics of westeros (after five books) so her being a "driving force of the story" so far has yet to be seen (unless you care about Essos bore fest, in which case... good for you and all).

Archived