HBO Promo paperweight

coreywt

Congratulations on your win; I somehow never saw that earlier, laser-etched eBay offering, sad to say, otherwise I would have gone for it! I'm always scouring eBay for serious Game of Thrones and other collectibles for my diverse collections.

I was, in fact, bidding on that latest one last night and got sniped at the last second; these clear glass, etched HBO paper-weights are (apparently) just a promo item and are not generally available, much like other GoT promo merchandise that HBO produced for the show last year. Serious collectors are getting savvy to these GRRM/HBO items, as you just saw demonstrated last night. Being one of them, I'm not at all happy I lost that auction; but having been an eBayer for 14 years, I've learned that patience is a virtue--that and to make frequent site searches.

If that remains so for this glass Iron Throne item, you'll have purchased a pretty nice, rare show collectible--and at a real bargain price, too!

Laser-etched, glass paper weights (and paper weights in general) are a serious collectible with a harecore collectors' following; I have a few other (non-Game of Thrones) transparent laser-etched paper-weights among my various collections; they display nicely, especially when lit from below with lighted display stands that are also available.

• 3 months later...

Virtue Triumphant! Just snagged it for $51.09, plus shipping: cheap. (My first purchase of 2012's "Black Friday," the busiest shopping day of the year, as holiday mass-consumption frenzy grips the U.S. for the next 30 days). Not bad when you consider how rare these are, having only been HBO promo items produced in very small numbers.

Thanks coreywt, once again, for the eBay head's-up!

You're welcome. The price on this item seems very volatile. :) I suspect the lack of competing bids I got on mine has something to do with eBay's practice of burying or hiding certain listings from certain sellers or buyers in certain regions or with certain selling histories, etc.

I put my paperweight on a base that lights up and reflects through the Iron Throne. It's cool.

If three of these have appeared in the last six months, you can bet a few more (at least) will now show up at eBay. Especially at this time of year when everyone "clears out their attics and basements" for extra cash during the holidays. It's a yearly ritual at eBay. As a logtime Collector (cap "C"), I'm already seeing results. So keep a sharp eye out between now and Xmas and think positive. If I see any more I'll send you a PM, Marakh.

If three of these have appeared in the last six months, you can bet a few more (at least) will now show up at eBay. Especially at this time of year when everyone "clears out their attics and basements" for extra cash during the holidays. It's a yearly ritual at eBay. As a logtime Collector (cap "C"), I'm already seeing results. So keep a sharp eye out between now and Xmas and think positive. If I see any more I'll send you a PM, Marakh.

Awesome, thanks.

Yes, coreywt, you have to know how to properly list an item at eBay to get absolute maximum exposure. I've picked up items I've previously lost because someone used a non-precise caption description or put the item in the wrong collectible catagory. But I do only multiple macro searches, casting big sweeps for just these kinds of items, just so I see everything available. The key is to do it often if you have the time. And use key variable search words or phrases to root out everything you're looking for. My system has worked very well for me considering the more than 3000 auctions I've won since 1998 (I'm including those that couldn't bother to leave feedback--about 25%, typical for eBay Sellers.)

Archived