Theon Sample Chapter; The Letter sent to Jon (Spoilers)

Jon is not dead ,in my opinion... and therefore I don't think he will need resurrection. But time will tell.

You know, GRRM has said that laws are pretty much subject to change according to the wishes of whoever holds power.

Are you saying that the person(s) who wrote the letter intended to " set into motion the events leading to Jon's death and his subsequent resurrection. " ? E.g. , Mance , Stannis, Ramsay , etc. ... or that it's GRRM's intention ?

The oath itself declares how the oath taker will act until his death. Oddly enough, it doesn't say where he must be to do it. The wall is a singular construction ( in all respects) ,but the oath says " I am .. the watcher on the walls .."

It's impossible for any of the proposed authors to accurately predict how Jon would react to the letter and the chain of events that would follow. I'm stating that the letter was the tool GRRM used to set into motion the events leading to Jon Snow's death.

"The Night's Watch takes no part in the wars of the seven kingdoms."

Within that framework, and the obligations of a Lord Commander there are great limitations placed on what Jon Snow can do going forward.

I realize laws change according to who wields power, an oath dating back 8000 years sworn before the old gods is something more than law though. The only way I see Jon legitimately getting out of his oath to the NW is through his death. By any other means it would diminish Jon's character.

The only trouble with that is, the oath is so old , and so much has been forgotten, we don't even know what the original oath was. When the black gate lets Sam through , Sam doesn't recite the whole oath.. So not all of the oath may apply.

Archived