Thoughts on Jaimie "kingslayer" lannister

Cory

Ive just recently finished clash, and I'm undecided on how I feel about Jaimie lannister. Sure, he has had a few loyalty issues, and at this stage of the series, I'm aware he's being made a villain, but when it come to his house/family especially concerning his sister,

I feel like he would do anything for them. So what are your thoughts good guy bad guy? Good guy when it suites him?

I think it is almost obvious that before the series is over, Jamie is going to make a turn into a "good guy". To this point, the only thing he has really done that has made me say "He's a bad man!" is push Bran off of the tower. Even that was somewhat justified because it was either Bran dies (who he has no allegiance whatsoever to) or his lover/sister and kids/nephews/nieces die (because if incest was confirmed by an eyewitness, especially having the credibility of nobility, then they would all be executed. His family would be destroyed by the Baratheons as well.)

Sure, he is conceited and cocky and arrogant. But those qualities don't make him "bad" or "good", they make him a little unlikeable.

First off, I think aSoS will really change our way of seeing him and his actions.

mostly because he has PoV chapters

But even at this point... I don't want to sound cheesy, but I think true love can justify most of what he does. Characters are super deep and realistic in asoiaf, but I know that when you convince yourself another person is all that matters, you can really stop realizing the consequences of your actions.

I am not saying he is the "screw adults i'm so in love lol" retarded kid, just that Cersei is most of everything he has ever wanted.

We know that their relationship started really soon, so imho this simple fact makes a lot of the stuff he did forgivable.

Of course I realize he is a lot deeper than that, but I can't help but like him, and am really excited to learn more about what goes on in his head.

ACOK Jaime is not really very likeable, or even respectable IMO.

His desire to protect his family and House are a very poor excuse to anything that he has ever done that we know of as of the first two books.

I will say no more, because this _is_ the ACOK Still Reading forum.

ACOK Jaime is not really very likeable, or even respectable IMO.

I see your point but he does have some respectable qualities. He's a one woman man, which shouldn't be underestimated in a world full of rapists - and whilst his slaying of the King was probably self serving it was his most valiant act that he's mocked for undeservedly. Can't wait for his POV chapters in later books.

"if an onion is have full of rot, it's rotten, you're either good or evil"

Sorry had to say it

You can't say Jaime lannister is good/evil, sure he flinged bran from the tower and has relationship with his sister but as you keep on reading the books you will see my point.And there are very few characters in GRRM's universe who can be said as pure evil/good.I can name a few evil ones but i don't want to spoil your reading of further books.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it is almost obvious that before the series is over, Jamie is going to make a turn into a "good guy". To this point, the only thing he has really done that has made me say "He's a bad man!" is push Bran off of the tower. Even that was somewhat justified because it was either Bran dies (who he has no allegiance whatsoever to) or his lover/sister and kids/nephews/nieces die (because if incest was confirmed by an eyewitness, especially having the credibility of nobility, then they would all be executed. His family would be destroyed by the Baratheons as well.)

Sure, he is conceited and cocky and arrogant. But those qualities don't make him "bad" or "good", they make him a little unlikeable.

Spoilers for Season 2 of GOT if anyone cares.

I agree. And it just makes me so angry to see how they messed it up in Season 2 of Game of Thrones, with Jaime first talking friendly with that squire in the cage and then killing him, and another of Karstarks sons too. Those were horrible actions that the book version of Jaime never did! And even though I understand that they couldn't be completely faithful to the book in Season 2, since they had only 10 episodes, I don't see why it was necessary to have Jaime do that.

Anyway, I feel that deep inside Jaime is more good than bad, and since he is one of the few characters that actually have some love for Tyrion instead of condemning him simply because he's a dwarf, it makes me like Jaime a little more. He truly loves his family, and that is at least something.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

At first i didn't like him , but after some point i realised that he's awesome , especially in the Catelyn-Jaimie scene the man was brilliant,cynical and was acting like a boss :cool4: . He is not a bad guy , he does everything for his family. Plus he killed the mad shitty king and is a very skilled knight. Sir Jaimie is one of the most interesting characters i can tell , despite his faults and passions!

He is clearly not even in the top 10 of evil people in the series.

Literally the only thing he has done wrong (we will leave incest aside since in certain circles it was acceptable those days) was push Bran from a window. as is pointed out above, this is a completely understandable action in brutal times where NOT pushing him could lead to the death of literally your entire family.

Just that people really love boring Bran for some reason so they hate Jaime.

• 2 months later...

Ive just recently finished clash, and I'm undecided on how I feel about Jaimie lannister. Sure, he has had a few loyalty issues, and at this stage of the series, I'm aware he's being made a villain, but when it come to his house/family especially concerning his sister,

I feel like he would do anything for them. So what are your thoughts good guy bad guy? Good guy when it suites him?

I never understood why he was so hated for killing King Arys. I had always thought it was the one good act he'd done. I've honestly never liked Jamie except for his little quips. On the whole of it, the guy is just an arrogant jerk.

Archived