Fallen characters: appreciation thread

I'm not so straightforward on that matter, I guess.

Rhaegar: That is all true, he made a fatal mistake. Still, he couldn't have known, and still the chain of events could have stopped at any next link. The fact that it didn't is not Rhaegar's responsibility in my measures. I mean Aerys burning Rickard and Brandon here. Or Brandon shouting for Rhaegar to come out and die. And yes, he should have known better. But I still don't find it in my heart to condemn Rhaegar for willing to be happy just for a short while with Lyanna. No matter how he dishonored Elia with it, or what it resulted in. And everything is relative. The whole stuff depends on who you compare Rhaegar to. And I admit that the whole basis of my point is mostly emotional... :stunned:

He had to know. He wasn't a common everyday man neither Lyanna was a plain woman.

He had to know. He wasn't a common everyday man neither Lyanna was a plain woman.

I don't know... He had to know Brandon would go and threaten to kill him and for that his father would burn him which would make Brandon's brother and Lya's betrothed rebel against them? He had to know he would lose on the Trident and that Jaime and Tywin would betray the Targaryens and slaughter his family? He had to know all that because Lyanna was highborn and he was crownprince? I'm not sure. There was a lot more up to other people and to fate than with Robb Stark and Walder Frey Red Wedding.

Well the thing is he could have known... dependent on what he knew of Robert and Brandon... Tourney of Harrenhal... Damn, I want Howland Reed... :o

I don't know... He had to know Brandon would go and threaten to kill him and for that his father would burn him which would make Brandon's brother and Lya's betrothed rebel against them? He had to know he would lose on the Trident and that Jaime and Tywin would betray the Targaryens and slaughter his family? He had to know all that because Lyanna was highborn and he was crownprince? I'm not sure. There was a lot more up to other people and to fate than with Robb Stark and Walder Frey Red Wedding.

Well the thing is he could have known... dependent on what he knew of Robert and Brandon... Tourney of Harrenhal... Damn, I want Howland Reed... :o

He had to know that he wouldn't get away with this.

I want Howland Reed too.

Does Rhaego count as a fallen character? The stallion who would have mounted the world...

If you want it why not?

Does Rhaego count as a fallen character? The stallion who would have mounted the world...

I'm sure he does. :( Poor Rhaego. I wish he could have mounted the world....

He had to know that he wouldn't get away with this.

I want Howland Reed too.

I think he did know. But he never thought it would end up like this. :/

Ah, Howland Reed. Let's create a We Want Howland Reed Club... As if GRRM would show him to us, if we did... I hope we'll learn what the hell happened at the Tourney of Harrenhal and at Tower of Joy

God no! He is better off! We are full of secret Targs, another one would be useless.

No-no-no-no-no. You misunderstand me. Rhaego will mount Essos. The Dothraki sea. Some cities. Old Valyria. He will have his father's dothraki blood and fear the black salty water or what. He'll stay away from Westeros as far as he can. Or that was my plan for him, before he died :(

No-no-no-no-no. You misunderstand me. Rhaego will mount Essos. The Dothraki sea. Some cities. Old Valyria. He will have his father's dothraki blood and fear the black salty water or what. He'll stay away from Westeros as far as he can. Or that was my plan for him, before he died :(

I will accept it if it's for Essos. :devil:

People who say Robb was responsible for the RW are missing the point.

Yes Robb broke his word. The accepted response from the Freys was what originally happened. They withdrew their levies and went home.

If they barred the northern host from passing and let Tywin Lannister smash them from the rear, they'd be disliked, but it would be understandable.

What they did was accept his apology, his concession of his great lord uncle Edmure as a wedding gift, and agreed to renew their loyalty.

And then they murdered their guests at the dinner table.

Robb didn't cause the RW.

It was a totally gross action with no foundation in westerosi customs.

And finding someone to agree with your viewpoint isn't proof of a grownup debate.

Ok everyone pick 5 of your favourite fallen characters-

1. Oberyn Martell - BADASS, took down the biggest and most feared Knight in the Kingdom with a spear in his great and 15 year long mission of revenge for his family. Prince of Dorne, studied as a Maester but got bored after nearly finishing his studies, roamed the Free Cities as a youth, started his own Sellsword Company, is known as the Red Viper of Dorne, has six illegitimate children which he raised as Ninjas (known as the Sand Snakes), fights with poisons and spears, and pledged a holy Oath to avenge his sister and the butchered children of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen. Need I say more?

2. Lord Beric Dondarrion- the Lightning Lord (sounds cool anyway you say it) who defends the realm with a band of Outlaws from tyranny, while maintaining the King's Justice and providing a Holy Mission for previously lawless, aimless men. It is rumoured he has recrutied thousands to the Brotherhood witohut Banners, and provides a significant underground threat to the Lannisters, while being a man of the people.

3. Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell- just a boss. An honourable, chivalrous, strong man of integrity and kindness. He also defeated three of the most renowned Kingsguard that Westeros had ever known with just six other men, helped to overthrow a three hundred year old dynasty, defeated the Greyjoy Rebellions and ruled the North for twenty years when he had never been intended to. Also, he nearly beat the Kingslayer, Jaime Lannister, in single combat. WHUDDABOSS.

4. His son Robb Stark, the Young Wolf- *Sniff* I...... *Sniff*...... I can't.

5. Tywin Lannister- also a boss. A hard man, but still a boss. A man to whom my profile picture is dedicated.

Your turn, pick 5 of your favourite fallen characters. It's harder than it looks, so many awesome characters die, and how many are toast for the future? God damn you GRRM, making these characters and baking these characters. Sad times.

Robb Stark - Why does my favourite character in every single thing always have to die? I am glad he died without ever losing a battle though, that was a nice touch.

Robert Baratheon - Really enjoyed every scene he was apart of. He might have been a drunk and a poor King, but he was a brilliant character.

Ned Stark - The most shocking, definitely. How can you kill off the main character just like that? How?

People who say Robb was responsible for the RW are missing the point.

Yes Robb broke his word. The accepted response from the Freys was what originally happened. They withdrew their levies and went home.

If they barred the northern host from passing and let Tywin Lannister smash them from the rear, they'd be disliked, but it would be understandable.

What they did was accept his apology, his concession of his great lord uncle Edmure as a wedding gift, and agreed to renew their loyalty.

And then they murdered their guests at the dinner table.

And finding someone to agree with your viewpoint isn't proof of a grownup debate.

And what you say contains any "proof of a grownup debate"?

Seriously now. When someone use you or better makes you a deal but then he doesn’t keep his promise dishonor his word, insult you, take you for a fool etc. you should say thank you or except his apology? F@@k his apologies he is going to pay for what he has done. Of course Robb and his actions caused RW as much as Frey's actions.

My Top 5

Sir Arhtur “Sword of the Morning” Dayne- Do I have to explain myself?

Ashara Dayne- Beauty and passion withhauting violet eyes

Brandon Stark-The rock star playboy with the wolf blood

Elaena Targaryen- I Love her because she was so different,like a younger and older Queen of the Thorns.

Aemon the Maester-Egg, I dreamed that I was old.

and with one rule: he keeps his mother in Essos two. She is in Essos but the threaten us that she will come to Westeros. Dany's :bs:

Totally. Daenerys would have been better off she just stayed Drogo's khaleesi.

No, he didn't cause it, he just helped a lot. I understand what you say, but from Frey point of view: Robb Stark wanted to cross. We put terms to him, he accepts and he crosses. He takes our soldiers and rides south to battle. We let him cross, gave him our men. And what does he do? Beds and marries the first girl in his path pissing on everything he agreed with us.

What is proof of a grown up debate, pray tell me? And I don't remember agreeing on anything but the theoretical fate of baby Rhaego with Jon's Queen Consort. We disagreed on Rhaegar and we don't entirely agree on the Red Wedding either. So what are you trying to say, pray?

Five fallen characters:

Tywin Lannister, Lord of Casterly Rock, Warden of the West - the world will fall to pieces without him

Khal Drogo - Daenerys was doomed the moment he died, he was a great khal, a good husband and he would have made a loving father

Princess Elia Martell of Dorne - sweet, innocent, dutiful wife of Rhaegar who deserved a better life

Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone - "the greatest king Westeros never had" (someone said this on another thread, credits to him/her)

Rhaenys Targaryen - sweet and innocent, the greatest loss in the whole series.

When someone breaks faith with you, you take back what was given in the original agreement.

In the case of the freys, that's use of the crossing and levies.

Nobody would've blamed them for withdrawing their troops and barring their gates.

That's acceptable recourse for Starks actions.

Killing them when their weapons have been taken and they have eaten at your board, ie when they were least expecting a slaughter is cowardly and a gross violation of moral customs.

But I don't expect reasonable from QJC, honestly. Seen other posts from you, and know what to expect.

Your kinda like a Frey in that respect now.

When someone breaks faith with you, you take back what was given in the original agreement.

Nobody would've blamed them for withdrawing their troops and barring their gates.

That's acceptable recourse for Starks actions.

Killing them when their weapons have been taken and they have eaten at your board, ie when they were least expecting a slaughter is cowardly and a gross violation of moral customs.

But I don't expect reasonable from QJC, honestly. Seen other posts from you, and know what to expect.

In the case of the freys, that's use of the crossing and levies.->They had pass so how can you take that back?

And I should care why? You came to a thread to fight :bs: with someone who has different opinion with you and you didn't even answer to the OP. :stillsick:

I know what honor means and how it works. If you don't that's your problem.

And how the bloody hell was Walder Frey supposed to

take back

the crossing? Build a time machine and say no to Robb Stark? And his soldiers that died in the Whispering Wood or during the other battles? HOW could he take those back?

That much is true enough.

In bold: The WHOLE ASOIAF is gross violation of moral customs, so that's not playing here, sorry.

And now you feel very grown up, I trust? :eek:

And how the bloody hell was Walder Frey supposed to

take back the crossing? Build a time machine and say no to Robb Stark? And his soldiers that died in the Whispering Wood or during the other battles? HOW could he take those back?

Lord Frey could be Doctor's new companion and use the TARDIS to go back in time.

Archived