Is all the Dany hate to do with ADWD?

total1402

Because, to me thats more an issue with how Martin wanted to write the story; in the same vein as wanting to spend so much of AFFC devoted to Cersei. Martin clearly doesn't want Dany returning to Westeros any time soon and wants her to go through this learning process rather than take the easy route. He also clearly doesn't want it cut into stone about what Dany is going to do once she gets there. Hence she has not had the discussion with Barristan or Jorah about what her father did. Its not relevent since he doesn't want Dany in Westeros too soon, and since so many characters she would want vengence on end up dead it makes creating any plan of action premature. Her feelings on this are meant to be ambiguous and not clear to the reader. We can only infer from her actions. It would be less interesting if Dany just stated plainly to us that shes not going to kill the Stark children out of spite. Her not training her dragons is also for this reason. Martin wanted to focus on the ruling aspect and having Dany learn to tame her dragons wouldn't mesh well with that. It would be too magical and wouldn't make her seem as weak and helpless as the plot needs her to be in ADWD. If we knew that she was making progress with the dragons and was probably going to burn the slavers then we would probably trivialise a lot of the other things happening in the book. So Martin marginalised the dragons to avoid the Mereen story being overshadowed; because obviously the growing dragons will draw the readers attention. I also think that dragon training is more of a wilderness type thing, doing it in a city would confer a sense of control that would be inappropriate. Theres also the fact that Martin wanted Drogon to teleport Dany into the Dothraki sea which required her to have nocontrol over them; otherwise Drogons wandering would make no sense plot wise.

Was there even a particular dislike of Dany before ADWD?

There was some hate, from what I recall of the few months I read the boards before ADWD came out and from some older topics I've read (it's not hard to find quite a few of those in from the years before ADWD came out), but it was nothing compared to the current level.

The hate for Dany derives from several reasons

1. Her insistence of mentioning her background and birth "Blood of the Dragon " in a very annoying way

2. Her ignorance of the realities of her house; she refuses to see the bad of her house

3. Her lack of listening to others

4. Her presumption; she wants to take over a land she knows nothing about

5. Her one-note personality : in the fifth book her thoughts and actions say the same thig again and again

I do not hate Dany, I am just less interested in the storyline across the sea, compared to the Westros storylines, or Aryas.

This, I think, is the major criticism of Dany and her storyline pre-Dance. The list right above it also captures some of the problems with her perceived haughtiness.

Dance ramped up the hate though.

I think it does. The rest of the book was so tight and breathtaking, every chapter brought a new revelation and broke new ground, but Dany's chapters were bogged down by her indecisions and band of misfit Meereenese.

I think it does. The rest of the book was so tight and breathtaking, every chapter brought a new revelation and broke new ground, but Dany's chapters were bogged down by her indecisions and band of misfit Meereenese.

I'd argue that Theon and perhaps Jon had interesting storylines-everyone else was frustrating.

The hate for Dany derives from several reasons

1. Her insistence of mentioning her background and birth "Blood of the Dragon " in a very annoying way

2. Her ignorance of the realities of her house; she refuses to see the bad of her house

3. Her lack of listening to others

4. Her presumption; she wants to take over a land she knows nothing about

5. Her one-note personality : in the fifth book her thoughts and actions say the same thig again and again

1. I get turned on when she does this, at least when Emelia Clarke does.

2. Do the Starks dwell on the evils their ancestors did. Her families crimes are more recent but she had to flee her home or be killed, its not her fault she did not get a good education and Viserys according to Barristan was sheilded fronm the truth by his Mother, who also had her head in the sand to an extent.

3. She listens when she feels like it. She the Khaleesi damm it.

4. Its her birthright, nobody is going to give it to her at this point. She has plenty of people from Westeros encouraging her to go their and do it, Selmy, Quentyn Martell, Jorah, The Greyjoys are on the way, Marwyn is going there as well and he beleives the Maesters will send someone else as well.

5. She 15, lots of kids her age play the same song over and over again, she will grow out of this.

I'm a relative noob but Dany's was pretty solidly disliked before ADWD. There were haters a-plenty when I joined, and she hadn't had a POV since ASOS at that point.

She's not the most compelling character in a series where almost everyone is either sassy or super-conflicted. She has big set-piece events that will give HBO's accountants some sleepless nights, but her story doesn't have something interesting happening on every other page like, say, Arya or Tyrion.

I think there's also a distinction to be made in that most other POVs are fighting for either self-preservation or straight-up survival, whereas after AGOT Dany's concerned with active conquest.

It existed before ADWD, but that book solidified it. Her arc prior to ADWD looks all the weaker (GOT aside, the one book in which I found her compelling and sympathetic) on rereads, to me. Having the benefit of seeing how she handles herself in ADWD adds a different perspective to many of her decisions (like getting the Unsullied). When I first read the Unsullied scene, I thought it was pretty cool and badass. Now I look at it and think, "I hope you're happy because this is going to cost you down the line."

I think most readers forget that shes a young girl that knows nothing of war or politics...

I see this excuse all. the. time. If she's a young girl who knows nothing of war or politics, isn't that a very good reason to suggest that she stay the hell out of war and politics?

See, the thing is I dont care about essos, I really dont. The story is in westeros. This was my original reason for not liking her chapters, then in clash she became annoying. I am hoping she learns from her mistakes and at least makes an effort to not sound like such a whiney brat. I dont hate just to hate.

I enjoyed Dany's POVs in the first two books, but less so in SOS. In ADWD I dreaded seeing her name at the start of a chapter. Reading her was the equivalent to hearing Charlie Brown's teacher talk.

I'm much more interested in other parts of the story. I don't hate her, but I would need a reason to like her again. If she can stop the nonsense with Daario, her self-righteous blather, start listening and get to Westeros I'll forgive her POVs in ADWD and write it off as teenage hormone imbalance. And I'm pissed that she sent Jorah away.

Or, I'd even be okay if Dany just flew off to the east on her dragon to never be heard from again.

It existed before ADWD, but that book solidified it. Her arc prior to ADWD looks all the weaker (GOT aside, the one book in which I found her compelling and sympathetic) on rereads, to me. Having the benefit of seeing how she handles herself in ADWD adds a different perspective to many of her decisions (like getting the Unsullied). When I first read the Unsullied scene, I thought it was pretty cool and badass. Now I look at it and think, "I hope you're happy because this is going to cost you down the line."

I see this excuse all. the. time. If she's a young girl who knows nothing of war or politics, isn't that a very good reason to suggest that she stay the hell out of war and politics?

That is the truth about her arc is ASOS. Its like staying up all night drinking a bottle liquor and having a lot of fun but the next day you have to go to work and it just sucks. Her chapters in ASOS taste good going down but they leave you with a bad hangover.

Oh, and I also get annoyed when a dany fan makes a ridiculous claim that makes no sense. Like, Dany is teh best general eva!!!! This is were alot of my hate comes from as well, her fans can be annoying.

This. I was never a huge Dany fan AGOT-AFFC, the whole calling Ned a usurpers dog nonsense, being delusional about the history and deposition of her house, and the "I WILL TAKE THE IRON THRONE WITH FIRE AND BLOOD AND CAPS LOCK!!!" is just too annoying.

A Dance with Daario only made it worse. I mean it was nine chapter of swooning and terrible governance.

This. I was never a huge Dany fan AGOT-AFFC, the whole calling Ned a usurpers dog nonsense, being delusional about the history and deposition of her house, and the "I WILL TAKE THE IRON THRONE WITH FIRE AND BLOOD AND CAPS LOCK!!!" is just too annoying.

A Dance with Daario only made it worse. I mean it was nine chapter of swooning and terrible governance.

But whenever I see Emelia Clarke doing this on the TV series I'm sitting there going, YES!, YES!

Archived