Who are the Spirits in the Tent during MMD's ritual?

Zabuza

Dany sees MMD dancing with shadows silhouetted on the outside of the tent.

"She glimpsed the shadow of a great wolf, and another like a man wreathed in flames."

Stannis' new sigil is a stag wreathed in flames.

Is the shadow man wreathed in flames the spiritual embodiment of Rh'llor?

Does the spirit wolf have anything to do with the Starks and the old gods?

Are Rh'llor and the old gods really allies?

Has anyone else noticed any other details that may pertain to these spirits and what they are or represent besides the "...powers old and dark. The dead will dance here tonight."?

Haven't seen anything else on this topic yet, interested in input.

If that one spirit is Rh'llor then it may explain how Dany was able to survive the hatching fire. Being that she isn't fireproof.

I cannot find anywhere else in the books where these spirits are mentioned or described. I beginning to think they are some part of a foreshadow. They are the only two silhouettes of any of the spirits described, this to me makes it important.

If R'hllor and the old gods are allies, seams possible because both hold back the others, the old gods with the wall and R'hllor with AA, Mel has some serious problems as a result of her lets burn the weirwoods actions

The man wreathed in flames was wighted Othor when Jon threw the burning drapes on him.

The wolf was Ghost.

So she was seeing a vision of actions in another part of the world? It makes much more sense than my theory, but who was granting the visions? Rh'llor? He is the only one besides BR that I know of that sends visions via fire.

This is very interesting. I think that the images are very important. I would only emphasize that they are shadows. I have often wondered how many shadow descriptions there are in these texts and what they may add up to thematically overall. I am far too lazy to do all that work.

This is very interesting. I think that the images are very important. I would only emphasize that they are shadows.

You mean that there is certain amount of substance to them since they cast a shadow through tent? Yes,there could be something about that.

"the dead will dance here tonight" dancing as in syrio kind of dancing or the other kind of dancing?

Well the term dance can be so ambigious, the only common theme in all dances is an artistic rhythmic body motion. Even Lions and Water buffalo battling back and forth is considered a dance. So by dancing she could mean "they come to perform their art here tonight."

Well the term dance can be so ambigious, the only common theme in all dances is an artistic rhythmic body motion. Even Lions and Water buffalo battling back and forth is considered a dance. So by dancing she could mean "they come to perform their art here tonight."

Patchface keeps talking about the dead dancing in DWD, I think MMD's spell had something to do with the others. Maybe she was sacrificing the child/Drogo to the Great Other

I thought they were spirits of the dead. Mirri Maz Duur at least says: "My song will wake powers old and dark. The dead will dance here this night."

Then lets see some descriptions of what is going on. "The tent was aglow with the light of braziers within. Through the blood-spattered sandsilk, she [Daenerys] glimpsed shadows moving. Mirri Maz Duur was dancing, and not alone. ... The sound of Mirri Maz Duur's voice was like a funeral dirge. Inside the tent, the shadows whirled. ... Inside the tent the shapes were dancing, circling the brazier and the bloody bath, dark against the sandsilk, and some did not look human. She glimpsed the shadow of a great wolf, and another like a man wreathen in flames...."

The next chapter leads us to the tormented dreams of Daenerys. And again there are ghosts, possibly connected with what she experienced in the tent. "Ghosts lined the hallway, dressed in the faded raiment of kings. In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade."

"Ghosts lined the hallway, dressed in the faded raiment of kings. In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade."

Ancestral Targs?

"Ghosts lined the hallway, dressed in the faded raiment of kings. In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade."

That also fits to the description of the hollow targ suits of armour below the RK, given that the armour once belonged to targs.

Ned in AGOT "relics of the Targaryens, black steel with dragon scales cresting their helms, now dusty and forgotten."

Sansa in ASOS "Along the walls stood empty suits of armor, dark and dusty, their helms crested with rows of scales that continued down their backs. As they hurried past, the taper's light made the shadows of each scale stretch and twist. The hollow knights are turning into dragons, she thought."

To be honest I dont think there actually is any "R'hllor" or even old gods.

The way it is written there certainly seems to be magical forces in the world, but there also seems to be th hint that no ones religion is correct, but all bastardizations. If there are actual gods that exist in the series, we dont know how or what they are.

Why should we assume that the shadows are in league with each other? To me it makes more sense that they are Rhollor (Flames) and the great other (Wolf). That would fit with Melisandre seeing Bloodraven and Bran as her enemies. MMD summoning both gods to hatch the dragons could be the song of ice and fire which will be needed again to defeat the others/kill the dragons.

Archived