A 17 years old rape victim revealed her underage attackers' name

Waldo Frey

Re: Nestor

Besides, considering the existence of sex offender registry and the relative low rate of physical violence against those on the registry, I'd think the evidence is pretty good that releasing someone's name for having committed sexual assault does not typically lead to violent physical assaults against such named people.

I link this again and say that yeah, no, sex offender registries are just pretty awful in general.

http://www.economist.com/node/14164614

There's a difference though between releasing names when a crime is committed and creating a lurid but vague eternal public list of shame.

How does this even help?

It allows law enforcement to keep track of sex offenders obviously. It also keeps the often hysterical public from getting access which makes it hard for them to do harm. It also worth noting that law enforcement will, at times, release the name of a sex offender if they deem their release will be a danger to the public. Again, sensible solutions.

That seems to leave the public at risk. Sexual predators are, based on what I've been told from victims, good at faking remorse.

I don't see the value to society in letting them out.

Really, this is a class of persons whose contact with the general public should be restricted.

That seems to leave the public at risk. Sexual predators are, based on what I've been told from victims, good at faking remorse.

I don't see the value to society in letting them out.

Really, this is a class of persons whose contact with the general public should be restricted.

That's your opinion but, no offence, thankfully it's a minority one here in Canada. People should be punished appropriately for whatever crime they commit but once they paid their debt to society they deserve a chance at reintegration. Again, it is the only sensible solution for a supposedly civilized and just society.

Guest Raidne

Back to the perps again, Raidne? Even when I said...NOT THE PERPS. I thought, after teh half dozen or so times I had said "not the perps, but people who, say, share teh same name" might have made clear it's not the perps, their rights, or their liberties I am saying could be at risk here, but innocent bystanders.

Oh have you? I haven't really been following this particular discussion. Just like you didn't read any of my posts with legal citations. But, thanks for the explanation.

With regard to the moral considerations, no, I don't think some person who shares the same name as my rapist not getting, say, a job interview because of it is a reasonably foreseeable consequences of releasing the names. I mean, I work with a guy named William Nelson. Jokes are made, but we didn't assume he'd fail the background check.

And that is a possibility in every criminal case. As such, I don't think we can really consider that consequences logically, because we don't. The names were sealed here because the perps were juveniles, but there's no additional risk from having the same name as a juvenile offender as opposed to an adult offender.

Actually, I think now that there is no real benefit to what she did for the general public at all, although it likely gave her mood a boost. That's no small thing, either.

I think protesting an unconstitutional court order always benefits the public because protecting our individual rights is important in a free, democratic society.

Archived