On Reasons for 'Liking' a Character

Jon Mark Selmy

Ok, there it is, my second thread. And it's not even a humorous one this time. Let's go about it:

What makes you like a character?

This is not a question as simple as it looks like. There seem to be three main reasons for liking a character, as I see it:

- The character is a 'good' person. Then what constitutes a good person to you?

- The character is competent. Then why do you think so (textual reference/reasoning)?

- The character is an interesting read. Then why is it, what part of it do you find interesting?

Does the character's general role in life influences your opinion (i.e. do you prefer politics to fighters? followers to leaders?)? Does her/his gender influeces it? Does his/her culture (hate Ironborn, like Dothraki and so on...)?

The exercise I'm proposing here is that you think about your top 3 or 5 characters and try to find padrons. Why you like them, etc. I've done this on my mind already, but I think I'll wait to post my own conclusions.

PS: Please, let's focus on stating our opinions and finding the similarities. And NOT on making 10-pages arguments about how somebody's opinion is wrong and thus he/she is a racist/misoginist/man-hater/moron/evil person. Pretty please?

PS 2: I'm specially interested on which of the three main camps most people follow (INTERESTING READ X GOOD PERSON X BADASS).

Because you see yourself, or a part of yourself, in that Character?

is it a good part or a bad part it doesn't really matter, but I think is definitely something that makes us like a character.

I'm definitely in the interesting read camp.

I like Tyrion, Varys, Cersei and lately LF & Sansa, etc, because I find their chapters and POVs (where applicable, otherwise, displayed personalities) in general quite interesting. That's also why I like the characters.

On the other hand, if someone's story is bleak and boring, I'll probably find the character unamusing (like Damphair and Jon at times).

I think to me the number one reason is being able to relate to the character. As Siziel said, be it in a good way or a bad way, I find the characters I like most are the ones I relate to the most: Jon, Arya, Brienne, Duncan, Stannis.

And yes, to pick one of the three categories I'd go with interesting read. The whole badass thing bores me to tears, actually. If an OP has 'badass' in it I won't even bother reading it.

I can explain to you why I "admire" a character, but I believe I ultimately "like" characters who are larger than life and have interesting philosophies, regardless of their good or evil. That's why my favorite character of all times is Joker.

I'll just brainstorm and see what I come up with.

1) Arya. I'm just invested in her storyline. Somewhere along the way, I felt like I got to know her. She came to life for me, and I started wanting certain things for her. I spend a lot of time thinking about her future and what is in store for her. I kind of feel like the best friend that knows her better than she knows herself. I guess you could say she its because she is relatable or interesting, but so are a lot of the other characters that aren't my favorites.

2) Jaqen. Mysterious assassin. The scene where he held two fingers up to his cheek to remind Arya this was her favorite kill just completely got me. What a clever, cool character. Don't have any ideal endgame for Jaqen, so I guess he'd just fit under your second category of "interesting". I mean he even talks weird and calls Arya an evil child. Sold.

3) Three is harder to pick. Jaime's got a lot going on character development wise, and I like his dynamic with Brienne a lot. Definitely can't say he is a good guy, but I sure do root for him. He is funny, and theres more to him than people give him credit for. And here it is, I think I've found my pattern. Depth !

I want to unravel the characters and get to know them, like Theon. Although I love Daenerys and Davos and others, they seem kind of one note to me. You know what they're about from pretty early on. (That is just my opinion on them anyway. There are a lot of people who praise Sansa for her depth and I just can't be bothered with her..)

I like Littlefinger. I like Arya. I like Davos. Identifying with characters is overrated. I am not good with money. I don't like pointy things. And I sure as hell not follow the guy who cuts off my fingers.

In your opinion. Identifying or relating to characters is overrated in your opinion.

Thought I'd mention that before everyone feels like they must share the same view or they'd be wrong. :)

In your opinion. Identifying or relating to characters is overrated in your opinion.

Thought I'd mention that before everyone feels like they must share the same view or they'd be wrong. :)

These views are mutually exclusive though, one party must be wrong.

Agreed. I believe that although very funny, pitakon is ultimately wrong. I mean, to ME a character being 'relatable' is far from the main reason I like him. But I believe most people do go with the whole empathy thing. Then again, most people are much more 'conected with their feelings' then I am. I even had to think a little in order to discover what character was more like me on another thread.

Actually, I even read the first three books without picking favorite characters. Then I perceived there were some POVs that were more entertaining, like Arya and Tyrion. And these gradually became my favorites. So I'm on the 'interesting read camp'.

Either most people find relating to a character a very important factor or most people don't. This can be determined statistically so there is a right answer. And I believe you are right even though I do not fit into the 'majority' on this.

Yeah, but that was my point. Different people will like different characters for different reasons. Nothing wrong with that, in fact, just the opposite. Variety is the spice of life. ;)

I go with interesting reads.

Ultimately though, I seem to enjoy the characters that expose the world to me an answer the questions that I want answered. For example I've really liked Bran chapters since he left winterfell because he was wandering around and hearing interesting stories and seeing new things. Similarly I liked Briennes chapters in AFFC because she was exploring their world and making it more real for me regardless of what that character actually achieved.

Gah, i'm not good at explaining my affections for characters but i'll try my best...

Jaime: He may not be the best guy around, but I like his complexity. He's funny, he's smarter than he looks, and his interactions with Brienne are golden. Though, the real reason I think he's my favorite is because his POV caught me completely off guard. When I opened up SoS I was really put off that I'd have to hear his internal jerkiness and naughty thoughts about Cersei, but I found his chapters and character enthralling and I just fell in love.

Arya: Her chapters are by far the most exciting in the series and I simply just find her to be the most badass 11 year old in fictional existence. Not to mention I was her carbon copy when I was her age, minus the ninja skills of course.

Sandor: He's a great fighter, has a nice dark past, is poorly misunderstood, and has great interactions with both Stark sisters. Plus, STRANGER. He has the coolest war horse ever.

Yeah, but that was my point. Different people will like different characters for different reasons. Nothing wrong with that, in fact, just the opposite. Variety is the spice of life. ;)

Part of the fun of the board is getting other people's opinions on characters; and of course, you're so right...our opinions are subjective. There is no right or wrong in character analysis. And I love the pink panther!:)

For me, I get involved the most with characters that I feel an emotional investment with. I worry about them; will they be safe going this route? Should they trust this person? There are POVs that I feel a huge amount of emotional investment in like Arya, Sansa, and Jaime, and then there are POVs that I enjoy for the entertainment value, but that I don't care as much about, like Tyrion and Dany.

Eta: I also notice that I tend to get more attached to those characters that are vulnerable, or at a disadvantage. I root for them much harder than I do others, for some reason.

I love Varys. He's just so superior. You do not want to mess with him. He's obsequious, devious, cunning, scheming and an utter mastermind. "The Spider" could not be more of an apt nickname for the man at the very heart of all the political, Machiavellian plots, murders, lies and endeavours of the whole Kingdom. Perhaps "The Puppetmaster" could suit him even more. He seems so unthreatening in that he's a mild-mannered, courteous, effeminately dressed eunuch who pads around in his soft silk slippers and acts innocently and fawningly, effortlessly concealing his gift at disguise and transforming his identity on a whim. He was raised an actor and a thief, trained in the arts of subterfuge, mimicry, concealment, diguise and trickery. He is a man who gained such renown across the Narrow Sea, that Aerys II recruited him and brought him to Westeros as his Grand Master of Whisperers. Varys is like what a chubby, middle-aged, effeminate and cheerful Head of the KGB would look like. He has survived four Kings and a helluva lot more plots, and always on top, with yet another Wild Card to introduce to the whole anarchic political splodge of King's Landing. He's awesome. Plus, how many of you have an army of ruthless Child Spy Ninjas? If life was Skyrim, Varys' Speech and Sneak Skill would be BOSS.

this is the only sentence that seems wrong to me,

I mean, evry one can pick a reason to love a character and the same person can love different characters for different reasons.

Isn't it?

Archived