On Reasons for 'Liking' a Character

Jon Mark Selmy

In your opinion. Identifying or relating to characters is overrated in your opinion.

Thought I'd mention that before everyone feels like they must share the same view or they'd be wrong. :)

LOL!!!!!!!! why must you assume that I mean it as fact not an opinion. The title practically says "REASONS WHY YOU LIKE A CHARACTER". when is that statement a fact.

This is just full of LOL...

Nice topic!

When I look at my favourite characters (Oberyn, Jaqen H'ghar and Dolorous Edd), I am attracted to things in their personality that I appreciate in myself and others.

In Oberyn I see a person who would go to Hell and back again to steal back a soul of a person he loves. A person who doesn't care about what others think, but is sensitive enough to mind the general rules so as not to cause too much awkwardness or genuine embarrassment.

I like that in people.

In Jaqen H'ghar I see a mysterious person with an unknown background who has little intention of sharing it. Again, I like that in people, because it makes me curious. Too many people are like an open book.

Dolorous Edd is comic relief. I enjoy his dry wit a lot.

What's not entirely unimported either, is the 'sins' we are willing to forgive in the characters. Everybody has a list of 'unforgivables'. I - for example - don't like oathbreakers. So I will like characters who do not like oathbreakers (and who aren't oathbreakers themselves) a lot more, whilst I won't like characters who think or do differently.

Long story short, it's a combination of the things we like to see, enforced by whatever we do not wish to see in people in general.

*corrected typo*

LOL!!!!!!!! why must you assume that I mean it as fact not an opinion. The title practically says "REASONS WHY YOU LIKE A CHARACTER". when is that statement a fact.

This is just full of LOL...

Because that kind of thing happens here a lot, trust me. People have an opinion and just assume it's 'the right one', as if there is such a thing. Because we deal with the written word only and cannot assess tone of voice, facial expressions and things like that, it never hurts to state an opinion as an opinion - 'I think', 'I believe', 'In my opinion' all come to mind.

When you say, 'identifying with characters is overrated', you are making a statement. When you say, 'identifying with characters is not important to me', you're giving your opinion. There is a difference. ;)

Wise man said: Ask you lover, some day, why does he loves you. If he can answer, you shall know then that he lies. Love knows no reason.

This one concludes perfectly what I'm going to say here.

I don't think there is any point in trying to find objective reasons for liking a character. Liking one character and not liking another is usually irrational with absolutely no background thinking about how badass or interesting or relatable a character is. But what bothers me more here is that this thread gives yet another ground to argue and insult each other. I'm not a pacifist really, but every time I express liking for a certain character around here I always get attacked from ten sides. Well maybe I am at fault too, who knows... What I'm saying is that with this thread you are providing ground of people to question whether others are even right liking somebody. And that is just ridiculous. Everybody likes whoever they like and there is no judging whether they have the good or the bad reasons for that.

I personally like characters I can relate to, or I am attracted to or are amusing. These are the usual three types. The first usually applies to female characters, the second to male characters and the third to those who don't fall into the potential crushes or potential 'me's category. Though sometimes some of them turn to a path I find despicable or annoying or uninteresting and I stop liking them.

I like Walder Frey as much as I like Olenna Tyrell with no regard to the Red Wedding at all. The two are very alike. Alteregos, if you like. Funny. Hodor, Tormund, Anguy, Lem Lemoncloack, Podrick Payne, Grenn, Pyp, Dolorous Edd, Tom O' Sevens Old Nan all fall into this category. I like them because they are amusing in one way or the other.

I like From-Cok-On Sansa Stark, Elia Martell, Ellaria Sand, Dalla, Gilly, Irri, Jhiqui because I can really relate to them. I was always a follower type and always for traditional female roles.

I like Khal Drogo, Oberyn Martell, Rhaegar Targaryen, Lord Beric Dondarrion and Mance Rayder because they are all the type of men who just stand in front of you, say three sentences and your knees give in. At least they are very much my type.

There are honorable mentions who I like because they are so characteristic and strong that you just can't ignore the aura the power and you are bound to like them, no matter how much you might want to hate them. That should be Tywin Lannister for a good start and Jaime from Storm of Swords. And also Varys, who I never thought to hate, but has the same strong aura, Jaime and Tywin.

And there are those I was disappointed in at some point and stopped liking them. Tyrion, for one. From Storm of Swords on, the guy is a disaster. Arya from Feast for Crows. Daenerys from Clash of Kings.

And the exception is Jon Snow who grew on me during Dance with Dragons. He is kind of the reverse of Daenerys.

Some characters I don't particularly love, but respect: Davos Seaworth, Kevan Lannister, Garlan Tyrell, Maesters Luwin and Aemon, Osha. The world needs people like that.

So go on, tell me if I'm right to like these guys or not. I'm really curious.

Edit: Doran Martell to the same section as Varys and Tywin and Jaime.

When I "like" a character it's usually a combination of:

1. Internal dialogue - I like seeing what goes on in a character's head and how it contrasts with their actions.

2. Imperfections of the characters - I like characters with many imperfections, and sometimes villainous. Let's just say I'm more interested in the antagonist or even an antihero.

3. Smart characters - I just hate stupid characters but can be neutral towards them if need be.

4. Funny characters - I love humor, that's that. Plus they tend to be wise but no one believes them.

So basically I like competent and interesting characters. Also I'm more into politics than fighting. In ASOIAF, the characters I "like" (the one's I like to read about, not necessarily like as a person) are Sansa, Cersei, Jaime, Brienne, Tyrion, Davos, Dolorous Edd, The Hound, Varys, Tywin, Hodor, among others. I get more out of reading about them, than say, Jon Snow, who's so emo or Arya who kills without seemingly having a moral dilemma. Even though I like Jon's and Arya's storyline, it's more fun to read about the Lannisters bitching about everything and Dolorous Edd making grim jokes.

So go on, tell me if I'm right to like these guys or not. I'm really curious.

He says in the original post not to talk about arguing who is right and wrong for liking a character. To my understanding this was just an experiment in understanding why people like different things. If we really took this post for what its meant for it'd probably help in understanding and realting to each other instead of attacking.. Don't know why you came at it with a chip on your shoulder.

He says in the original post not to talk about arguing who is right and wrong for liking a character. To my understanding this was just an experiment in understanding why people like different things. If we really took this post for what its meant for it'd probably help in understanding and realting to each other instead of attacking.. Don't know why you came at it with a chip on your shoulder.

Because my opinion is that, no matter what his intentions were (I sure they were nothing but good), the result is the same. People might just start thinking about whether the other has the fitting reasons to like one character or not. And also that Liking a character won't be reasoned objectively.

And I also answered the thread anyways. One, because it's rude to post a reply that consists of nothing but bitching about what I don't like. And two because someone might find my 'reasons' interesting.

Because my opinion is that, no matter what his intentions were (I sure they were nothing but good), the result is the same. People might just start thinking about whether the other has the fitting reasons to like one character or not. And also that Liking a character won't be reasoned objectively.

And I also answered the thread anyways. One, because it's rude to post a reply that consists of nothing but bitching about what I don't like. And two because someone might find my 'reasons' interesting.

because people take everything seriously. if you take their opinions as a jape. you wont have any trouble. you will find them funny and petty. You see, people will find fault at what you have to say. They puff and they puff, and of course they think they are right. But either if they are polite or rude about it, it doesn't matter. Now if I was talking with my friends on the merits of Jaime Lannister being likable over several kegs of beer, then that I say is worth taking things seriously.

I guess I can agree with you there. People never seem to stay on topic unfortunately.

And yes i find your reasons interesting. Attraction to characters certainly helps. Another reason Arya probably tops my list is because she is our window to the characters I'm attracted to (Gendry and Jaqen).

Can I ask what made Jon Snow grow on you? I've yet to have that happen :worried:

*im not asking in a YOU'RE wrong way. i just feel like most people love him from the start so i was curious

Both Little Finger and Petyr Baelish- because he is not one person. I like the conflict between cool inteligent, calculating aspect and the unhinged part. A true master of managing life at work.

Although he has terrible taste in women.

you mean sansa? she's like number 3 overall in Westeros.

Am I the first to say I like good people? Especially ones who try really hard to do the right thing despite difficulties. Hence Ned, Robb, Davos, Beric. I am a sucker for those who are wrongly accused, hence Ned again, Tyrion. Also people who are trying their best in the background - hence Maester Luwin, Podrick, arguably Edmure Tully. Redemption arcs are also good, hence Jaime (not quite convinced about Theon). Also loyalty, hence Cortnay Penrose, Wyman Manderley. Jon Snow is growing on me as well.

Mind you, Stannis is just entertaining.

Either most people find relating to a character a very important factor or most people don't. This can be determined statistically so there is a right answer. And I believe you are right even though I do not fit into the 'majority' on this.

You can't be serious. Yes, statistically there will be a percentage of individuals who find relating to a character is important compared with those who don't but neither is the "wrong" way. It's not black and white like theories that will eventually play out to which you can say "I was wrong about that", or "you were spot on".

In any case, I think there is several reasons why most people including myself like a character. I think intelligence and wit often is a trait people respect and are drawn to. No one (or should I say almost no one) falls in love with a brutish halfwit.

Another is character depth and growth. A shallow, predictable character is plain boring. Also one that doesn't exhibit change through their experiences is just as unbearable to read. As a character grows, you get to know them, potentially empathize and identify with them, and invest emotion in that relationship similar to when you really get to know a person that you interact with outside of a novel. This is all based off of your experience with them. Ultimately this interaction is what determines an individual's attachment to a character. Similarly, I may fall in love with someone that another individual may find repulsive, or as I'm sure some here will vouch, someone may dislike me whereas another may find me charming, witty, and amusing :)

Regardless there's no right or wrong, just opinions. Some may be more accepted or popular, to which I don't believe anyone can disagree.

Edit: Spelling

because people take everything seriously. if you take their opinions as a jape. you wont have any trouble. you will find them funny and petty. You see, people will find fault at what you have to say. They puff and they puff, and of course they think they are right. But either if they are polite or rude about it, it doesn't matter. Now if I was talking with my friends on the merits of Jaime Lannister being likable over several kegs of beer, then that I say is worth taking things seriously.

Yes, you do have a point there. It's just that whatever I say, people always take serious too. Even those things I don't mean to be taken serious. Well that's my problem, is it not? So yeah, you are right and it was just very nice to read there are people who don't take things seriously

Can I ask what made Jon Snow grow on you? I've yet to have that happen :worried:

*im not asking in a YOU'RE wrong way. i just feel like most people love him from the start so i was curious

Yeah, I totally know you are not asking in a you are wrong way. I wrote he was kind of the reverse of Daenerys. Daenerys in the first book behaves in a very mature and strong and grown up way. And then all that fades away and she turns into a whining, demanding good for nothing full of herself child. Jon Snow is this child for two books. He wants to be in the Night's Watch, then he doesn't, then he wants to be a ranger because he is better than everybody, he wants to do this, he wants to do that. All he does is bitch about his bastard birth and that he's treated the same way as everybody else. And then FINALLY he gets into the Wildling's hands and he really learns a lot there. And during SoS I was so desperately unable to decide whether I wanted him to desert and stay with Mance and Co or finally be dutiful and for the first time in his life do what he was told and go back to the Wall. And during Dance with Dragons he really behaves as he is supposed to be. In a mature, adult way. And we finally get to see his skills and motives and intentions. Not just the never ending bitching about how unjust his life is.

You can't be serious. Yes, statistically there will be a percentage of individuals who find relating to a character is important compared with those who don't but neither is the "wrong" way. It's not black and white like theories that will eventually play out to which you can say "I was wrong about that", or "you were spot on".

In any case, I think there is several reasons why most people including myself like a character. I think intelligence and wit often is a trait people respect and are drawn to. No one (or should I say almost no one) falls in love with a brutish halfwit.

Another is character depth and growth. A shallow, predictable character is plain boring. Also one that doesn't exhibit change through their experiences is just as unbearable to read. As a character grows, you get to know them, potentially empathize and identify with them, and invest emotion in that relationship similar to when you really get to know a person that you interact with outside of a novel. This is all based off of your experience with them. Ultimately this interaction is what determines an individual's attachment to a character. Similarly, I may fall in love with someone that another individual may find repulsive, or as I'm sure some here will vouch, someone may dislike me whereas another may find me charming, witty, and amusing :)

Regardless there's no right or wrong, just opinions. Some may be more accepted or popular, to which I don't believe anyone can disagree.

Edit: Spelling

That's precisely it. Whatever one's reason to like or dislike a character it can't be seen as wrong. It's as if I said, 'Red is the most beautiful colour because I like it above all other colours', or 'Crouch is a horrible football player because I said so'. Although I do feel the latter is a little bit true... :P

I'm really bad at describing WHY I like certain characters, because my favorites really tend to vary. My top five characters really couldn't be more different from each other, and I definitely wouldn't say that I can identify with, say, Jaime. But he's my favorite, nonetheless, and I'll do my best to explain why.

Jaime - I like because he surprised me. I didn't like him at allll in the first book. At the end of Clash of Kings, when he's talking to Cat in Riverrun's dungeons, there was a glimpse of maybe something else there, and that intrigued me. Then we got to his POV chapters in SoS, and everything about his personality, his humor, his internal self-loathing ... well, it really got to me. I love his interactions with Brienne. I love his character arc and how much he's changed.

Sansa - I never hated her, not even in the beginning. Got annoyed with her, sure, but never outright hated her for anything that she did. And as the series has gone on, she's become one my favorites, because she's strong in her own ways, she's managed to survive where other people wouldn't have, and her chapters give insight to the goings-on in King's Landing and the Vale.

Jon - I've always liked. I liked him from the very beginning, and my opinion hasn't changed. I love how he always tries to do the right thing, I love the storyline at the Wall and beyond. I like him for the reasons you're supposed to like the hero of the story, and I don't care if that's cliche or not, because I think GRRM's given us a good "main" protagonist with him.

Brienne - I like her because she's someone that I find very relateable. Underneath her exterior, she's really just a young woman who has the same hopes and dreams and wishes as anyone else, but her life and the society she lives in has forced her to behave in a certain way. It's easy to empathize with her, with her seemingly hopeless longing for first Renly, who is TRULY unattainable, and then Jaime, who might not be so unattainable, but in her perception, he might as well be.

Bran - I like him because he's a tough kid and he hasn't just given up or given in, in fact, he's done quite the opposite and I find that admirable. I also like reading his chapters because he gives a lot of insight to things we wouldn't otherwise have any way of knowing about at this point.

I'm firmly and squarely in the entertaining-to-read camp. As well-written as GRRM's characters are, they take the back seat to the story so it's important to me how they interact with it. As a long time lurker on these forums (you can probably tell I never even meant to register) I know it's suicidal to admit to liking Daenerys - but she's maybe the biggest s***-stirrer in the books and as such one of my favourite characters.

There's also a number of characters with whom I agree on certain things in the context of the ASOIAF world/story (Tywin, Varys, The Hound and sometimes Jaime).

Ultimately to me ASOIAF is about exploration of different concepts and situations, not judgment of them, so characters who have little to offer in that regard (Jon - a straightforward archetype who doesn't interact with the world in interesting ways, nor offers much insight about it) tend to end up very low on my list. It's obviously also pretty irrelevant how 'good' or 'bad' they are.

I lost my father at an early age, therefore I find myself drawn to the story of the Stark kids. While neither is my favorite character, I particularly enjoy the difference between Sansa and Arya and the ways they cope and try to find their place in the world.

I find the general story of the plight of the North more interesting, especially now that Stannis is there and there's hope of restoring the Starks to Winterfell. Jon is my favorite character and I like reading about his struggles at the Wall.

I also tend to favor characters who fall more on the good side: Maester Aemon, Davos, Brienne, the Reed kids, Beric, Maester Luwin. That being said I also find Jaime and Theon fascinating, and can't help but root for them. I do not like the Ironborn at all and their culture of rape and pillaging and find the Dornish boring.

Archived