How can the "Game of Thrones" be prevented?

Sandor's Hound

The collapse of major book sellers is a start, then paper books disappear entirely, then someone bombs one building and all ebooks will go poof, then a malware will strip everyone's ebook titles off of their individual machines. That's an outline for the prevention of Game of Thrones.

As for how to bring peace to Westeros permanently, the cycle of kingdom on kingdom violence would have to stop if the people really and truly rose up against the nobility that have been allowed to rule for thousands of years uninterrupted. That'd take a hell of a thing to make people revolt in a way that's never occurred to them up till now. Maybe the Others will spread propaganda about how people don't need lords? We just haven't seen the propaganda arm of the Others' invasion plan yet because it's too cold to be political up north of the wall, which is why they were banished there.

So Robert accepted the fact that Lyanna was gone with Rhaegar.

Lord Rickord Stark asked King Aerys II for her return, King Aerys II denied it saying that the two are in love and Rhaegar will be a poylgamist.

The Starks and Baratheons accepted it. Robert married someone else, and when Aerys II died of a heart attack Rhaeagar became King and conducted major reforms.

Danaerys Targaryen ended up marrying Robb Stark of the North to solidify the Kingdom

Viserys Targaryen ended up marrying Arienne Martell who later had him poisoned because he was abusive.

The White Walkers and Wights never made it south of the Wall, Melisandre, Moqorro and Thoros of Myr help the Night's Watch and Wildings fight these things.

The End.

:(

As for how to bring peace to Westeros permanently, the cycle of kingdom on kingdom violence would have to stop if the people really and truly rose up against the nobility that have been allowed to rule for thousands of years uninterrupted. That'd take a hell of a thing to make people revolt in a way that's never occurred to them up till now. Maybe the Others will spread propaganda about how people don't need lords? We just haven't seen the propaganda arm of the Others' invasion plan yet because it's too cold to be political up north of the wall, which is why they were banished there.

Yeah I always wondered why the nobles have a such complete and utterly uncontested domiance over the entire contient. No smallfolk uprisings, the completely defanged church and even burghers without any significent influence over their own towns and cities. Westeros really is a playhouse for the nobility.

Yeah I always wondered why the nobles have a such complete and utterly uncontested domiance over the entire contient. No smallfolk uprisings, the completely defanged church and even burghers without any significent influence over their own towns and cities. Westeros really is a playhouse for the nobility.

It's easy. There's like a war every 5 years or so. With peasants being worse off everytime there is war, they won't have any thoughts about rebelling when all they can think of is rebuilding. Idle peasants make dissenting peasants.

It's an inherently human trait to become drunk on the idea of power. Games of thrones (we call thrones elected offices, nowadays) exist even in our world. Pretty much the only way to eliminate the games is to become a dictator, set up a secret, thought police force, insert incredibly loyal military officials and have some officials declared as traitors now and again and sent off to death and labor camps indefinitely, or just killed on site. It also helps if the dictator creates a god-like image and backstory for himself and infuses all education with indoctrination and propaganda. Make the office of the leader a divinely inheritable one. Control the media completely. Games of thrones eliminated.

Peace through war.

This works, too. Keep war coming about every so often to keep people in peace-time having to spend years rebuilding and reorganizing their lives. Once they are finally settled and have the opportunity to address grievances BAM, new war.

It also helps to create a sense of paranoia about possible attacks, sometimes even have one's intelligence bureau entirely orchestrate terrorist attacks just so you can say, "Look, they want attack us! We not only convinced this 'terrorist' to create a plot, we also arrested him and called him a terrorist! How amazing are we! Now, to prevent further possible plots, we'd like you to freely give up some of your rights. It's no problem, we'll return them when the threat is over, which should be in about....oh, maybe ten or twenty years. No, no, you won't forget what it's like to have this freedoms. I promise!"

Well in the context of Westeros...cutting arranged marriages out of politics might help. The peace was also easier to keep with more Kings. Kings would ally with Kings to put down rebellions. The small folk were probably better off.

Well in the context of Westeros...cutting arranged marriages out of politics might help. The peace was also easier to keep with more Kings. Kings would ally with Kings to put down rebellions. The small folk were probably better off.

But in return they would go to war with each other almost constantly so the people were probably better off with the Targaryens than without them.

This works, too. Keep war coming about every so often to keep people in peace-time having to spend years rebuilding and reorganizing their lives. Once they are finally settled and have the opportunity to address grievances BAM, new war.

It also helps to create a sense of paranoia about possible attacks, sometimes even have one's intelligence bureau entirely orchestrate terrorist attacks just so you can say, "Look, they want attack us! We not only convinced this 'terrorist' to create a plot, we also arrested him and called him a terrorist! How amazing are we! Now, to prevent further possible plots, we'd like you to freely give up some of your rights. It's no problem, we'll return them when the threat is over, which should be in about....oh, maybe ten or twenty years. No, no, you won't forget what it's like to have this freedoms. I promise!"

Yep, I was using a 1984 reference. The OP made me think of that book. You pretty much summarized what happens.

But in return they would go to war with each other almost constantly so the people were probably better off with the Targaryens than without them.

I think they had more squabbling over internal conflicts (which didn't affect the entire continent) than cross-Kingdom conflicts. I could be way off though.

Yep, I was using a 1984 reference. The OP made me think of that book. You pretty much summarized what happens.

It's sort of sad but I still haven't read 1984 or Brave New World. They were (and still are) on the banned book list in my hometown school district. I did read We by Zamyatin. I was actually more referring to the 'terrorist plots' that the FBI periodically 'uncovers'. When I read about them and collect as many facts, I always get the real sense that it's usually some big plot that the FBI had a hand in orchestrating just so they could say they diverted it. It's like having a 3rd person limited POV coupled with deceptive, unreliable, biased narrators! :P

Well, place strict controls on the number and type of house armies that can be assembled and maintained. Require the constituent kingdoms to pay higher revenues to the crown and raise men to serve in the royal army, not local levees. Also, convene national military colleges abd ensure that legions are of mixed nationaility.

Unify the court system, with the king appointing (and removing) the judges (those with right of pit and gallows) taking away that authority from the local barons. Maintain a national road system and uniform currency and weights and measures.

It's sort of sad but I still haven't read 1984 or Brave New World. They were (and still are) on the banned book list in my hometown school district. I did read We by Zamyatin. I was actually more referring to the 'terrorist plots' that the FBI periodically 'uncovers'. When I read about them and collect as many facts, I always get the real sense that it's usually some big plot that the FBI had a hand in orchestrating just so they could say they diverted it. It's like having a 3rd person limited POV coupled with deceptive, unreliable, biased narrators! :P

Your school district sounds like my school district. And you sound like my husband. I'm inclined to agree but I come at it from a position of being much less informed than I should be.

I think they had more squabbling over internal conflicts (which didn't affect the entire continent) than cross-Kingdom conflicts. I could be way off though.

I understand that they were pretty much like the situation after WoFK with the various kingdoms constantly scheming and fighting with each other.

Communism

Will only lead to a Game of Thrones within the politburo and cause even more misery for the smallfolk, possibly with some general cultural iconclasm if we're in really bad luck.

So Robert accepted the fact that Lyanna was gone with Rhaegar.

Lord Rickord Stark asked King Aerys II for her return, King Aerys II denied it saying that the two are in love and Rhaegar will be a poylgamist.

The Starks and Baratheons accepted it. Robert married someone else, and when Aerys II died of a heart attack Rhaeagar became King and conducted major reforms.

Danaerys Targaryen ended up marrying Robb Stark of the North to solidify the Kingdom

Viserys Targaryen ended up marrying Arienne Martell who later had him poisoned because he was abusive.

The White Walkers and Wights never made it south of the Wall, Melisandre, Moqorro and Thoros of Myr help the Night's Watch and Wildings fight these things.

The End.

Ooooh ooooooh, where do I not sign up.

Archived