Does anyone like the Tully family?

hatbar

I ask this because (after the Starks) my favourite family in Westeros is the Tully family and yet I'm not sure I can pinpoint why!

They haven't really got the likeability factor of the Starks or the bad ass attitude of the Lannisters or the intrigue of the Martells but I think they are probably the most realistic family in the books. Catelyn is just a protective mother who makes some terrible (yet understandable) decisions. Her character arc is the most tragic of anyones and I hope and pray she gets some peace at the end of it all. Lysa was extremely unstable and yet I enjoyed reading about her. Her madness is arguably what started the war with Jon Arryns death and yet I can still sympathise with her as her life was take out of her control and brought her only misery. Blackfish is probably the most liked Tully as he has the most 'bad ass' characteristics that people like. I think he is extremely smart and look forward to where he will pop up next. And then we have poor Edmure. Completely out of his depth and yet I don't think he's the idiot that he is sometimes portrayed as.

I also feel a lot of sympathy for them because as a family they are pretty much doomed unless Blackfish pops up with a miracle. I also think Riverrun is a great setting and Hoster's funeral is one of my favourite scenes in the book! What do people think will happen to the Surviving members of the Tullys? Will we see a return of the Trout? I'm thinking not but my fingers are crossed!

I also love the Tullys. There motto-family,duty,honour really sums it up for me. I would have loved to have seen Hoster before his illness but i have great hope for both Brynden and Edmure! I doubt the line will end wit Ed...

I don't especially like Tullys. Though I have suspicion that Hoster's mother had been Blackwood which is one of my favorite houses.

I think that in not united Westeros the Riverlans as region can be defended. So they may return to Riverrun, but I don't think they will rule.

The Tullys may not be particularly ruthless or cunning, but they are the only family I've seen so far whose members actually cared for their smallfolk (Edmure) or were ready to get some kind of peace (Catelyn after Riverrun was freed in AGoT). So, yes, I like at least these two quite a bit.

The Blackfish is also quite likeable, while Hoster Tully is ambiguous and Lysa... well, pretty crazy, but even understandable in her insanity.

I like them, on the whole. Cat and Edmure in particular. They are imo in a tougher situation than the other major houses, the Riverlands being the area thats usually one of the most effected whenever there is a war on. I feel sorry for them, given the recent events where the house has really suffered.

I like the Blackfish a lot. I give him and the Greatjon most of the credit for the Norths early success. I know Robb gets a lot of credit for his military success but lets be honest, hes just a kid with a crown. Unlike Dany he listens to his experienced advisers, mainly the Blackfish. I can't wait to see the Blackfish back in action.

I like Edmure also. I think a lot of this comes from Cats POV where she always thinks of him as weak and incompetent. He's got a big heart though and isn't completely incompetent.

Hoster seems like a real asshole. I don't like him know and doubt I would have liked him when he was younger.

Cat's made plenty of mistakes but I don't hate her. I do hate Lady Stoneheart though. Lysa is just nuts.

I really like the Blackfish. He seems an absolutely awesome scout commander. As well as being his own man (refusing to mary) and leaving the Riverlands he still obviously cares for his family.

I quite like Edmure and thinks he gets treated pretty unfairly by Cat and Robb who seem to base their opinion of him from what he was like 15 years ago.

I have a lot of sympathy for Cat and quite like her, sure she makes mistakes but is there anyone who doesn't? Less of a fan of UnCat from what we've seen so far, doesn't seem particularly capable of reason.

Lysa annoyed the hell out of me to an extent that I lost any sympathy I might have had for her.

Hoster we don't really get to know except on his death bed so I don't have much of an opinion of him.

The only Tully that I care for is the Blackfish. In my opinion Hoster is on par with a frey he didnt commit to Roberts rebellion until both his daughters were married off I don't see why he is not called out for sitting on the fence more often.

Edmure While a decent enough guy just feels like a failure to me I know that is why some people like him for his every-man appeal but it does not work for me personally.

Good day

Really?? Edmure alone has done more than all of House Arryn for the duration of the books

More that the "Lysa-Petyr-Robin-Alayne" plot?

What he has done? Went in prison, made Robb King of the Riverlands, married Roslin and went back into prison. Is that more interesting that Eyrie arc?

Why do so many people in this thread dislike the Blackfish? He's great! I didn't know there were so many people who specifically disliked him - anyone care to explain why?

As for the Tullys, they're a stand-up bunch that didn't hesitate to put it all on the line to defend their smallfolk from the Lannister war machine. That's pretty damn noble, no?

Archived