Does anyone like the Tully family?

hatbar

I enjoy the Tullys. I actively like Brynden and Edmure, and Edmure has potential to be a great lord. Catelyn and Lysa I feel bad for, for almost the same reason (the loss of children). Hoster is a bit iffy for me. I dislike him for what he did to Lysa, yet the idea of him in his hay day was cool.

More that the "Lysa-Petyr-Robin-Alayne" plot?

What he has done? Went in prison, made Robb King of the Riverlands, married Roslin and went back into prison. Is that more interesting that Eyrie arc?

Well of those only one of them is half Arryn while Lysa is a hundred percent Tully stock and Alayne is 50%so......

Edmure raised a host to defend his fathers lands, lost horribly, was captured and imprisoned. He was then saved by the Northerners, helped Robb become King and became his chief vassal when Hoster died. He then left all the smallfolk into RR to help defend them and met the great Tywin Lannister in the field of battle, which led to grievious losses to the latter. He was then reprimanded for his actions and was made marry for his crimes. Made sweet love and a child while his lord was being slaughtered downstairs and has since helped Jaime take RR and has lost his home.

I would say hes done a lot more then Sweetrobin, although nothing so shocking. Wether you find it as interesting is your opinion. This is before we get into Cat, Lysa, Brynden and the Stark kids so i would say the Tully blood has racked up a fair ammount of mileage

Well of those only one of them is half Arryn while Lysa is a hundred percent Tully stock and Alayne is 50%so......

Edmure raised a host to defend his fathers lands, lost horribly, was captured and imprisoned. He was then saved by the Northerners, helped Robb become King and became his chief vassal when Hoster died. He then left all the smallfolk into RR to help defend them and met the great Tywin Lannister in the field of battle, which led to grievious losses to the latter. He was then reprimanded for his actions and was made marry for his crimes. Made sweet love and a child while his lord was being slaughtered downstairs and has since helped Jaime take RR and has lost his home.

I would say hes done a lot more then Sweetrobin, although nothing so shocking. Wether you find it as interesting is your opinion. This is before we get into Cat, Lysa, Brynden and the Stark kids so i would say the Tully blood has racked up a fair ammount of mileage

I thought we were talking only about Tully not Tully's blood. If so of course I like the Tullys!

I like the Tullys, not so much Hoster though. Catelyn is one of my most favorite characters in the book, I adore her. Edmure is great, he's got a fun sense of humor and he is one of the few lords we see that shows he genuinely cares for the small folk. Lysa is a bit nuts but I think the reasons why are very understandable so I mostly just feel bad for her.

I hate Lysa. Can't do much about it, she started a war on her own and didn't even sent her knights to fight it.

The others are great. Edmure is one of the most realistic characters: he does bad japes, cares about the smallfolk and even about his child (not so common in Westeros!). I hope I could know something more about Hoster, but all in all he looks like a man who valued duty even above family and honor, see the Lysa-Petyr affair. Catelyn became somehow less interesting after Bran and Rickon's "death", but she had kicked her own amount of asses before. Brynden Blackfish's position is vital il the Tywin-Robb war and his dialogue with Jaime out of Riverrun is one of my favourite in the series.

Why do so many people in this thread dislike the Blackfish? He's great! I didn't know there were so many people who specifically disliked him - anyone care to explain why?
Care to explain why you like him, in return?

Anyway:

1. He's ready to sacrifice everyone in Riverrun so he can kill more enemies, instead of taking the peaceful way out of his doomed cause and saving lives. -Lack of empathy bordering on the monstrous-
  2. He guilt trips Edmure into marrying, something he always refused to do himself. -Hypocrite-
  3. He actually blames Edmure for not reading Robb's mind when Robb said 'hold the castle", and Edmure did hold the castle, and protected his smallfolk, his land, and Robb's rear, as far as he knew. -Jerk-
  4. He's a random badass guy, that archetype become quite tiresome to see after a while. Especially as its main fans all seem to be the typical brainless young male. -boring-
  5. For all his rumoured competence, he doesn't do much, and fails much hideously at stopping Robb from committing his political suicide, and he was there. -incompetent-

Overall I am pro-Tully.

Edmure, Cat and Bryden I all like to varying degrees.

Hoster and Lysa not so much.

I don't really get the Cat hate. She made mistakes, but they were all mistakes made with the intention of taking care of her family. Not a fan of Lady Stoneheart, but Cat seemed like a person who was just trying to take care of her family. The one flaw i could see in her was not getting over the Jon hatred, but I think that might even be understandable if not forgiveable.

They're the "nice" family that often gets overlooked just because they're not warmongering like some of the other houses. I like the way they stick together, and how they came to the aid of the Starks immediately because family comes first :)

I love the Blackfish, but does anybody else have a real problem with his refusal to marry? I know that by modern sensibilities, we're inclined to be sympathetic (particularly if the theory that he's gay is true), but in the context of Westeros politics, it really hurts the family quite badly.

Not only does this isolate Riverrun from a useful alliance, the fact that Edmure is so much younger than Cat means Hoster had no sons for a very long time, and never had any spares.

Care to explain why you like him, in return?

Anyway:

1. He's ready to sacrifice everyone in Riverrun so he can kill more enemies, instead of taking the peaceful way out of his doomed cause and saving lives. -Lack of empathy bordering on the monstrous-
  2. He guilt trips Edmure into marrying, something he always refused to do himself. -Hypocrite-
  3. He actually blames Edmure for not reading Robb's mind when Robb said 'hold the castle", and Edmure did hold the castle, and protected his smallfolk, his land, and Robb's rear, as far as he knew. -Jerk-
  4. He's a random badass guy, that archetype become quite tiresome to see after a while. Especially as its main fans all seem to be the typical brainless young male. -boring-
  5. For all his rumoured competence, he doesn't do much, and fails much hideously at stopping Robb from committing his political suicide, and he was there. -incompetent-

all your points are true. and i think he bones little boys with Lyn Cobray.

BUT HES STILL THE BEST TULLY

I like Brynden as well. The fact that he didnt want to married off by his brother doesnt strike me odd at all. I could see him agreeing to a match made by his parents but it's different having ur life ordered by ur older brother. As to the rest of the family, well, a trout is the perfect sigil for them.

I like the tullies. Comon guys seriously? Edmure defeated Tywin in battle! Thats got to count for something, he really seems to have learned from his earlier defeats. The blackfish is a badass as others have said. Hoster was said to be a good man. Lysa, well meh. Catelyn was a good mother and tried her best. The tullies are just a normal family trying to survive in the least defensible part of westeros.

I love the Blackfish, but does anybody else have a real problem with his refusal to marry? I know that by modern sensibilities, we're inclined to be sympathetic (particularly if the theory that he's gay is true), but in the context of Westeros politics, it really hurts the family quite badly.

Not only does this isolate Riverrun from a useful alliance, the fact that Edmure is so much younger than Cat means Hoster had no sons for a very long time, and never had any spares.

I think he is homosexual.

I like the Tullys because they are not pretentious and don't act in too an entitled way. They do not prance about going on about how incredibly rich they are or how awesome their wolves or their dragons are, they don't want to be kings, and they seem to care about their people.

Archived