Why Do You Read the Song of Ice and Fire, and What Could Get You to Stop?

Spiderweaves

I’ve been enjoying getting to know this forum, especially the diversity of viewpoints that posters express.

The more I read the forum, the more I’m convinced that a reader’s expectations shape his or her responses to this series. (I know this is not a particularly groundbreaking conclusion. Bear with me. :drunk: )

So I’m interested to know: why do you read the Song of Ice and Fire, and what could get you to stop?

Keep in mind this is a slightly different question than, “What makes you an Ice and Fire fan?” or “Why are these books so great?” I guess I’m interested in some reader autobiography.

I hope this thread will spark appreciative inquiry. If you wanna start fights and win them, lots of other threads can accommodate!

I’ll go first. I read ASOIAF because I enjoy how tightly it’s plotted, how complex most of the characters are, and how it lends itself to a number of fascinating interpretations. The HBO adaptation introduced me to the series, and a lot of real-life people whose opinions I respect enjoy the books heartily. For these reasons, I decided to give the series a try. Other than Dune, it’s the only work of fantasy I’ve read, and I wouldn’t describe myself as a lover of the fantasy genre.

I think I would stop reading if I felt like it started retreating more and more into clichés. I mean clichés of genre and of fiction in general (excessive, lazy use of dragons and named swords, frustrated romances, predictable redemption stories, etc.). I’m also wary of social clichés: too much reliance on cultural stereotypes would eventually put me off, too. Finally, if I start to get the feeling that a satisfying ending to the series as a whole is not on its way, I might have to stop. I have no investment in how it ends—I just want it to end.

It's just a great story that has more backstory than any other series I've ever read. Everything, from foreshadowing to where each individual person was three hundred years ago during some battle, goes together perfectly. I've always thought of Lord of the Rings as unbeatable and the best fantasy story ever written. The whole time I read books one through five of ASOIAF I had a slight feeling that it could end up topping Lord of the Rings for me, and now that I've finished the ones up til now there's not a doubt in my mind that the potential for ASOIAF is definitely on the level, and even beyond, Lord of the Rings.

And I guess not everyone likes Lord of the Rings that much so let me explain what I mean. To me Lord of the Rings is one of those things that if it gets brought up I'll talk to anyone about, and I won't give half a shit who's near me hearing me talk about balrogs, Gandalf the Grey Wizard, and Hobbits of Baggiton. It's just too badass of a story; one of those that I don't understand how it couldn't be written. It's like if Tolkien didn't exist, someone else would have done it anyway. It wouldn't make since to me if the Lord of the Rings didn't exist.. it's just a story that had to be told by someone. I know that doesn't make sense much but if you get what I'm saying, congratulations

Anyway ASOIAF is starting to feel the same way for me. I don't care how Martin ends it, so long as it's on point with the rest of the series. So long as there is a huge climax, and it's just epic as shit, the books are going to probably be the same way LoTR is for me.

And that's why I read that shit

I needed a new obsession until Doctor Who season 7 comes on air. Tried to make do with Sanderson's Stormlght Archives but the man doesn't seem likely to churn out a new book for another two years and ASoIaF had more material to pore over.

Plus, the story's interesting, the characters are grey enough to mutate on every reading, there's plenty of shipping material-lots of meat to sink my teeth into.

Also, there's Brienne and Dany and Sansa and Cersei.

I read the series for the erotic, titillating, sex scenes and to see whether Hot Pie will fulfill his role as Azor Ahai reborn.

It would require something major to get me to stop - being kidnapped or the end of the world, that type of thing. Or the return of the McRib to my local McDonalds, I guess.

I enjoy the depth of character development and the varied character arcs. I consider the plot mostly filler to help the characters move along.

The only thing that would get me to stop reading, no matter how depressing these books get, is if Marti ever decides to put a rape scene on page. If he does that, I'm done with the series and I wouldn't pick it up again.

ETA: for clarity, if the POV character is the one being raped...

The only thing that would get me to stop reading, no matter how depressing these books get, is if Marti ever decides to put a rape scene on page. If he does that, I'm done with the series and I wouldn't pick it up again.

ETA: for clarity, if the POV character is the one being raped...

Yeah that'd be pretty horrible to read. EVEN IF IT WAS JAIME

I was in a book store one day seeking a specific book, but I had enough money to spend to get two books.

I saw "A Game of Thrones", and I was like "I heard it's good, I'll try it".

I bought the entire series in a bundle when I was about 60% through aGoT (I literally read the scene where Viserys died right after leaving the bookstore with a huge heavy bundle in my bag)

(Yes, that means I own two copies of aGoT, all the better for me)

I read it because it's a (pretty) well written story with believable characters and it's influenced by my favourite period in history.

Cool. Can you tell us historical period that is? I ask because there seems to be a lot of overlap and interesting contrasts in what people think.

Yeah that'd be pretty horrible to read. Unless it's Jaime, that might be kind of funny.

Well, I think that would be hard to read too. It's an act of sexual violence meant to control, shame, and dominate another person. I wouldn't even wish it on Ramsey.

whether Hot Pie will fulfill his role as Azor Ahai reborn.

You mean there's any doubt about this? :cool4:

So characters seem to be the main draw so far. Is this because they are believable? Likeable? Unusual?

In addition to rape, what other events would make people stop reading?

I started reading the books after I watched Season 1 on HBO. I was instantly hooked. Couldn't put the books down, stayed up way too late every night reading and reading and reading, and then I got to AFFC & was literally falling asleep at night trying to read that damn book. It was so boring, I BARELY made it through it. I stopped reading after that one. I have ADWD but haven't been able to convince myself to even crack it open. I figured when GRRM gets the next one out, maybe that will motivate me. I'll probably have to reread the whole series by that point because I'm sure I'll forget a lot by then, but I know I'll skim through AFFC. I really really hope ADWD isn't as bad or as hard to get through!

I am addicted to the shows on HBO too, I love the characters, the costumes, the storyline. Everything about the series.

Yeah if there was an actual rape scene with the victim as the POV, it would be a terrible scene to read. I was being humorous and making light of the subject. And as to the missandry comment, I'm also a male, and again, it was a jape. I'm not sitting here writing letters to George Martin demanding a rape scene in the next few books.

And mummer's farce. After I realized I should change "joke" to jape, I was really trying to put "mummer's farce" in to my comment as well, so yeah. Mummer's farce.

I started reading the books after I watched Season 1 on HBO. I was instantly hooked. Couldn't put the books down, stayed up way too late every night reading and reading and reading, and then I got to AFFC & was literally falling asleep at night trying to read that damn book. It was so boring, I BARELY made it through it. I stopped reading after that one. I have ADWD but haven't been able to convince myself to even crack it open. I figured when GRRM gets the next one out, maybe that will motivate me. I'll probably have to reread the whole series by that point because I'm sure I'll forget a lot by then, but I know I'll skim through AFFC. I really really hope ADWD isn't as bad or as hard to get through!

I am addicted to the shows on HBO too, I love the characters, the costumes, the storyline. Everything about the series.

I'm in a similar boat. GOT HBO sucked me in and I destroyed the books the season ended. AFFC was brutal, but Jamies's chapters are worth reading. I actually ended up reading chapter summeries for most of that book.

ADWD is only slightly better. Jon's chapters are the best in it, but Sansa, Bran, Barriston, and Jamie's are good as well. Tyrion's chapters are suprisingly dull and Dany's was like watching paint dry.

Archived