Why Do You Read the Song of Ice and Fire, and What Could Get You to Stop?

Spiderweaves

Here it is mate:

I (similar to a lot of other people) was introduced to the series by the HBO show and was really enjoying the show when they launched the HBO Go thing and they said after the 5th(?) episode that the next week's episode was available on HBO Go for streaming. So I promptly watched it and it ends with the cliffhanger of Littlefinger putting Ned's dagger to his throat saying: "I did warn you not to trust me."

Now, imagine you are in the same boat with me...you just watched this episode early and it left you with two weeks until you find out what the fuck just happened.

So obviously the only logical step was to read the 5 books in the next 2 months.

Here it is mate:

I (similar to a lot of other people) was introduced to the series by the HBO show and was really enjoying the show when they launched the HBO Go thing and they said after the 5th(?) episode that the next week's episode was available on HBO Go for streaming. So I promptly watched it and it ends with the cliffhanger of Littlefinger putting Ned's dagger to his throat saying: "I did warn you not to trust me."

Now, imagine you are in the same boat with me...you just watched this episode early and it left you with two weeks until you find out what the fuck just happened.

So obviously the only logical step was to read the 5 books in the next 2 months.

Hahahah I was on that boat, I started reading after that episode as well... even if it took me 4 months to read all the books, I thought I could keep in touch with the world taking a few breaks.

I read it because there are many amazing character, because the plot is never easy, because it's given me a whole new world to think about. I don't think I'll ever stop reading it, even if all my favorite characters die screaming. (Which will likely happen). Because ASoIaF is more than just a book series to me, it's a place to go whenever I want to take my mind off things, it's a place to look for answers whenever I need them.

I keep re-reading them because I love them and I keep learning new things on each read-through. Since I found this series a year ago, I am never bored! I carry a book with me everywhere and lose myself happily when needed. They kept calling my name at the Dr's office last month and I never heard it because I was engrossed in Clash of Kings.

I would stop reading if both Jon and Arya died. They are the heart and soul of this series, to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I started reading ASoIAF because I recommended some books to my boyfriend and he loved them (John Green's books), so he recommended these back to me. He thought I wouldn't like them. He was very, very wrong.

I would stop reading if everyone I love dies... AGAIN. Actually, I wouldn't stop. I'd continue reading and then just cry.

I realized that many people think Asoiaf is the only good adult fantasy. Maybe in 1993, even though I have doubts about that. It has very many succesors.

About me? Read the description on the last pages of another book. I'm a sucker for politics. So I bought all the series at that moment. What I like? Many interesting characters, lovely style, interesting plot.

START: Co-Worker lent me the book after Id been bitching that Id read all of my books too many times. Instantly hooked! Went and bought the lot in a bundle.

MIDDLE: Kept reading and re-reading as there are too many characters that I like, theories that I think about and because I am one of those people that will read a book or watch a movie and at the end go - I wonder what would happen next? And stew on that thought!

END: Would stop - NEVER only two books to go!! (okay maybe if Arya was killed off in the next one)

Glad to see people are still interested in this topic.

So, I've recently finished DwD, and I have to say, I'm unsure about what lies ahead. I hope that ASOIAF will end in a satisfying way, but I dunno. I feel like the prose has gotten more and more meandering, and the tight plotting I loved so well has started to disappear.

A lot of you probably already know this article--an interesting take on the series and its fans: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/04/11/110411fa_fact_miller

As far as I'm concerned, he can kill off any character he likes, exact whatever ironic, horrible consequence. Whatever it is, I just want to believe it--I want to believe the author has not copped out.

I was introduced to the series by HBO and from then on it was love at first sight. The books are filled to the brim with wonderfully twisted stories and compelling characters...and plenty of characters that I love to hate. ;)

I would stop reading if both Jon and Arya died. They are the heart and soul of this series, to me.

This is the only thing that would make me stop reading, especially with regard to Arya. Please don't do it, George.

I read the books because I love being surprised. I feel there is no other book series out there like it. My wife got in on the "Hunger Games" craze and had me read the books. I was never worried about Katniss dying because the way the writer wrote it you just never felt like she was in terrible danger. With ASOIAF you never know what is going to happen and who might bite it. I love the history, the characters, the naming of the valyrian and house swords, the slow onset of magic and dragons in the world, the words of each house, all this interests me. Nothing could get me to stop reading this. I could be so angry at the way something happens or somebody dying, but it doesn't matter because I must finish this series to the end.

FYI: This post is a little spoiler-y

My wife got in on the "Hunger Games" craze and had me read the books. I was never worried about Katniss dying because the way the writer wrote it you just never felt like she was in terrible danger. With ASOIAF you never know what is going to happen and who might bite it.

I agree on the Hunger Games. Granted, I read it long after a lot of other people did (and I had heard them talking), but still...no, I never thought for a second that Katniss would die. I also didn't much doubt that the Games would end the way they did.

I may be frustrated with what I perceive as a fading sense of direction in ASOIAF, but I still admire the author's ability to keep me guessing.

Archived