Randyll Tarly

Frey Pie

The same could be said about Stannis though:

Just because Stannis beat Victorian, don't mean he is better.

Just because Stannis beat Mance, do not mean he is better.

Get where I am going with this?

Yes and this isnt a Stannis thread so make your own if you want to discuss him. If one commander wins many battles though he can be thought of as better than others. An example being Robert and Randyll

Robert killing Rhaegar had nothing to do with his commanding skills. Robert participated in most of the major battles of his own rebellion. He won all but won, so they are considered his victories. We are not sure the part Jon Arryn, Ned or Hoster Tully had to play. Robert was good, and had a mind for warfare, but we're not sure to what extent.

Yes and this isnt a Stannis thread so make your own if you want to discuss him. If one commander wins many battles though he can be thought of as better than others. An example being Robert and Randyll

If you didn't want folks to discuss about Stannis, you shouldn't have included him in the discussion.

Theres no doubt Robert is a good commander, from what we know he was very successful on the field. Wether or not hes as good as Stannis is up for debate but both are certainly more accomplished than Tarly

Can we attribute Robert's success to his commanding proficiency? There are not much to point that IMHO. He was an inspiring presence and a fearsome warrior but that's about it.

If I had to say, based on what we know, Robert was the "hit them with all you've got type." I'd assume his style of commanding in battle was charging directly at the enemy, knowing that you've won when they all retreated or were dead.

If I had to say, based on what we know, Robert was the "hit them with all you've got type." I'd assume his style of commanding in battle was charging directly at the enemy, knowing that you've won when they all retreated or were dead.

You make it sound Robert was all brawn and no brains. I doubt he would have lasted that long or even won the war, if he was what you seem to suggest. Robert was no Jamie...

Can we attribute Robert's success to his commanding proficiency? There are not much to point that IMHO. He was an inspiring presence and a fearsome warrior but that's about it.

No but neither can we attribute it to anyone else. I have a feeling Ned was more the commander and Robert the leader, but as Robert was the leader of the rebellion i would have to give most credit to him. I would say he may not have been a tactical genious but was extremely competent and made up for his lack of genious in other areas

As an aside i think Randyll is just what you described Robert. Good man to follow but not a huge thinker

You make it sound Robert was all brawn and no brains. I doubt he would have lasted that long or even won the war, if he was what you seem to suggest. Robert was no Jamie...

I'm merely saying it based on what we know of Robert. He loved fighting, he never loved leading. Like I said in an earlier post we're still not sure on the part that Ned Stark, Jon Arryn and Hoster Tully played. And Jaime also isn't all brawns and no brains.

Because it says so in the books. Other Generals describe Tarly as a formidable Commander. We've not really seen much evidence of it yet.

Yes they say hes a great soldier but thats different from commander. I dont doubt hes a formidable opponent but i couldnt put him in the top tier of generals like so many others do

Tarly beat Robert,

OK, that's one battle. And not a very significant one.

and Robert is a better commander than Stannis. You do the math.

Can't do the math, not enough data.

Randyll is described by Kevan as the finest soldier in the realm, and in Westeros, the term "soldier" is used in relation to both the martial prowess and commanding ability of a man.

I also think he could be in the closet.

Tarly beat Robert with the Vanguard, that's a great accomplishment, he is respected and feared by other commanders. Even if Robert wasn't the tactical mind behind his rebellion (I think Ned was it), a victory with the vanguard is impressive

Tarly beat Robert with the Vanguard, that's a great accomplishment, he is respected and feared by other commanders. Even if Robert wasn't the tactical mind behind his rebellion (I think Ned was it), a victory with the vanguard is impressive

Would be more impressive if we knew anything about numbers on both sides. In WO5K, for example, Renly's vanguard was significantly bigger than Stannis' entire army.

I don't understand this, so some people are now expert medieval commanders? If Randyll Tarly's peers say he is one of the best, perhaps the best. Then he probably is.

No one said this though, kevan said soldier.

Would be more impressive if we knew anything about numbers on both sides. In WO5K, for example, Renly's vanguard was significantly bigger than Stannis' entire army.

Yes, but in a normal battle the vanguard is smaller than the hostile army

Archived