Is Hot Pie overrated as a baker?

Khal Pono

pls dont take this as an insult but... Have you gone out of topics?

Yes and no. Sometimes things get a bit too serious around here. Not all of us are literary scholars, and professors in mythology and religion, and we can't really comment on subjects we know nothing about. So we take time out to dumb things down a bit.

To those of you who claim that because Arya praised HP's baking--and after all she was highborn and grew up in a castle eating lemon cakes and knows her pastries--therefore Hot Pie must be a great baker, you must consider the following:

Arya is not the cake and pie connoisseur of the Stark family; that honor would go to Sansa, the true gourmand of the household.

Arya is a growing child with a healthy appetitie, but she lacks a refined palate and will eat anything that satisfies her. She is much more concered with sword fighting and horseridng than with evaluating dainty delicacies

Also consider that Arya is significantly younger and in many ways less mature than Sansa. Why, think back on what kind of palate you had when you were Arya's age! At that age, I thought that Kool-Aid was the most delicious beverage known to man and that fish sticks were haute cuisine! Surely Arya wouldn't know a properly prepared lemoncake if it bit her on the arse.

For these reasons, and more, I say that we must take Arya's assessment of Hot Pie's baking prowess with a prodigious lump of salt.

we also know that cersei lannister was the reason Hot Pie was sent to the wall. His baking is so good, Cersei can't stop eating it. She might get fat because of it. She did get heavier later on, but thats besides the point.

To those of you who claim that because Arya praised HP's baking--and after all she was highborn and grew up in a castle eating lemon cakes and knows her pastries--therefore Hot Pie must be a great baker, you must consider the following:

Arya is not the cake and pie connoisseur of the Stark family; that honor would go to Sansa, the true gourmand of the household.

Arya is a growing child with a healthy appetitie, but she lacks a refined palate and will eat anything that satisfies her. She is much more concered with sword fighting and horseridng than with evaluating dainty delicacies

Also consider that Arya is significantly younger and in many ways less mature than Sansa. Why, think back on what kind of palate you had when you were Arya's age! At that age, I thought that Kool-Aid was the most delicious beverage known to man and that fish sticks were haute cuisine! Surely Arya wouldn't know a properly prepared lemoncake if it bit her on the arse.

For these reasons, and more, I say that we must take Arya's assessment of Hot Pie's baking prowess with a prodigious lump of salt.

Are you serious? Maybe you need to go back and re-read the Arya chapters. Arya would know good lemoncakes because she once walked in a lemon grove. She also knows how to pick lemons. When she is at HH she actually serves Roose lemon cakes. They smelled good. So Hot Pie made bread if he can make bread he can make lemoncakes. He is blood of the piedragon afterall

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in. Exactly! I love Arya, but come on, she eats worms, bugs, moldy food and rotten apples like they were going out of style. She sees Hot Pie and goes into Bear Grylls mode thinking "chubby young human male = protein-source". Therefore her lack of input on his baking prowess is inconsequential.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in. Exactly! I love Arya, but come on, she eats worms, bugs, moldy food and rotten apples like they were going out of style. She sees Hot Pie and goes into Bear Grylls mode thinking "chubby young human male = protein-source". Therefore her lack of input on his baking prowess is inconsequential.

ok first GRRM would never write Arya eating those things if it wasn't clearly forshadowing her havin the palate of a queen. Thats just not how he works. Arya knows how bad worms taste, so when she eats hot pies baking she KNOWS shes eating only the best.

Arya is a culinary pragmitist, she makes due with what is available. That doesn't mean she does not know what good food is. We can argue about wheteher Hot Pie is the best but we can't deny that he is really good. He is in Kings landing right now, that was him selling pies and his baking skills are funding the Brotherhood.

Arya is a culinary pragmitist, she makes due with what is available. That doesn't mean she does not know what good food is. We can argue about wheteher Hot Pie is the best but we can't deny that he is really good. He is in Kings landing right now, that was him selling pies and his baking skills are funding the Brotherhood.

It shames me to say it, but I pride myself on being a culinary relativist, so I guess I was out of line in thinking that bugs, rotten fruits, and garbage cannot be incorporated into a delicious dish, since no one approach to the culinary arts is really superior to anotherl. I stand before you, a broken and shamed man.

edited to almost make sense

wait, slight nitpick - Sansa's a gourmet (a person with refined taste in food/drink), not a gourmand (a glutton). Manderly is a gourmand.

wait, slight nitpick - Sansa's a gourmet (a person with refined taste in food/drink), not a gourmand (a glutton). Manderly is a gourmand.

And thank god - I've spent the last ten minutes flipping through the pages to see where I missed that Sansa Stark was actually a wolverine/badger/goat/walrus hybrid...

Arya can evaluate dainty delicacies - she can evaluate them better than anyone if she wants to !

Example: She knows that organic free-range grave worms are a rare treat.

Also, we must not forget that Arya is undergoing training to heighten all of her senses; she is currently being set up to be the only POV character that posesses the PtwP (Palate that was Promised).

Archived