Saddest moment involving minor characters?

Rolex Baratheon

For me it was not Ned's death, Robb's death, Catelyn's death or other major deaths because for some reason I never felt grief at those, only shock. Anyhow, I found some minor character scenes very emotionally impactful.

I think I'll go with Samwell Tarly's story to Jon about how he was sent to the Wall. Damn that heartless Lord Tarly. In the TV show, the scene was even sadder because Sam always looked like he was going to cry.

He looks kind of like a big baby and not an 18 year old. LoL.

Samwell's not a minor character I'd say, but if I can include him, I'll choose the scene where he and Gilly meet Bran, Jojen, Meera etc., but where he has to promise not to tell Jon, who still thinks Bran and Rickon are dead. That really brought tears to my eyes, especially because Samwell desperately wants to tell Jon, but he made a promise.. I wanted him to scream it out loud to Jon.

The story of Elia Martell and her children really struck me. Even more because Tywin simply 'forgot' to tell Gregor Clegane what to do with them. Forget what to do to the royal family when you're sacking the city, Tywin Lannister, you son of a bitch. And then wrap them up in crimson-and-gold cloaks and make a sort of 'trophy' of them. ''Look what I can, killing innocent mothers and their children. Woo-hoo, everyone must be so proud of me!'' I almost had to cry when that passage came in the books. I believe it was in a chapter of Tyrion, but I'm not sure.

Ehm, the miller's boys of course. I'll forgive but never forget, Theon.

Maester Aemon's death. That gets to me every time I read it.

Kevan's death. That was terrible. He was one of the two Lannisters I liked.

I felt sorry for pretty much everyone Theon killed in ACoK. Luwin was killed because of him, Mikken on his orders, the miller's children... Damn you Theon.

Jeyne Poole. Forced into a brothel, and then given over to Ramsay.

I always felt a great sadness when a minor character was shown to be truely brave and sacrificed themselves before we really got to know their true form, i.e. how truely badass they were.

Yoren, the half hand, syrio (well always knew he'd be tough but bloody hell), The brother with one arm who was a smith, i forget his name but the whole "you have the wall"

I always felt a great sadness when a minor character was shown to be truely brave and sacrificed themselves before we really got to know their true form, i.e. how truely badass they were.

Yoren, the half hand, syrio (well always knew he'd be tough but bloody hell), The brother with one arm who was a smith, i forget his name but the whole "you have the wall"

I can't believe I forgot the Halfhand!

" You must not falter. Whatever is asked of you ' :frown5:

He's one of the best minor characters in the whole series. And the show turned him into an idiot...

Donal Noye was awesome too. The guy killed a giant. With ONE ARM! I hope they keep that in the show. And you know, not make him look like an idiot.

Lady Hornwood deserved a better, and kinder fate..Her death, after having lost her son and husband, was so cruel. And her showing an interest in Rodrik Cassel, and him trying to save her but being to late just made things worse. I truly hated the Bastard for that.

Jojen Reed.. what the heck?! Dude refrain from posting spoilers!

Maester Luwin came at a close second to Samwell's story for me. Or maybe it was equal with it. Anyhow, I fully agree with Brother Darkness about the sacrifices these minor characters make. I've always had an extremely soft spot for the unsung heroes in books, guys like Yoren, Qhorin Halfhand, Samwell Tarly, Maesters Luwin and Aemon, Podrick Payne and others.

They help save a major character's ass and end up having really impactful deaths from a storyline perspective, but nobody remembers them or spares them a thought. Mostly. It's genuinely sad and tragic.

When we find out that the dwarf sparrow that Brienne met was killed so that someone could try to pass his head off as Tyrion's. He seemed like a good guy and got killed for no other reason than that he was a dwarf in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Archived