What are your favourite phrases?

dr.storm

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." -Jojen Reed

"Dreams are what we have." – Jojen Reed

"To Winterfell we pledge the faith of Greywater. Hearth and heart and harvest we yield up to you, my lord. Our swords and spears and arrows are yours to command. Grant mercy to our weak, help to our helpless, and justice to all, and we shall never fail you. I swear it by earth and water. I swear it by bronze and iron. We swear it by ice and fire."

— Meera Reed & Jojen Reed

“Oberyn was ever the viper. Deadly, dangerous, unpredictable. no man dared tread on him. I was the grass. Pleasant, complaisant, sweet-smelling, swaying with every breeze. Who fears to walk upon the grass? But it is the grass that hides the viper from his enemies and shelters him until he strikes.”

— Doran Martell

"Silence is a prince’s friend. Words are like arrows, Arianne. Once loosed, you cannot call them back." -Doran Martell

"Sometimes it is best to study a game before you attempt to play it. How well do you know the game, Arianne?"

-Doran Martell

"Fear cuts deeper than swords"

this, and a few that haven't been said:

"Laugher is poison to fear"

“Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them”

“Boys believe nothing can hurt them. Grown men know better”

“Paint stripes on a toad, it does not become a tiger”

"No man grows rich by kindness"

this, and a few that haven't been said:

"Laugher is poison to fear"

“Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them”

“Boys believe nothing can hurt them. Grown men know better”

“Paint stripes on a toad, it does not become a tiger”

"No man grows rich by kindness"

"No man grows rich by kindness" didn't Jesus? He wasn't rich with monetary gain but with people and emotions. Just had to ask. For the record I'm an athiest.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."

"I prefer my history dead. Dead history is writ in ink, the living sort in blood."

"Why is it always the innocents who suffer most, when you high lords play your game of thrones?"

"There are no true knights, no more than there are gods. If you can't protect yourself, die and get out of the way of those who can. Sharp steel and strong arms rule this world, don't ever believe any different."

"There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man."

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave."

"The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints – 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does he get more worms than I do...'"

"What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger."

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge."

"If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."

"There will be pain."

"I'll scream."

"A great deal of pain."

"I'll scream very loudly."

"Once they figure a way to work a dead horse, we'll be next. Likely I'll be the first too. 'Edd,' they'll say, 'dying's no excuse for laying down no more, so get on up and take this spear, you've got first watch tonight.' Well, I shouldn't be so gloomy. Might be I'll die before they work it out."

"I don't know who my mother was."

"Some woman, no doubt. Most of them are."

"Do you have any notion what happens when a city is sacked, Sansa? No, you wouldn’t, would you? All you know of life you learned from singers, and there is such a dearth of good sacking songs."

“Another name? Oh, certainly. And when the Faceless Men come to kill me, I’ll say, 'No, you have the wrong man, I’m a different dwarf with a hideous facial scar.'”

"If I could pray with my cock, I would be much more religious."

*"The things I do for love". Jaime Lannister.

*-"You are no Tywin Lannister, to slaughter innocents"

-"And how long will this one remain an innocent". Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon.

*"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground." Cersei Lannister.

*-"Jaime is a handsome fool."

- "And yet he was your first choice to be the King's Hand. What does that make you, Cersei?" Cersei and Kevan Lannister.

*"Cersei thought of all the King's Hands that she had known through the years... All of them are burning now. They are dead and burning, every one, with all their plots and schemes and betrayals." Cersei Lannister.

*"All that mistrust will sour your stomach and keep you awake by night, 'tis true, but better that than the long sleep that does not end." Tyrion Lannister.

*"His forebears are as dead as mine". Daenerys Targaryen, upon hearing an impressive list of Hizdahr's ancestors.

"Words. Words are wind."

"The North remembers."

"Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Winter is almost upon us. Kill the boy and let the man be born."

"My skin turns to porcelain, to ivory, to steel."

"A smuggler who rose above himself, a fool who loved his king too much."

Archived