characters who are totally overated by many fans

ser sean of hamill

Well my list goes like this;

Arya

Bronn

Dany

Syrio Forel

Tyrion

I have never understood the love for Syrio and I think Bronn is constantly overrated, in various aspects. Arya, Dany and Tyrion are doing horrible things that they get away with for some reason.

Daario Naharis as a fighter, in that we never actually see him fight anybody, and all his deeds are relayed to us by him. In fact, on my recent re-read of ADWD, I started to wonder if he's actually all that. Here's how he describes one of his finer kills when he comes before Daenerys:

This blood is not mine. One of my serjeants said we should go over to the Yunkai’i, so I reached down his throat and pulled his heart out.

Seems...unlikely that he killed a man that way. But whatever. Maybe he's prettying up the tale of the time he killed some guy. I didn't get too suspicious until I read this:

In Lhazar I slew two of my own serjeants for plotting to steal the gems and gold plate my queen had entrusted to me as gifts for the Lamb Men.

Wait, so this is the second time in a short period he's come back with tales about how he's killed a traitorous serjeant?

So I started to critically observe his comments about some of the fight's he's been in.

“This?” Daario touched his temple. “A crossbowman tried to put a quarrel through my eye, but I outrode it. I was hurrying home to my queen, to bask in the warmth of her smile.

In the field, he would sleep in the saddle oft as not, he claimed, so as to be well rested should he come upon a battle. Sun or storm, it made no matter. “

As he told his tale, from time to time a drop of bright red blood would patter against the marble floor, and Dany would wince. “How many men were killed?” she asked when he was done.

“Of ours? I did not stop to count. We gained more than we lost, though.”

“Attack,” he said at once. “A man surrounded by foes cannot defend himself. Try, and the axe will take you in the back whilst you are parrying the sword. No. When faced with many enemies, choose the weakest, kill him, ride over him, and escape.”

Now, for a fabulous fighter, there seems to be a lot of bullshit here. Consider Jaime Lannister tells us in ASoS, the way to fight a bowman on horseback is to charge him down, as he'll flee. Consider the trouble Arya, a very fine rider, has sleeping in the saddle in ASoS. Consider that not counting to see how many men you lost, and running away to get to something pleasant, reminds me more of Sam's escape from the Fist of the First Men than a super cool battle.

So when I got up to the mystery of why Daario sleeps so well:

When Dany told him how Serwyn of the Mirror Shield was haunted by the ghosts of all the knights he’d killed, Daario only laughed. “If the ones I killed come bother me, I will kill them all again.” He has a sellsword’s conscience, she realized then. That is to say, none at all.

I thought, maybe the answer is he actually hasn't killed all that many people, if anyone.

I guess my interpretation of Sansa chapters are much much different then yours. I definitely think she is learning a lot from Littlefinger. Whether He intends her to or not, idk. And shown no talent for ruling? Strongly disagree. See her COK Battle of the Blackwater chapters as just one example.

Yes she has a clique on this board but really outside of these boards she is quite hated so i don't see how anyone can call Sansa overrated.

I agree that she's learning a lot from LF, although we have yet to see her use it. She knows a lot too, but we haven't seen her use it. She's a loaded Chekhov's Gun if I ever saw one. I like Sansa because I see the potential for a really interesting and powerful character arc. So far though, she's still one of the most passive characters in the series.

That said, I really don't think she's hated, aside from the normal, trolling hate that someone has for every character. I think what people are tired of is the extraordinarily strident defense of her, especially in this forum. In that sense, I would definitely call her incredibly overrated, if only because she hasn't actually done anything.

the woman had multiple miscarriages and stillbirths and her father forced her to have an abortion. Jaime's a dude. He's not interested because of his sister. You put him in a room after some wine and say "have sex with this perfectly willing, beautiful redhead" and he'll close his eyes and think of england.

I'd like to say that the miscarriages were due to the fact that Jon Arryn was an old geezer. If a healthy man like Jamie were to bed Lysa then she wouldn't have a miscarriage.

Sansa. She has had a nice character development and all, and I have liked her since she escaped with LF, but all the analysis which goes to her is misplaced and overreading.

Sand Snakes. They are idiotic savages.

Rhaegar. An idiotic prince who destroys a dynasty for his dick.

Ashara. Who?

Arya: I can't stand her for the first three books. Probably because she's walking the whole goddamn time. She's one of my favorites now, though.

Stannis : Dude is an asshole. His claim might be the best, but no one gives a crap.

Victarion: I love his chapters, but the dude is cruel. He doesn't think twice about killing his own men and isn't that much better than a slaver. The Ironborn social values and culture are to blame, though.

Blackfish: What did he do to become so awesome?

Underrated: Littlefinger. He created the biggest plot twist by murdering Joffrey let alone started the whole Stark/Lannister war. I still think he'll cause another major plot twist. After all, he thrives on chaos.

Not just characters. Also overrated: the metre of some of those Stannis-cheerleader-slogans. Stan, Stan, rhymes with The Man... It hurts. And it's almost as awful as 'One god, one king, one realm.' But for different reasons.

I admit though: The poetic talent of my favourite character is also seriously overrated. The Dornisman's Wife is terrible enough as it is. No need to make the metre even worse. And peach - leech must be the worst rhyme in all of Westeros.

But as far as overrated characters go, it's Stannis, of course.

There can be only one: Tywin Lannister.

Did absolutely nothing right in the end.

Runner up is Jaime Lannister the Kingslayer. But at least he has some redeeming features. In there, somewhere. But he too did little right.

And for the bronze medal there's Theon "Reek" Greyjoy. Uppity little snot with little intelligence that got pwned by our friendly neighbourhood Ted Bundy, Ramsay Snow.

Yet all these character generate a lot of love for some reason.

Personally I don't hate them but neither do I admire them for their "achievements".

Archived