The Mountain vs Robert Baratheon

KhalFrodo

Let's assume that we could get the Robert who fought on the Trident and pit him against The Mountain in singles combat. Who would you place your golden stags on? I personally think Robert's warhammer finds its way to Gregor's breastplate.

Well, the gap in sheer strength isn't that different between the two. Robert was renown for freakish strengh, and wasn't exactly a small guy to match. Ned could barely lift Robert's hammer, while he swung it around with relative ease.

Still, Gregor Clegane is a super-human killing machine fuelled by mindless rage along with insanity brought on by constant migraines. I'm not sure -anyone- really stands a reasonable chance against him without dancing around left and right along with foul play like Oberyn used. Robert would mix it up head-on, and that might be his undoing.

Robert definetly, he has skill as well as brute force and if he has plate on he doesnt have much to worry about from gregors sword. A hammer is made to crack plate.

Not only this, but I feel like Robert is more skilled a warrior. Gregor never strikes me as an insanely skilled warrior, just one that uses his insane size and strength. I think that is why someone like Sandor has no real fear of Gregor. Robert and Sandor seem to be of a size, I think with Robert being stronger, and Robert at the Trident is pretty unstoppable. Robert has size, strength, and strength to hang in with Gregor, and skill and speed to surpass Gregor.

Robert definetly, he has skill as well as brute force and if he has plate on he doesnt have much to worry about from gregors sword. A hammer is made to crack plate.

I'm not a historian on medieval armor. Is a greatsword rendered useless by plate? Especially while swung by a beast like Gregor who took a horse's head off with one swing.

I'm going with Gregor. He's almost 8 feet, which is a foot and a half bigger than Robert, which gives him reach over the hammer anyway, but he's also using a two handed sword in one hand so it's even longer. And he's been described as remarkably quick for his size. I don't know that we have much description of Robert in battle other than that he was really strong. All these 'who would win' things strike me as somewhat ridiculous, but I like answering them anyway. As a better poster than me once said to the question of "Who would win a fight..."

If you think debating which fictional character could defeat another fictional character in a fight is a game then I dont know what to tell you.

Like, what would happen if the Queen of Thorns fought Drogon? Because on the one hand, the Queen of Thorns is really cunning and devious and witty. But on the other hand, Drogon is a gigantic flying lizard who breathes fire.

Do you mean Bronn and Sandor from that TV show? Or from those books they licensed based on the TV show?

I'll also need to know the following;

- How many naked women has Bronn explained his backstory too before the fight?

- Has anyone combed Sandor's pretty pretty hair?

- If Bronn decides to use his secret weapon and lights a match, will he wait until Sandor stops crying to resume the fight?

- Can Bronn use the superfluous 'n' in his name as some sort of throwing star?

Yours sincerely,

A Martial Arts Expert.

Not only this, but I feel like Robert is more skilled a warrior. Gregor never strikes me as an insanely skilled warrior, just one that uses his insane size and strength. I think that is why someone like Sandor has no real fear of Gregor. Robert and Sandor seem to be of a size, I think with Robert being stronger, and Robert at the Trident is pretty unstoppable. Robert has size, strength, and strength to hang in with Gregor, and skill and speed to surpass Gregor.

Sandor is afraid of Gregor, he just hates him and wants to kill him (even though he didn't attack him, he just defended against him), and Sandor's a good guy so he couldn't stand to see Gregor just try to kill a defenseless person, even if it was a douche like Loras Tyrell.

Did you read about the size of Gregor's sword?

By the way, Gregor was 8 feet tall and Robert 6 1/2 feet tall. I would imagine, Gregor having reach advantage over Robert, especially with the great sword of his. Don't think Robert would have won this, Gregor was a freak of nature, men like that don't come too often along.

I'm going with Gregor. He's almost 8 feet, which is a foot and a half bigger than Robert, which gives him reach over the hammer anyway, but he's also using a two handed sword in one hand so it's even longer. And he's been described as remarkably quick for his size. I don't know that we have much description of Robert in battle other than that he was really strong. All these 'who would win' things strike me as somewhat ridiculous, but I like answering them anyway. As a better poster than me once said to the question of "Who would win a fight..."

I agree, but it is fun to indulge in these what if scenarios, because why not.

Sandor is afraid of Gregor, he just hates him and wants to kill him (even though he didn't attack him, he just defended against him), and Sandor's a good guy so he couldn't stand to see Gregor just try to kill a defenseless person, even if it was a douche like Loras Tyrell.

I'm not saying your wrong, but I just don't remember reading that Sandor is afraid of Gregor, maybe when they were younger, but I feel that Sandor knows how big strong and skilled he (Sandor) is, and which is why he is such a good fighter. I think the fact that Sandor is willing and does jump in at a chance to be toe to toe with Gregor, shows that he has no fear of Gregor.

But to get back on topic, Robert is extremely strong, even when he is fat and drunk Robert, let alone strong and fit Robert. Doesn't a fat drunken Robert give Jaime a tiny shove that send him flying during the Tourney of the Hand? This was also IIRC, a fully armored Jaime, adding extra weight and needing more strength. Robert isn't stupid in a fight, he knows how to fight and how to win, I doubt he would go rushing into a bigger stronger fighter. Gregor on the other hand has shown no qualities other than being big and strong. He doesn't seem to be nearly as skilled as half of the characters we meet. Robert on the other hand shows his great strength (heaviest hammer ever!), his size (isn't he around 6.5 feet like Sandor?), his skill (Ned's recollection and others comments), and speed (running around with armor and a giant hammer). I'm not saying it would be easy for Robert, but he has more going for him entering the fight than Gregor does.

People often accuse Robert of being stupid and in many areas he was. Economics, politics and laws are all areas Roberts doesnt care about or is ignorant towards. But when it comes to warfare and fighting he is one of the best in Westeros. Gregor Clegane on the other hand is little more than a terrifying brute, he relied on Tywin for all his tactics and battle plans. This was proven when he faced the Red Viper. So Robert has the edge in intelligence.

Gregor clearly has the edge in strength. His is like nothing human. Robert is one of the strongest men in Westeros but the Mountain is just stronger.

Robert is faster, Bronn describes the Mountain as not fast just freakish big and freakish strong. The mountain is faster than a man his size should be but that still wouldnt make him that fast. Robert is described as muscled like a maidens fantasy, implying that he is not overly bulky. Even with his warhammer, Robert has the speed advantage.

Roberts weapon is designed for dealin with plate. His warhammer is huge and he wields as easily as most men would a longsword. Gregors heavy plate is better protection than others have considering how thick it is but there is no resisting a warhammer. There is a clip on youtube of a warhammer demonstration against plate and mail and the warhammer is tiny compared to Roberts. It crushes with the hammer side and punctures with the spike, there is no resisting it. Gregors weapon offers good reach but it will have a hard time dealing with Roberts plate as well as his speed.

Robert has more skill. The mountain relies on his strength rather than any Jaime style talent with his weapon.

Overall Robert will certainley defeat the Mountain. Robert is too fast, smart and skilled for the mountain. He also has the perfect weapon for dealing with plate. The Mountain has the strength advantage and as we have seen that is not enough.

People often accuse Robert of being stupid and in many areas he was. Economics, politics and laws are all areas Roberts doesnt care about or is ignorant towards. But when it comes to warfare and fighting he is one of the best in Westeros. Gregor Clegane on the other hand is little more than a terrifying brute, he relied on Tywin for all his tactics and battle plans. This was proven when he faced the Red Viper. So Robert has the edge in intelligence.

Gregor clearly has the edge in strength. His is like nothing human. Robert is one of the strongest men in Westeros but the Mountain is just stronger.

Robert is faster, Bronn describes the Mountain as not fast just freakish big and freakish strong. The mountain is faster than a man his size should be but that still wouldnt make him that fast. Robert is described as muscled like a maidens fantasy, implying that he is not overly bulky. Even with his warhammer, Robert has the speed advantage.

Roberts weapon is designed for dealin with plate. His warhammer is huge and he wields as easily as most men would a longsword. Gregors heavy plate is better protection than others have considering how thick it is but there is no resisting a warhammer. There is a clip on youtube of a warhammer demonstration against plate and mail and the warhammer is tiny compared to Roberts. It crushes with the hammer side and punctures with the spike, there is no resisting it. Gregors weapon offers good reach but it will have a hard time dealing with Roberts plate as well as his speed.

Robert has more skill. The mountain relies on his strength rather than any Jaime style talent with his weapon.

Overall Robert will certainley defeat the Mountain. Robert is too fast, smart and skilled for the mountain. He also has the perfect weapon for dealing with plate. The Mountain has the strength advantage and as we have seen that is not enough.

Where in the books does it say anything about Robert being fast? It doesn't.

I'm not saying your wrong, but I just don't remember reading that Sandor is afraid of Gregor, maybe when they were younger, but I feel that Sandor knows how big strong and skilled he (Sandor) is, and which is why he is such a good fighter. I think the fact that Sandor is willing and does jump in at a chance to be toe to toe with Gregor, shows that he has no fear of Gregor.

But to get back on topic, Robert is extremely strong, even when he is fat and drunk Robert, let alone strong and fit Robert. Doesn't a fat drunken Robert give Jaime a tiny shove that send him flying during the Tourney of the Hand? This was also IIRC, a fully armored Jaime, adding extra weight and needing more strength. Robert isn't stupid in a fight, he knows how to fight and how to win, I doubt he would go rushing into a bigger stronger fighter. Gregor on the other hand has shown no qualities other than being big and strong. He doesn't seem to be nearly as skilled as half of the characters we meet. Robert on the other hand shows his great strength (heaviest hammer ever!), his size (isn't he around 6.5 feet like Sandor?), his skill (Ned's recollection and others comments), and speed (running around with armor and a giant hammer). I'm not saying it would be easy for Robert, but he has more going for him entering the fight than Gregor does.

C'mon dude, you give Gregor way less credit than he deserves. Would the Mountain have lived this long if he didn't have any brain and skill in battles?

I do admit, the Mountain should have lost against the Red Viper (the Red Viper let Gregor smash his face in primarily to start a war, and kill a Lannister in the process), but still he would be a match for Robert. Who would win, will depend on many factors, but I do have to say, that Gregor would be winning in the size and strength category.

I too shall side with Bobby B. Did you see the back hand he gave Cersei? Bruised her cheek on spot, and that was just with his naked hand. Imagine if he had been wearing a gauntlet.If he can do that with his hand, he can cave in a chest with his war hammer.

Domestic violence is not funny, however I did laugh when i read this. What is wrong with you man?

I have always wondered about Sandors actions when he saved Loras but I dont think he was afraid. I just dont think you go toe to toe with an 8 foot tall monster that burned your face off if you are afraid of him. The hound is afraid of fire no doubt but I think Sansa is wrong when she thinks he is afraid of Gregor. Barristan is a good guy as well and yet he did nothing when Gregor attacked.

He didnt even attack Gregor, he blocked all of his cuts and slashes and could have taken his head off considering Gregor was helm-less. I still wonder why he did this.

Where in the books does it say anything about Robert being fast? It doesn't.

I never wrote Robert was fast, I wrote Robert was faster than Gregor. Gregor is slow and his plate is too heavy. Robert is described as well muscled but never bulky and slow.

C'mon dude, you give Gregor way less credit than he deserves. Would the Mountain have lived this long if he didn't have any brain and skill in battles?

I do admit, the Mountain should have lost against the Red Viper (the Red Viper let Gregor smash his face in primarily to start a war, and kill a Lannister in the process), but still he would be a match for Robert. Who would win, will depend on many factors, but I do have to say, that Gregor would be winning in the size and strength category.

I'm not trying to be unfair to the Mountain, or take credit away from him, but I do truly believe that he relies solely on his size and strength. We have two examples of skilled warriors easily handling Gregor. Obreyn easily avoids his attacks and strikes at will. Sandor parries and blocks all of his attacks without ever striking at Gregor. I clearly said it wouldn't be an easy fight for Robert to win, but he clearly wouldn't be as disadvantaged as nearly all other characters would be while fighting the Mountain. I also acknowledged that Gregor is clearly stronger and bigger than Robert, but Robert is by no means a small guy, and is probably one of the strongest in the realm (discounting Gregor, since he is freakish). Combine Robert's strength, size, skill, and speed (in relative terms as Batman pointed out), and Robert is in a very good position to defeat Gregor in a one on one fight.

Archived