The Mountain vs Robert Baratheon

KhalFrodo

Robert Baratheon all day. He was huge himself at 6'6 and a much more skilled warrior. He slew the great Rhaegar Targaryen in single combat, caved in his chest like it was a fucking gong. He won three battles in a day! With warhammer in hand he would CRUSH THE MOUNTAINS DOME.

I never wrote Robert was fast, I wrote Robert was faster than Gregor. Gregor is slow and his plate is too heavy. Robert is described as well muscled but never bulky and slow.

How do you know Robert was faster Gregor? Do you have any evidence from the books to validate your claims?

By the way, wasn't Gregor described as 8 feet of pure muscle? Oh, and Gregor's plate was said to be too heavy...for any other man except him.

I'm not trying to be unfair to the Mountain, or take credit away from him, but I do truly believe that he relies solely on his size and strength. We have two examples of skilled warriors easily handling Gregor. Obreyn easily avoids his attacks and strikes at will. Sandor parries and blocks all of his attacks without ever striking at Gregor. I clearly said it wouldn't be an easy fight for Robert to win, but he clearly wouldn't be as disadvantaged as nearly all other characters would be while fighting the Mountain. I also acknowledged that Gregor is clearly stronger and bigger than Robert, but Robert is by no means a small guy, and is probably one of the strongest in the realm (discounting Gregor, since he is freakish). Combine Robert's strength, size, skill, and speed (in relative terms as Batman pointed out), and Robert is in a very good position to defeat Gregor in a one on one fight.

I know people keep saying Robert had speed and was faster than Gregor, but how do you guys know this? Are you guys going by the, "Robert is smaller than Gregor, therefore faster" logic?

I know people keep saying Robert had speed and was faster than Gregor, but how do you guys know this?

They don't, they're just assuming it for no reason. One guy said it was because he was 'muscled like a maiden's dream'. In that case, I guess Gregor being 8 feet of pure muscle just slows Gregor down, is what they're saying? Gregor isn't slow - in the books it actually says he is faster than a person his size has any right to be. He might be slow compared to Oberyn wearing minimal armor, but Robert is a big guy too in heavy armor (like Gregor). Also, Robert being 6'6 still leaves him a FOOT AND A HALF SHORTER (loud voice) than Gregor.

So while we actually have someone in the books commenting on how Gregor is, at the least, fast for an 8 foot tall guy in full plate, we have nothing on Robert's speed. We know he is strong and wears heavy armor, and his 40 lb hammer has got to slow him down. An 8 pound sledge hammer is hard to swing around.

I'm not trying to tell you that Robert can't beat him (even though I don't think he could) I'm just saying that this fast Robert/ Slow Gregor thing is just something you guys made up.

edit: I remember a distinctly similar bias against the Hound in all those Sandor/Bronn threads: everyone said Sandor was really slow, even though there was ZERO evidence of that in the books.

conclusion: The Clegane's get no respect for their speed. It's just assumed by people that they are slow for absolutely no textual reason.

yeah I love the Cleganes...

Yeah it seems to take him most of the fight to realize when fighting a spear you just need to get inside of the spearpoint, and he then fails to actually hit Oberyn, and even somehow allows him to recover his spear after it is knocked away. Not an impressive performance

Sandor is awesome but Gregor is a montster and the fight with Oberyn shows he has no idea of tactics. He just hacks and slashes and kills.

Exactly he's like a giant woodchipper. What happens when you throw a guy in armor with a big hammer into a woodchipper? There's only one way to find out.

Is MythBusters up for this?

I know people keep saying Robert had speed and was faster than Gregor, but how do you guys know this? Are you guys going by the, "Robert is smaller than Gregor, therefore faster" logic?

No, not going by any sort of logical fallacy, just going on things that I have inferred from reading. Not even sure if its true or not, I just think its likely. Bronn says that he would have to use speed to beat Gregor, IIRC. Robert was always described for his size, yet never once mentioned how he is an ungraceful man. Gregor may be quicker than any man his size has a right to be, but how quick can an eight foot man be. I also don't think anyone is saying that Robert is fast or quick, just relatively speaking, compared to the Mountain.

They don't, they're just assuming it for no reason. One guy said it was because he was 'muscled like a maiden's dream'. In that case, I guess Gregor being 8 feet of pure muscle just slows Gregor down, is what they're saying? Gregor isn't slow - in the books it actually says he is faster than a person his size has any right to be. He might be slow compared to Oberyn wearing minimal armor, but Robert is a big guy too in heavy armor (like Gregor). Also, Robert being 6'6 still leaves him a FOOT AND A HALF SHORTER (loud voice) than Gregor.

So while we actually have someone in the books commenting on how Gregor is, at the least, fast for an 8 foot tall guy in full plate, we have nothing on Robert's speed. We know he is strong and wears heavy armor, and his 40 lb hammer has got to slow him down. An 8 pound sledge hammer is hard to swing around.

I'm not trying to tell you that Robert can't beat him (even though I don't think he could) I'm just saying that this fast Robert/ Slow Gregor thing is just something you guys made up.

edit: I remember a distinctly similar bias against the Hound in all those Sandor/Bronn threads: everyone said Sandor was really slow, even though there was ZERO evidence of that in the books.

conclusion: The Clegane's get no respect for their speed. It's just assumed by people that they are slow for absolutely no textual reason.

yeah I love the Cleganes...

I don't think Gregor being faster than a person his size has a right to be, means he is actually quick or fast, just faster than anyone actually thinks he may be. So even if Robert is of average or speed, he could still be faster or quicker than the Mountain. Part of Obreyn's "victory" over the Mountain, was that Obreyn tired the Mountain out (Rope-A-Dope style), which is something Robert that we know didn't happen to Robert, and his warhammer had to weigh more than Gregor's great sword. Also one strike from Robert's hammer has a better chance of hurting Gregor, than a strike from Gregor's sword, that's an advantage I would take.

I still don't think Bronn could beat Sandor, seeing as how at the start of ASoIaF, I see Sandor as only being challenged by Jaime and possibly Barristan (more on reputation than anything else). I too love the Cleganes, but think that Robert has more advantages than any other character in the series, entering a fight with the Mountain. (I do think Robert would win).

MythBuster meets deadliest warrior for ASoIaF? Want to pitch this to GRRM and TV channels with me? Or better yet Youtube?

Exactly he's like a giant woodchipper. What happens when you throw a guy in armor with a big hammer into a woodchipper? There's only one way to find out.

The thing is, the mountain wins because most people cannot block his swings or stand up to a hit from him. Robert Baratheon can.

I don't think there are too many armour around that could withstand the impact of the Montain's double handed great-sword, especially if you combine that with his freakish strength.

Robert's armor. The Mountain wear super heavy reinforced plate due to his size. The purpose is to make him absolutely impervious to swords and arrows. Perhaps the only other person who can wear armor of that strength is Robert. Not to mention one hit to the head would drive Gregor into an awful migraine.

Robert's armor. The Mountain wear super heavy reinforced plate due to his size. The purpose is to make him absolutely impervious to swords and arrows. Perhaps the only other person who can wear armor of that strength is Robert. Not to mention one hit to the head would drive Gregor into an awful migraine.

To be honest, this seems to be mental masturbation. We will never know who would win in a battle, so let's agree to disagree.

To be honest, this seems to be mental masturbation. We will never know who would win in a battle, so let's agree to disagree.

never heard that term before. I agree we'll never know for sure, but from the presentation, young fit Robert Baratheon doesn't seem likely to lose to anyone.

How do you know Robert was faster Gregor? Do you have any evidence from the books to validate your claims?

By the way, wasn't Gregor described as 8 feet of pure muscle? Oh, and Gregor's plate was said to be too heavy...for any other man except him.

How slow exactly do you think Robert is? He was smaller, yet muscled enough to wield that warhammer easily. We know that Gregor isnt fast. What possible reason is there that anyone would believe that Robert is slower than Gregor?

Because of the fact that Roberts speed is not mentioned explicitly, I tend to work under the assumption that Robert is faster than those taller than him, besides the Hound.

Archived