Transformers

Calibandar

What do folks expect from this film? Will it succumb to the pitfalls and become a tremendously cheesy mishit? Or will we ( general public and nostalgic fans like myself) finally find a new Transformers product ( after the miserable wave of new comics and supremely childish new Transformers: Armada cartoons), one that will live up to it's great potential and present us with an awesome Sci-fi movie?

Thoughts? Excited: yeah or no?

All I know is that He-Man teamed up with the GI Joes to beat the Transformers, but at the end of the day they all got crushed by my neighbor's Big Wheel.

I think the Rescue Rangers will come out on top.

What do folks expect from this film? Will it succumb to the pitfalls and become a tremendously cheesy mishit? Or will we ( general public and nostalgic fans like myself) finally find a new Transformers product ( after the miserable wave of new comics and supremely childish new Transformers: Armada cartoons), one that will live up to it's great potential and present us with an awesome Sci-fi movie?

Thoughts? Excited: yeah or no?

All I know is I'm gonna see this movie and I'm excited about it. It's Transformers, I can't not be excited about it.

Reasons why I worry:

The Island, Pearl Harbor, The Rock, Armageddon and Bad Boys (all Michael Bay films).

Personally, if it has a story at least as decent as the original movie (hey, I loved it even though I was long past Transformers age), I'll be happy with it.

It'll be a Michael Bay film, so it will look great if nothing else. (I actually liked the Island)

You know, the only reason the Matrix of Leadership rejected Ultra Magnus was because that idiot Hot Rod caught it when Optimus Prime dropped it after dying, thus aligning his own Autobot identity to it's locking mechanism. Damn upstart, Rodimus Prime *barf*, stole the leadership and the moment of victory that was rightfully Ultra Magnus's!

I'd been following it's development on the producer's message board on and off for a few years now. And I've got to say...what I've seen and read has not been encouraging. The release date, however, is. A 4th of July, height of summer release means that the studio thinks this will be a MASSIVE blockbuster and are likely to put heavy resources into it. And the very least, that should mean stunning visuals.

You know, the only reason the Matrix of Leadership rejected Ultra Magnus was because that idiot Hot Rod caught it when Optimus Prime dropped it after dying, thus aligning his own Autobot identity to it's locking mechanism. Damn upstart, Rodimus Prime *barf*, stole the leadership and the moment of victory that was rightfully Ultra Magnus's!

truer words have never been spoken. :cry:

i'm pretty stoked to see the new movie.

BA-WEEP-GRA-NA-WEEP-NINNI-BOM!

Because Magnus would have been a good leader? The Matrix should have gone to Springer. Magnus was only offered because he was also a truck. He lacked the leadership skills, and it's pretty clear from season 3 that the Matrix doesn't confer those automatically.

Hell, I'd take Grimlock over Magnus. He may not be bright in the series (quite a bit brighter in the comics), but he's got guts, and pretty good instincts. But Magnus never impressed me as a potential leader, or even as commander of Autobot City. He can't understand members of his own command, he hasn't set up a way of communicating with the entire city that there's an army shooting at it... he's got his people so used to taking orders that Blaster won't take the initiative to contact Optimus about the fact that every Decepticon except Shockwave is attacking until he gets an order...

Yeah, Magnus can burn in hell. With Wheelie.

If anyone should be robbed of his spark it should be Blurr, by far the most irritating character in the Transformers series.

Other failures:

Megatron becoming Galvatron

Rodimus Prime. Everything about him was second rank.

Actually most of season's three characters were pretty bad, even if the premise was great. In teh first two seasons I always wanted to know more about Cybertron itself.

Galvatron was a hell of a lot cooler than Megatron in the comics. Galvatron once stuffed a grenade an an enemy Transformer's mouth and then held him aloft whilst his head exploded. Niiiiice.

Magnus was overrated. He got his bitch-ass kicked far too often by Galvatron to be an effective protagonist. Rodimus was cooler in the comics and a lot more ruthless. Still, he was also irritating and it was quite amusing when he and the rest of the future Autobots from the movie got trapped in an alterante parallel 'hell' dimension where the Decepticons won the events of the film and Unicron destroyed Cybertron.

Comics I'm sure were nice, but much like 90% of Transformers fandom, my impressions and early memories were created by the TV show. So that also becomes my frame of reference for characters and their personalities. And while Ultra Magnus no doubt makes a better soldier than a leader, I'd still take him over that punk Rodimus.

Just from reading summaries of the comics, I think I like the concepts of Grimlock and Galvatron (personalities, not origins) in the comics better than the TV show, but I don't mind what they did with them in the cartoons either. At least the early season shit with Grimlock where he was more badass idiot than just sheer idiot. Prefer Megatron over Galvatron though.

I just can't get over the comic origin for Transformers...frankly, I think it sucks. I hate that it doesn't leave any doubt as to the sentience and presence of a soul in the transformers. I found the two great warring gods concept to just be silly. Much prefered the cartoon origin, created to be functional slaves and later overthrew their masters and warred amongst eachother.

Ultra Magnus I didn't like as a leader. From the point in the movie where Arcee reports that Kup and Hot Rod's ship was blown away and Magnus says "I can't deal with that right now!" I didn't like him. Sure he had to prioritize but that line shows that he couldn't handle the pressure.

I liked Rodimus Prime, not as much as Optimus but enough. He suffered time to time from brooding and a "why me?" attitude, but he was always ready to sacrifice himself to save others.

I hated it when Prime came back he turned back into Hot Rod. The whole point of the movie was him going from a child to an adult. Alpha Trion never went back to being A3, Optimus never went back to being Orion Pax, Rodimus shouldn't have gone back to being Hot Rod. He was grown up, you don't go back to being a kid once you're grown. Even with Optimus back Rodimus should have had some leadership role. As much as I loved him, Optimus just didn't feel right as the active commander in the last few episodes of the original series, too much had changed. He should have taken more of an Alpha Trion role and left the main leadership duties to Rodimus.

Anyone ever notice the parallels between Transformers: The Movie and Star Wars? Hot Rod is Luke, Springer is Han Solo, Arcee is Leia (she even had the hair style). There was even that scene where Hot Rod was practicing with a lightsaber type weapon. And Unicron was the Death Star. All that was missing was the scene where Galvatron says "Hot Rod, I am your father!"

I think the opposition to Rodimus is largely that he replaced a much beloved character. THat he was the prototypical hot, young substanceless dick that every show brings in to give it new life. Kind of like a movie set 1,000 years ago that brings in the 'I can do anything', modern sentiment laden woman to kick ass and take names. It's just fucking annoying. It's the same kind of character as Wheelie and Jar Jar, they brought in to sell shit to kids...but for whatever reason the execs don't realize that people hate that shit. Even the kids.

Archived