As some of you know, Stego has started a not-for-profit Crossfit box for underserved youth outside Boston. When fully operational, it'll have a reading library in addition to a safe space to exercise and learn about nutrition. I am so stoked for Stego and for those who will benefit from the existence of such a facility. But it also means that all of his time and energy is required elsewhere. A few weeks ago, Stego asked me to take his place as the Baroness of the BWB (can't be God-Emperor -- that's Pod's job). I accepted, and thus my reign as the rainbow-pooping kung-fu shrimp Baroness of the BWB has begun. I will be stepping down as a board moderator for the time that I'm in charge of the BWB because both tasks take a fair bit of time and, as much as I would like to, I can't just quit my day job.

Stego was the third member of the BWB that I met -- right after Cocomaan and Stilgar (with whom Mr. X and I carpooled to get to our first Boskone). Those who have been around the boards for awhile can surely recall how Stego was back in those days. Thus, I am sure you can imagine what was going through my mind in the run-up to this meeting. But I learned, as so many have, that Stego is simply one of the most generous, welcoming and, yes, friendly persons to be around. So when Lodey passed the crown of Baron of the BWB to Stego all those years ago, I knew that it was going to the right person -- someone who welcomed all fans into the fold and got 'em a drink and brought 'em over to meet George. I cannot say enough awesome things about Stego that will sufficiently articulate how he helped the BWB navigate a huge growth in fandom, a global financial meltdown and a chance meeting with The Tickler. Oh, the Tickler.

The prospect of taking up that mantle is daunting. The HBO show has brought in tens of thousands of new fans (the board membership doubled during the first season) in addition to the tens of thousands of people who already considered themselves GRRM and ASOIAF aficionados. But I look forward to this challenge. Some of my best friends in the whole world I met through the BWB. Each new convention party, casual meet-up or totally random group activity (BWB Maryland Deathfest represent!) brings more opportunities to interact with some of the most interesting people in the world. I want the BWB to continue to be one of the best groups in fandom, and I specifically want to carry on the fan-inclusive tradition upheld by Lodey and Stego. This is encapsulated by something that Parris said to me a couple of years ago: "Everybody welcome, Everybody responsible."

My utmost gratitude goes to Lodengarl the Three-Fisted and Stego, the two previous Barons of the BWB. It goes to all of the BWB who have come before me and made this group something worth joining (Caress of Cersei, Ghost of Nymeria, Daj, Yagathai, and the Knights of the Cheesesteak who started it all; The Eurocommies who chased haggis), it goes to the Aussie contingent who keep things real in a land filled with poisonous beasts, and it goes to those who have helped Mr. X and me run the North American BWB WorldCon and Boskone parties. (To my party co-organizers: I'd take a non-lethal bullet for any of you. And sometimes, on the last day of a Con, after days of no sleep and too much booze, it kinda feels like I did.) It goes to Mr. X, my Island of Stability. It goes to the fallen: Lord Manwoody, EnlightenmentHK and Azmure. Finally, it goes to George and Parris. I don't think I need to explain why.

ChiCon is less than a month away. For those who are already going to be there: I can't wait to raise a glass with you. To those who can't make it: You will be missed. Maybe San Antonio? To those on the fence: This is your chance to chat with at least 65 very awesome people, one vegan cannibal and one dropbear. We'd love to meet you.

Awesome passes the ball to Awesome and she shoots and scores!!

Many thanks to Stego for his tenure and congratulations and best wishes to the Enforcer Shrimp for a long, fun, slightly inebriated and nerdy reign.

:bowdown:

You just did this so you didn't have to be a mod here any more haha. :P

There is nobody better suited for this role. Long may you reign. :bowdown:

Agreed! May your reign be glorious; filled with sweetness and speckledy thingamyjigs. I have a sudden urge to fashion icons of all our great leaders, past and present. :cheers:

X-ray, I wish you all the luck in the world. :cheers:

And...

Many thousands of thanks to those who reigned before you. :cheers:

I'm so glad I found this board and this community some 6 years ago. And I'm proud to be a member of the BwB.

I'm so looking forward to see you all in Chicago. :)

Although I'm a little anxious, too. :blushing:

Good that I already know some of you in RL. ;)

It's already been said, but there's no one better for this job than you. Congrats!

All hail Her Ladyship Baroness Crustacea! Kneel before her glory!

This transition (I was going to say strangely but maybe not so...given where I am) reminded me of Sam talking to Jon about all the Lord Commanders that have come before. Lodey, Stego and now our third glorious leader. The legends will grow.

I remember the X's first appearing at a Worldcon. While the BwB has always been very welcoming (IMHO), you still do wonder who this person is when you first meet them. But the X's immediately were willing to contribute their time to the cause. They were given responsibility for some important parts of the party. A number of us did look on to see what would happen...

By the end of that con I think we all realised the X's were full of awesome.

It's a great choice. The BwB has been very lucky with it's leaders over the years. From Lodeys singular determination to get us going in 2001, to Stego picking up the baton a few years ago to great acclaim and now to X-Rays rise. I don't think we could ask for better.

Thank you X-Ray for been willing to manage the insanity!

Thank you, all.

Pod -- nobody was more surprised than ourselves that we managed to pull off that extra bar at WC. For our troubles, we got: 1) A set of Zakalwe MS Paint originals, shamelessly appropriated during suite cleanup 2) The "Third Finger of Daj" cocktail, which was so horrible that nobody could have more than one swig of it and 3) The opportunity to drink whiskey from the ass of a gnome.

With those kinds of rewards, how could we ever leave?!

I can't think of a better choice

AHEM.

As others have said, no better choice possible.

AHEM.

It's already been said, but there's no one better for this job than you.

AHEM.

There is nobody better suited for this role. Long may you reign. :bowdown:

AHEM.

Fantastic, perfect choice. :love:

AHEM.

I see it now. The worm turns, and all the fair-weather friends fly. Well, I'll remember you. I'll remember all of you. Guess who's going to be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

I'm declaring a coup. COUP!

All Hail Xray, First of Her Name, Baroness of the Brotherhood, Queen of Gin and Metal, Lady of the Seventy Cocktails, Protector of the Party, Khaleesi of the Great Rainbow Farting Unicorn, called The Enforcer, The Unburnt, Mother of Shrimp!

Archived