Did Theon deserve the reek treatment?

StannisBamfatheon

Yeah so I've been bullish and bearish when it comes to Theon Greyjoy. In AGOT I thought he was pretty cool,a loyal friend of Robb Stark making the most of his ward situation. He got even better as the war broke out, fighting beside Robb at Whispering Wood and there was also the King in the North scene(My sword is yours in victory and defeat). However we al know what happens next. He goes back to the Iron Islands, reunites with Balon(daddy issues, I choose you!) and barnacles onto his fathers hairbrained invasion of the North.

He commits his masterstroke and takes Winterfell....then proceeds to run Winterfell into the ground. Killing the orphan boys, hunting Bran and Rickon, the strategic betrayal of Robb. By this time I wanted nothing more than the Young Wolf to march north and lopp of his head. And I'm sure every joe and mary reading ASOIAF felt the same. I hated Theon for turning his cloak.

So when the time came and he popped up in ADWD I was ready for some justice "ooooohhhh Boy here we go, take em to the cleaners Ramsay!" but almost immediately I couldn't help but feel bad for Theon. Like right when I realized he was missing some fingers and eating rats he probably nicknamed mr. whiskers I felt some empathy for him. I started to actively root for him and with each POV I kept hoping his name would morph from "Reek" into "Theon" at the top of the page. In fact one of the most touching passages from ADWD was when a somber and mournful Theon tells himself he should have died beside his friend and brother Robb Stark.

But again....Theon is essentially a child murderer and a turncloak who turned his back on the only true brother he's ever had. I wanted him dead in ACOK but what Ramsay is doing to him almost no one should go through, right?

Yes, he deserves it. Such is the fate of those who fuck with the starks. I hope he dies soon there will be no redemption for him. The son of a gun dealt robb a hard blow.

Believe me E-Ro, i'm with you. But you know the grey hair, the teeth, the fingers,the weird kinky sex stuff, just kinda felt bad for the dude. I don't suffer people who betrayed Robb though, and Theon also totally murdered some innocent kids. I'm definitely not weeping crystal tears overhere....just I dont know. Maybe more of a sucks to be you situation.

After Dance I felt bad for Theon. But I still thinks he deserved (most of) the Reek treatment. And to die (after Kingsmoot 2.0 where he leaves Asha as heir) out of pity and justice.

Jesus, you've gotta have a pretty stone cold demeanor to not feel as though even Theon, piece of shit that he is, didn't deserve the Dreadfort treatment. Ramsay is just the very sickest; for my money, he's the most unnerving and nightmarish character in the books. Please God don't let Ramsay Bolton get me...

No one deserves that, sorry. Theon made some terrible decisions and committed terrible crimes, but a swift sword to the neck would even be preferable to that. I feel pity for him, as he's downright pathetic.

He burned two innocent children to death, and unless i'm misremebering, has no remorse for that.

He didn't burn them to death. My book isn't on me (damn move) so I can't recall if he burned them in the book or if it was just on the show. In any case, they would've already been dead and the burning was to prevent them being recognized.

No one deserves that, sorry. Theon made some terrible decisions and committed terrible crimes, but a swift sword to the neck would even be preferable to that. I feel pity for him, as he's downright pathetic.

He didn't burn them to death. My book isn't on me (damn move) so I can't recall if he burned them in the book or if it was just on the show. In any case, they would've already been dead and the burning was to prevent them being recognized.

Don't think he burnt them in the books. Just tarred them

(ironic Mandely did the same with Davos)

Theon did not deserve the torture that Ramsay did to him. Yes Theon needed to be punished but not like that. I believe the horrible things he did come back to trying to please his "Iron born" family. He wanted to prove to his father that he was still iron born so he betrayed Robb Stark. Then wanted to prove he was deserving of more ships and his fathers approval by taking Winterfell and it just snow balled from there. So in my opinion Theon's evil doingings are the Iron born's fault.

May not deserve it, but I personally feel no remorse for him.

Yeah same. His smug ass bothered me since the first book. And then he turns around and does what he did to Winterfell. Oh hell naw. I was table flippin' mad.

Getting captured and held for ages, yeah he deserved that. I dont think he deserved the horrid torture that he got but i still never felt sorry for him. The only time i felt an inkling of emotion for Theon was when Ramsay ordered him to do...that...to Fake Arya. I was like "oh bogus..." But thats it!

Yeah same. His smug ass bothered me since the first book. And then he turns around and does what he did to Winterfell. Oh hell naw. I was table flippin' mad.

Getting captured and held for ages, yeah he deserved that. I dont think he deserved the horrid torture that he got but i still never felt sorry for him. The only time i felt an inkling of emotion for Theon was when Ramsay ordered him to do...that...to Fake Arya. I was like "oh bogus..." But thats it!

hah to be fair that scene was just over the top in general...."Reek bent to his task"

Me: I guess that means he has too....OH COME ON REALLY!

Got me on that, but he still killed 2 kids.

Archived