Names you used to mispronounce?

Summer Storm

I have to say I'm really excited this thread got so many replies since it's my first one ever and I was a bit nervous :love:

Gendry I say like Jendry. I do have to own up to saying Catelyn like Cait-lin, it kinda annoys me that it's spelt with an e in there if you don't need it, why not just call her Catlyn? Why GRRM, why?

Daenerys = "Day-nair-iss"

Gendry = Gen (as in gun)Dree

Viserys = Visair-iss

Targaryen = Targ-ar-yen

Aegon = Ay-gon

Tyrell = Tear-rell

Baratheon = Bar-ah-theon

Tywin = Tie-win

Tyrion = Tear-ee-on

Cersei = Ser-see

Jaime = Jamie (dude. this guy has my same name only with the i in a different spot!)

Gilly = Gill (like fish gills)-ee (it does look like it should be jilly though)

Maester = May-ster

Qarth = Karth

Rhaegar = Ray-gar

I still struggle with Arya - I just can't get Ay-ra out of my head. And then I'm sure I've heard people pronounce it Are-eya and others Arr-ya and others Aye-a.

I have no idea how to pronounce Rhaegar, it sounds different in my head everytime. As do all the names beginning with a Q and O.

I was always unsure if Maester was pronounced my-ster (like half of the actors in the show say it) or may-ster. I prefer may-ster, just because it flows off of my tongue easier. I also feel that half of the people on the show change the pronunciations of half of the names/locations every other episode.

Daenerys = "Day-nair-iss"

Gendry = Gen (as in gun)Dree

Viserys = Visair-iss

Targaryen = Targ-ar-yen

Aegon = Ay-gon

Tyrell = Tear-rell

Baratheon = Bar-ah-theon

Tywin = Tie-win

Tyrion = Tear-ee-on

Cersei = Ser-see

Jaime = Jamie (dude. this guy has my same name only with the i in a different spot!)

Gilly = Gill (like fish gills)-ee (it does look like it should be jilly though)

Maester = May-ster

Qarth = Karth

Rhaegar = Ray-gar

Buuuuuut 'tear' has two different pronounciations pally, I suppose you mean "tear" like tears in ones eyes though right?

I wouldn't consider it mispronunciation unless you really butcher it. I work with "foreigners" and they don't pronounce my name the way I would but I also wouldn't consider it incorrect. It's more of a dialect thing. There is this Filipino gentleman I collaborate with however who insists on referring to me as "Kebbin", and while it's close I would have to call that one a mispronunciation, though I don't correct him when he refers to me by name. Who gives a shit if I refer to Catelyn as "Caitlyn". I'm pretty sure everyone would know who I was referring to and unless she's a pretentious bitch (and some may argue this) I wouldn't expect her to correct me if she were "real".

I wouldn't consider it mispronunciation unless you really butcher it. I work with "foreigners" and they don't pronounce my name the way I would but I also wouldn't consider it incorrect. It's more of a dialect thing. There is this Filipino gentleman I collaborate with however who insists on referring to me as "Kebbin", and while it's close I would have to call that one a mispronunciation, though I don't correct him when he refers to me by name. Who gives a shit if I refer to Catelyn as "Caitlyn". I'm pretty sure everyone would know who I was referring to and unless she's a pretentious bitch (and some may argue this) I wouldn't expect her to correct me if she were "real".

"Sometimes, Catelyn felt her heart had turned to stone."

Aegon/ ah-GEE-on

Viserys/ vi-SAR-us

Oberyn/ O-ber-lyn (I have no idea where I got the ‘L’ in the last syllable from)

Cersei/ SAR-say

Ygritte/ yah-GREET

Jeor/ JEH-or

Arryn/ ARE-in

Tommen/ TOE-min

There are so many more but these are the ones I remember at the moment.

Oh and I always pronounce Margaery with a hard g (because of the A) -- "MAR-guh-ree". I believe on the show they just say it like Marjorie but I hold to my pronunciation.

Likewise. I battled with myself for ages trying to figure out how to pronounce her name, but I've settled on the hard g (like you, because of the a). I still haven't decided how to pronounce Gared, but since he's only appears briefly before dying, it doesn't matter.

Kettlebacks instead of Kettleblacks, idk why.

So I'm not alone. This is good...didn't notice the L until half way through AFFC, too late by then. They will always be the dudes with kettles on their backs.

I pronounced Tyrion a million different ways in my head until I watched the show a bit and settled into their pronunciation, well into the first book. Same thing with Baratheon. I always read it as Bear-a-theon (like the character Theon, the-on). Daenerys was Day-neer-eez (long e). I pronounced all the Targaryen names with long e's. Air-ezz, Vis-er-ezz etc. Still do with alot of them sometimes, except Dany's. Targaryen was Tar-gar-yen. Which when said aloud sounds like Tar-gary-en. Similar to Arya in that way. In my head I can say Arya, but when I say it aloud it sounds like Aria.

Some misspronunciations I still use.

Catelyn. I pronounce it like the name in this world. I have a friend named Katelyn, and everyone spells that name differently, so why not? I still hear it that way.

Cersei. I pronounce as something like sear-say. The sear rhyming with bear. I've heard it this way in the show.

Tyrell was always Tie-rell. The way Loras says it in the show bugs the crap out of me. Tyrull. Ugh. I can deal with the Tyr being pronounced like in Tyrion as long as the rell is the stressed. TyrELL.

I am well aware that Damphair is probably meant to be Damp-hair, but it looks like Dam-fair, so that is how I hear it in my head. I've tried to change, haha.

Names like Sansa and Targaryen I say right for the most part. Except the "a" are pronounced americanized.

LOL. Basically, everybody says things different. Just look at Maester. I say may-ster. A near equal number would say my-ster. They even switch between them in the show.

Archived