Ned Stark vs. Jamie Lannister

Lion of Judah

By no means an automatic victory but it still gives Ned a counterbalance against Jaime's natural skill. Let's say Ned manages to shatter Jaime's blade as they trade blows. What then? There are always factors to consider in a duel aside from who has the best technique.

"The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet." Barring something bizarre happening Ned loses.

One of them protected his sister's child, the other fathered his sister's children..

One cared and started a war for his sister, the other one banged her sister..

One cared and protected his children, the other one cared his son less than his hand..

In Martinworld bad ones win.. So Jaime would win...

You think Oberyn wouldn't have fought Jaime with a poisoned blade?

He might have!We dont know for sure if Oberyn always fought with a poisoned blade. Gregor is a special case, he wanted him to die slowly and in pain. Im pretty sure though Jaime is a better horseman and better with a sword

I heard on the grapevine (i.e. Youtube) that GRRM himself wrote the fight between Ned & Jaime because he wanted to showcase how Ned's battle-hardened skillz would make him a match for Jaime.

Anyone want to confirm or call bullshits on this?

I just did a quick check on the Ned/Jaime confrontation after Ned left the brothel. The odds were 20 on 3 against Ned. If Jaime was so confident and/or dismissive of Ned's abilities, why did he need so many men?

Sending a message. He wanted to intimidate Ned, not kill him. A show of power is better the more men you have with you i would think

I heard on the grapevine (i.e. Youtube) that GRRM himself wrote the fight between Ned & Jaime because he wanted to showcase how Ned's battle-hardened skillz would make him a match for Jaime.

Anyone want to confirm or call bullshits on this?

Bull id say

` Ned is my main man and I consider myself a Nedhead. However, in a one-on-one fight Ned wouldn't last too long against Jaime. I do think Jaime had a healthy respect for Ned the Lord of Winterfell and all the power that comes with it. And Ned obviously wasn't intimidated by Jaime. As I stated before, the Westerosi noblemen seem to be a very brave bunch, by and large.

• 1 year later...

Eddard is a seasoned commander and a excellent military strategist

I know this post is old but since people are bumping the thread why does everyone say this?

Seasoned commander I can understand, being an overlord with lots of retainers and a commander in two wars.

But a lot of people seem to say the latter as well and I just don't get it.

LoL

Jaime is a fake

NED would have destroyed Jaime

Ah, yes. Jaime "the fake" who cut through Eddard Karstark, Torrhen Karstark and Daryn Hornwood like a hot knife through butter, went toe to toe with the Smiling Knight at 15, and, after a year of being imprisoned, and with his hands tied, was too fast for Brienne to hold him off for long.

I think there are different situations that would determine the outcome. If it was just a tourney melee or single combat Ned would get destroyed. But if he was fighting for say Lyanna like at ToJ I'd say he could do pretty well since he's fighting for someone he loves

jamie takes this but ned would prob give him some trouble beforehand

Ned is quite humble so prob wouldnt big up his skill

we know he told jon a correct piece of advice about sparring with the toughest guys to prepare urself.

Ned we know spent his childhood sparring with robert and brandon both larger and noted warriors plus we know he recently had been sparring with bronze royce , we know royce knocked him down a few times but thats gonna happen with a bigger man whols talented and prefers a mace.

Overall jamie has this but ned can prob survive longer than most

Look as much as I'm a fan of Ned and his exploits in Robs rebellion there's a rather simple way of working these things out,for those that think Ned could win just ask yourself how many times in the books is he mentioned as being one of the top fighters of Westeros?i can't think of any.

Jamie on the other hand was mentioned by Barristan as being the finest swordsman he's seen so there just isn't any contest really as skill will always outdo bravery I'd say.

Even though it is stated that Ned was not an exceptional sword he did survive the rebellion and tower of joy without known injuries (or am i mistaken?). That should mean something. If you then put Ice in the man's hand....

I always thought the "average swordsman" thing as a bit strange.

Jaime, if Howland Reed isn't around during the match.

Archived