Tyrion Lannister, Hand of the King/Power Drunkard

Mulled Wino

Man talk about power going to your head. He's just a few examples of why Tyrion would likely be a Questionable king.

I was always a little put off by Tyrion being all pissed when Tywin rescued the city and took his rightful position as Kings hand, but I had forgotten all the little signs of what a entitled brat Tyrion was becoming. A few examples:

"Tyrion looked down on them all, and found he liked it."

The way Tyrion treats Ser Allister. Sure Allister's a cawk, but its not like Mormont would send him with a fake tale of dead men rising. So Tyrion gives him the pick of empty dungeons and publicly mocks Thorne. He could have actually given him some help to recruit in the city besides just telling Thorne to go find people. He disrespected Mormont, Jon, Aemon and the rest of the men he befriended at the wall.

He starts noticing dumb stuff like Cleos going bald once he got a little public power.

The crap he pulled with Pycelle was another error. Once he found out Pycelle was a rat, AND that he was a major pawn for house Lannister, he erred throwing him in the black cells. An example of him getting overconfident. He was clearly his fathers creature and the sin of spying for Cersei was nothing compared to all the help he had given house Lannister.

Though I do follow where you are going with Thorne, I just think if the hand was actually presented to the small council the fight against the others would be...well too easy.

Not sure where you're going, but Im not saying he should have been a hero and sent the redcloaks, but some effort would have been nice. I knkw its wartime.

Wasn't he sent to KL to get more men, who actually know how to fight. Which I assume he would have had to have a meeting with the council.

He was sent for that, but the nw makes use of any man (i bet they do). More numbers the better.

And tyrion did a whole bunch of shit that theoretically would have needed council approval.

He was sent for that, but the nw makes use of any man (i bet they do). More numbers the better.

And tyrion did a whole bunch of shit that theoretically would have needed council approval.

I was just saying that for the story, particularly Jons this was what needed to be done. And I just think that Tyrion didn't particularly like the man possibly because he was a dick. I do agree however, there was no need to mock the man in front of everyone. I think the power did get to him there

I thought the Pycelle thing was really nasty, and even though Janos slynt was a total jerk, I don't know that it was a good move to dump him either (there may be some nuance to that situation that I am forgetting though). You don't hold onto power by crapping on the people who help your family, whether you like them or not. I get that he thought they were too close to Cercei, but like it or not, he and Cercei were technically on the same side. I also thought the move he pulled with Tommen was a bit over-the-top. And as despicable as Joffrey was, I'm not sure it was a good idea to be so openly disrespectful to him either - a little honey instead of vinegar might have been more effective.

I was just saying that for the story, particularly Jons this was what needed to be done. And I just think that Tyrion didn't particularly like the man possibly because he was a dick

He was a cawk for sure, I loved when Tyrion said something like "beware or I'll attack you with crab crakers again".

I thought the Pycelle thing was really nasty, and even though Janos slynt was a total jerk, I don't know that it was a good move to dump him either (there may be some nuance to that situation that I am forgetting though). You don't hold onto power by crapping on the people who help your family, whether you like them or not. I get that he thought they were too close to Cercei, but like it or not, he and Cercei were technically on the same side. I also thought the move he pulled with Tommen was a bit over-the-top. And as despicable as Joffrey was, I'm not sure it was a good idea to be so openly disrespectful to him either - a little honey instead of vinegar might have been more effective.

Agreed, Pycelle didn't deserve what he got. But Tyrion just wanted control of the gold cloaks because for whatever reason he doesn't trust Cersei.

Your thread is the first one I've seen that's actually negative concerning Tyrion. This actually pleases me, because he's not really a favorite character of mine, and like E-Ro, I don't understand the love he engenders from fans. I get the sense that simply because he's a dwarf, I should love him.

Tyrion's interactions with others don't seem strange to me. I think he does a lot of the sarcasm and dismissiveness as a defense mechanism, or as revenge, in Ser Alliser's case. Tyrion naturally has a soft spot for those (like Jon Snow) whom he sees as outside society's acceptance, but his constant self pity works my last nerve. And his belief that he deserves respect, beautiful women, and power is a huge yuk as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't call him an "entitled brat," he did a lot of things right, but he definitely created some of what lead to his downfall.

When Tyrion first came to KL, he seemed like everything Eddard Stark wasn't. Ned felt like a fish out of water right from the get-go. Ultimately, he wasn't stupid, he figured out a lot, but he wasn't cunning like Cersei, Littlefinger, or Varys. We all know what happened to him. Tyrion by contrast felt completely at home figuring things out at KL, cleaning up others' messes and sussing out others' loyalties. But he got overconfident. Bringing Shae to KL was a huge risk, making her Sansa's maid was a blunder. His misapprehensions about Shae and Bronn's loyality to him as his lover and friend/right-hand man, respectively, followed along with that. He openly threatened King Joffrey, he made threats against Tommen, and seemed to worry that he'd be forced to carry out these threats (indicating that they weren't bluffs)...this is where he began to make blunders that would come back to bite him. Ultimately, he failed just like Ned Stark. Again, he did a lot of things right, and actually started off very well, but like everyone in this series who tries to lead, his personality engineers his eventual failure.

His thoughts about Tommen during his first POV chapter were very disturbing to me. He was glad that Cersei had gotten Tommen back because he rather liked his nephew and would have had to come through on his thread because othewise Cersei would win.

It was actually pretty stupid of him to to keep baiting Joffrey which Tyrion even admits to himself in Storm when he realizes that he isn't going to be able to protect Sansa from him either.

Your thread is the first one I've seen that's actually negative concerning Tyrion. This actually pleases me, because he's not really a favorite character of mine, and like E-Ro, I don't understand the love he engenders from fans. I get the sense that simply because he's a dwarf, I should love him.

Tyrion's interactions with others don't seem strange to me. I think he does a lot of the sarcasm and dismissiveness as a defense mechanism, or as revenge, in Ser Alliser's case. Tyrion naturally has a soft spot for those (like Jon Snow) whom he sees as outside society's acceptance, but his constant self pity works my last nerve. And his belief that he deserves respect, beautiful women, and power is a huge yuk as far as I'm concerned.

It's the first one I've ever seen him. I think his wit has something to do with his popularity but I personally can't stand it. I think he uses humor as a form of cruelty which I don't enjoy.

His thoughts about Tommen during his first POV chapter were very disturbing to me. He was glad that Cersei had gotten Tommen back because he rather liked his nephew and would have had to come through on his thread because othewise Cersei would win.

It was actually pretty stupid of him to to keep baiting Joffrey which Tyrion even admits to himself in Storm when he realizes that he isn't going to be able to protect Sansa from him either.

It's the first one I've ever seen him. I think his wit has something to do with his popularity but I personally can't stand it. I think he uses humor as a form of cruelty which I don't enjoy.

Wouldn't you enjoy a thread about why fans should NOT love Tyrion, and should root for Cersei, Sansa and Brienne? :D

Man talk about power going to your head. He's just a few examples of why Tyrion would likely be a Questionable king.

I was always a little put off by Tyrion being all pissed when Tywin rescued the city and took his rightful position as Kings hand, but I had forgotten all the little signs of what a entitled brat Tyrion was becoming. A few examples:

"Tyrion looked down on them all, and found he liked it."

The way Tyrion treats Ser Allister. Sure Allister's a cawk, but its not like Mormont would send him with a fake tale of dead men rising. So Tyrion gives him the pick of empty dungeons and publicly mocks Thorne. He could have actually given him some help to recruit in the city besides just telling Thorne to go find people. He disrespected Mormont, Jon, Aemon and the rest of the men he befriended at the wall.

He starts noticing dumb stuff like Cleos going bald once he got a little public power.

The crap he pulled with Pycelle was another error. Once he found out Pycelle was a rat, AND that he was a major pawn for house Lannister, he erred throwing him in the black cells. An example of him getting overconfident. He was clearly his fathers creature and the sin of spying for Cersei was nothing compared to all the help he had given house Lannister.

You're reaching in some areas but yeah he definitely enjoyed the game and the power that came with it.

Though I don't think his initial intentions were anything more than trying to be an effective ruler.

"He says something along the lines of "I'm going to do the unexpected, Justice"

I think that's ultimately what he was trying to bring to KL.

Tyrion and his family are almost two different entities. One would think the Lannisters should be on the same side but Tywin realized Cersei and Joffrey were incapable of ruling the kingdom. So while it would have been beneficial for himself to just go with the flow and enjoy the perks of being kings hand, he is forced to wrestle control away from his sister. Pycelle, Janos, and the likes was an attempt to gain control in order to rule the kingdom.

His style is a little in your face and cynical but he is one of the only men at court who refuses to let Joffrey run rough shod for me that's a plus.

I must be alone in the opinion that i think Pycelle had it coming. He was a simpering yes-man and that was annoying. But that business DID end up biting Tyrion square on the hindquarters. The only thing that really bugged me about Tyrion's arc as Hand was the Shae business. That was just...so freaking dumb. (Gawd i hated Shae...)

Also his whole admitting he killed Joffery...uhmmm...no man, you really didnt. Why does he keep saying he did?

Wouldn't you enjoy a thread about why fans should NOT love Tyrion, and should root for Cersei, Sansa and Brienne? :D

Hmmm, you throw Catelyn in there and I don't think you could hold me back. :laugh:

Tyrion and his family are almost two different entities. One would think the Lannisters should be on the same side but Tywin realized Cersei and Joffrey were incapable of ruling the kingdom.

Tyrion and his family? I dunno. Tyrion may not have gotten along with his sister and his nephew but he consistently pushed the Lannister interests. To me, Tyrion's moral compass leads straight to Casterly Rock.

Archived