Tyrion Lannister, Hand of the King/Power Drunkard

Mulled Wino

We seem to have plenty of those sweetheart. Look at the responses on the thread so far.

You need to send me flowers or candy if you want to call me sweetheart. :)

I have to ask bc it's been driving me nuts. Is that McGyver in your avatar?

I must be alone in the opinion that i think Pycelle had it coming. He was a simpering yes-man and that was annoying. But that business DID end up biting Tyrion square on the hindquarters. The only thing that really bugged me about Tyrion's arc as Hand was the Shae business. That was just...so freaking dumb. (Gawd i hated Shae...)

Also his whole admitting he killed Joffery...uhmmm...no man, you really didnt. Why does he keep saying he did?

Maybe he doesn't think it really matters because everyone already thinks he killed Joffrey. Maybe he wants to take credit for it because he actually wishes he HAD killed him. Maybe he wants the credit because he wants that "monster" persona. Or, maybe, he actually does believe he did it. It's actually a common phenomenon for people to confess to things they didn't really do. There's a really interesting article on The Economist about it: http://www.economist.com/node/21525840

I was thinking maybe its because he wants credit for it since he never gets credit for anything. Still...its hella weird because he tried to prove he didnt. (Lady Lea, your avatar is great!)

Thank you, Florina <3 I got it in an LJ comm

Liked his treatment of Pycelle and Slant. Did a lot of favorable acts in my opinion. But of course, some very unsavory deeds as well. The threats against Tommen were messed up, especially when he considers how bad he would feel having to go through with it (implying he would). Can't blame him in his battle against Cersei, she probably would've jumped at the opportunity to have him killed if it weren't for his own guards and his father's consent to his rule. And the text is pretty clear that, along with Tywin, Cersei has always hated Tyrion for being a dwarf and his birth killing his mother.

The way Tyrion treats Ser Allister. Sure Allister's a cawk, but its not like Mormont would send him with a fake tale of dead men rising. So Tyrion gives him the pick of empty dungeons and publicly mocks Thorne. He could have actually given him some help to recruit in the city besides just telling Thorne to go find people. He disrespected Mormont, Jon, Aemon and the rest of the men he befriended at the wall.

I think you've completely misunderstood what happened between Tyrion and Thorne, in almost the exact same way that Alliser himself misunderstood.

The Iron Throne could not be seen to be chasing after wild tales of dead men rising while the city was under threat of attack and there were no people in the dunegons to give to Alliser. Tyrion mocked him in court true, and then he let it be known throughout the city that the Nightswatch would take volunteers and provide food and shelter for them.

In a city that was already suffering from starvation due to the war, this meant that large amounts of the smallfolk would be more then eager to join the Nightswatch and get a garanteed meal and roof.

Tyrion himself thinks this while he says it and Varys even congratulates Tyrion on his handling of the situation afterwards.

Maybe he doesn't think it really matters because everyone already thinks he killed Joffrey. Maybe he wants to take credit for it because he actually wishes he HAD killed him. Maybe he wants the credit because he wants that "monster" persona. Or, maybe, he actually does believe he did it. It's actually a common phenomenon for people to confess to things they didn't really do. There's a really interesting article on The Economist about it: http://www.economist.com/node/21525840

I think when he first says it to Jamie it's to hurt him as Jamie just revealed the Tysha business. After that he seems resigned to the fact that the world will view him as a Kinslayer so what's the point of trying to convince people something different.

I think Tyrion just wanted to hurt Jaime by saying he killed Joffrey. When he says it to others, I'm inclined to believe it's his way-unchecked desire for self-destruction.

When Tyrion let his emotions overcome his reason, he and I were pretty much through. I'm not sure what could happen for me to think that he's earned redemption.

I think you've completely misunderstood what happened between Tyrion and Thorne, in almost the exact same way that Alliser himself misunderstood.

The Iron Throne could not be seen to be chasing after wild tales of dead men rising while the city was under threat of attack and there were no people in the dunegons to give to Alliser. Tyrion mocked him in court true, and then he let it be known throughout the city that the Nightswatch would take volunteers and provide food and shelter for them.

In a city that was already suffering from starvation due to the war, this meant that large amounts of the smallfolk would be more then eager to join the Nightswatch and get a garanteed meal and roof.

Tyrion himself thinks this while he says it and Varys even congratulates Tyrion on his handling of the situation afterwards.

+1

I was thinking maybe its because he wants credit for it since he never gets credit for anything. Still...its hella weird because he tried to prove he didnt. (Lady Lea, your avatar is great!)

It's not rational, in ADWD Tyrion was a mess. He walked into KL believing he'll heal the realm, and be recognized for a hero for it by Tywin etc. Instead, he was falsely accused of kinslaying and Kingslaying. Everyone, Tywin, Cersei, and even decent people like Kevan believed the lie, which was built for the most part on character assassination. Shae and Bronn betrayed and abandoned him. He lost everything he ever had.

So, understandibly, he's very jaded in ADWD. And beneath all that braavado and cynicism, there's a lot of self-hatred. Deep down inside he hates himself for killing Shae, and perhaps his own father too. His "confessions" - I killed my mother, my father, my lover...I want to kill my brother and rape and kill my sister - are challenges to others to see him as something other than what he thinks they're inclined to believe anyway. Even with the bedslaves and whores in ADWD, he tries to be as disgusting as possibly, and when they appear repulsed, he makes sure he beds them so that they hate him just as much as he hates himself.

Even with the bedslaves and whores in ADWD, he tries to be as disgusting as possibly, and when they appear repulsed, he makes sure he beds them so that they hate him just as much as he hates himself.

I thought he just did that because he was an ass.

It's not rational, in ADWD Tyrion was a mess. He walked into KL believing he'll heal the realm, and be recognized for a hero for it by Tywin etc. Instead, he was falsely accused of kinslaying and Kingslaying. Everyone, Tywin, Cersei, and even decent people like Kevan believed the lie, which was built for the most part on character assassination. Shae and Bronn betrayed and abandoned him. He lost everything he ever had.

So, understandibly, he's very jaded in ADWD. And beneath all that braavado and cynicism, there's a lot of self-hatred. Deep down inside he hates himself for killing Shae, and perhaps his own father too. His "confessions" - I killed my mother, my father, my lover...I want to kill my brother and rape and kill my sister - are challenges to others to see him as something other than what he thinks they're inclined to believe anyway. Even with the bedslaves and whores in ADWD, he tries to be as disgusting as possibly, and when they appear repulsed, he makes sure he beds them so that they hate him just as much as he hates himself.

Best answer. Yeah yer probably right. In fact, it makes a lot of sense.

I'm out of likes, dang it. I like this!!!!

:) I thought you might like it.

I think he knows he didn't do it. He originally told it to Jaime in order to hurt him. Then, in Dance he says it as part of his effort to embrace the monster inside him. I think that's his whole arc in Dance. It remains to be seen, IMO, whether he will do that or cast it aside. Personally, I think he may embrace the monster to some degree as foreshadowed when he killed his father. It was a kill the father, become the father moment for him.

hahaha ;)

Nope, it's Gannicus

And who is that? The picture looks vaguely familiar to me but I can't place it.

Tyrion clearly let the power go to his head but which of us could honestly say that if we were put in that position we would not react the same way? That's part of what makes him a likeable, human character. Besides, it only went to his head because he was actually doing a great job and felt he deserved recognition for it. Since the small folk weren't giving it to him, he gave it to himself.

Out of curiosity, how would you prefer he reacted to being made hand of the king and making all the right choices to defend King's Landing?

I could really get behind the idea that he got drunk on power but this thread quickly devolved into an "I don't like Tyrion" thread. To insinuate that the only reason anyone would like him is because he is a dwarf, is absurd. Remember, he single handedly saved King's Landing by buying enough time for Tywin and Highgarden to arrive. Something which he had no knowledge of by the way, which means he was essentially riding towards his death at that point, knowing his side didn't have a chance against all of Stannis' men. I mean everyone has their own opinions, but how anyone can say Tyrion has no likeable qualities baffles me.

I thought he just did that because he was an ass.

This is why I thought he did it as well. He likes sex(who deosnt) but does not seem to understand that he is not attractive to women and its his money they are after. He does not bed them for any other reason then the fact that sex is fun and he is to selfish to care about the poor girl he is raping.

Archived