What are the odds of Sansa and Tyrion ending up together?

Saci Targaryen

This wacky couple intrigues me lately. The idea that BOTH of them could grow up and realize that the resumption of their "on hold" marraige isn't such a bad idea. It might in fact be the thing that allows Tyrion to best LF (as an "out of nowhere" type legal eagle surprise) and it could allow Sansa to escape LF's grip and swing to another branch like a power-wielding tree monkey leaving the nest, which is something the pro-Sansa crowd wants to see her do anyways. The idea is that they'd succeed in forging a new alliance of world powers simply by re-activating the faux alliance that already exists between them and making it real. They'd untwist something twisted. And in the process they'd overcome some of their own psychological hurdles. Cercei & Tywin forced a horrible wedding vow on Sansa. It was a crushing defeat at the time. So what's the most perfect way to turn that into a victory? Claim it as your own and use it to turn things around so their Stark/Lannister union works against Cercei as the instrument of her undoing! (or if Cercei is already gone by this point, then use the marraige to achieve the most truly important thing Sansa could hope to do: forge a new era of peace between the warring families!) I'm just saying, it's sitting right there in front of us as a thing.

I've always wanted that...

You got it. I´d rather not have it again

Such as?

<snip>

"When I was thirteen, I wed a crofter's daughter. Or so I thought her. I was blind with love for her, and thought she felt the same for me, but my father rubbed my face in the truth. My bride was a whore Jaime had hired to give me my first taste of manhood."

And I believed all of it, fool that I was. "To drive the lesson home, Lord Tywin gave my wife to a barracks of his guardsmen to use as they pleased, and commanded me to watch."

And to take her one last time, after the rest were done. one last time, with no trace of love or tenderness remaining. "So you will remember her as she truly is," he said, and I should have defied him, but my cock betrayed me, and I did as I was bid.

"After he was done with her, my father had the marriage undone. It was as if we had never been wed, the septons said."

Clash, Chapter 44 Tyrion.

This was the turning point for me. Up till then I liked Tyrion a lot, probably most.

(I didn´t take his thoughts of raveging the Vale in revenge as an impulse he probably wouldn´t have carried out in the worst form, later I saw that Tyrion, when feeling offended tends to mortal lashes of wrath.)

But participating in a gang rape of a woman he claimed to have loved, even though he was thirteen and forced by his father, is stepping beyond the evil event horizon, in my view. Even with his insecurity his readyness to believe Jaime´s lie and his fathers claim that she was just after his money, this love was just about himself. Had he truly loved Tysha he´d have trusted her. Tyrion never learned to love since, he´s a trainwreck when it comes to relationship with women and I have the feeling that the rest of his social skills isn´t much better he will never trust and always feel hard done by. (Unless, maybe when he sees Jorah´s pathetic inability to see a woman as more than a pretty status symbol that lifts his social status, he will acknowledge these faults and start to work on them.)

ETA: Missing parts.

Yea, I'm currently on my 3rd re-read of the books, and I noticed that since book 1 GRRM strongly hints that they might end up together. I think this was an idea he had in his mind since the very beginning.

I thought the original plan had Sansa dying fairly early on?

In any case, I was very sad when they were separated. They had the whole hate thing going on, but it was because his family and her family had... "disagreements." The two of them were actually a good match - or would have been had they given each other a chance. But since they've been separated, I'd say that it's very unlikely for them to come back together.

Tyrion deserves better.

I totally agree with you. Tyrion deserves someone that would love him and want to spend her life with him. It'd also be great, if he ever is made Lord of CR, that his wife is not a member of the family that ravaged the Westerlands or waged war against the Lannisters too.

That person happens to not be Sansa.

I thought the original plan had Sansa dying fairly early on?

In any case, I was very sad when they were separated. They had the whole hate thing going on, but it was because his family and her family had... "disagreements." The two of them were actually a good match - or would have been had they given each other a chance. But since they've been separated, I'd say that it's very unlikely for them to come back together.

LOL. Understatement of the year. And how can two people be considered a "good match" when Sansa could not bear to even have Tyrion touch her? Come on now...

This wacky couple intrigues me lately. The idea that BOTH of them could grow up and realize that the resumption of their "on hold" marraige isn't such a bad idea. It might in fact be the thing that allows Tyrion to best LF (as an "out of nowhere" type legal eagle surprise) and it could allow Sansa to escape LF's grip and swing to another branch like a power-wielding tree monkey leaving the nest, which is something the pro-Sansa crowd wants to see her do anyways. The idea is that they'd succeed in forging a new alliance of world powers simply by re-activating the faux alliance that already exists between them and making it real. They'd untwist something twisted. And in the process they'd overcome some of their own psychological hurdles. Cercei & Tywin forced a horrible wedding vow on Sansa. It was a crushing defeat at the time. So what's the most perfect way to turn that into a victory? Claim it as your own and use it to turn things around so their Stark/Lannister union works against Cercei as the instrument of her undoing! (or if Cercei is already gone by this point, then use the marraige to achieve the most truly important thing Sansa could hope to do: forge a new era of peace between the warring families!) I'm just saying, it's sitting right there in front of us as a thing.

MOTO, you know I love you, but this above... just no...

And that "everything is wrong" will be exactly the challenge for the author. Since when has Martin been afraid to present a demanding plot to his readers?

I never said he isnt capable. I dont want to see it, But if he pulled it off and it didnt come across as far fetched as tyrions story so far, id be even more impressed (if possible).

Sansa has been through quite a bit. Her views on knighthood and chivalry came crashing down, and then she was put under psychological torture, forced to lie and denounce her family, and is now in the hands of the schemer who caused her family's downfall to begin with. I want her to marry the white knight she's always dreamed of dammit!

Nice illustration. Terrible combination.

I'd rather see one or both die in the prologue of TWOW than remain together.

And that concludes my contribution to this week's "Tyrion + Sansa 4Ever" thread.

I would rather see sansa with Jon Snow - an idea I find totally repulsive because they grew up as brother and sister - than with Tyrion!

Archived