"ASoIaF" and "Harry Potter" similarities

Delfinatriz

Hi Everyone,

I just finished reading AFfC, and talking with my boyfriend (who also finished reading it), we started discussing the current history line of ASoIaF vs all that happened in Harry Potter.

THESE ARE THE SIMILARITIES FOUND BETWEEN THE BOOKS:

• THE ONE THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED

In ASoIaF, this entity is "The Other", the God of the winter, that is threatening Westeros and all life known. It's the supreme evil of the story, that will cover the world in an endless night... In Harry Potter, Voldemort is the one that shall not be named, an evil being that threatens all magical world, and will rule once his soul is complete.

• THE SON THAT WAS LIED FOR HIS PROTECTION

Harry was the kid that survived, and lived with a family that kept the truth away of him, and was the one that would save the world... Jon Snow (as the majority of us believe), is the son of L+R, and lived a life of lies, not knowing who his parents really were; he wil definitely get a major part in some future point

• THE HIDDEN MAGIC WORLD

Is kept as a secret both in Harry Potter world and Westeros as well

Think of any other similarity?

DISCLAIMER: I am in favor that these things were first thought by GRRM (except maybe the Voldemort similarity, that one was too Harry Potter style)

Thsank you in advance for the constructive ideas!!

Depending on what you look for I think you can find similarities to quite a few other fantasy stories - and other stories as well. It's not as if Harry Potter was without similarities to earlier stories as well.

The one that must not be named - in Harry Potter it's one person, Voldemort. In ASOIAF it's The Others, which are called so because they are "other", and they are not one either but another type of beings, little of which is known.

"The son that was lied for his protection" - well, what about Luke Skywalker in Star Wars...? Besides, the speculations about Jon are so far just speculations, but in ADWD other interesting facts are revealed about totally different characters. (I wouldn't call that a spoiler so I don't mark it as such).

Magic swords etc - well, this part goes right back to the King Arthur legend so I wouldn't precisely call it an original idea of Ms Rowling...

As in every other fantasy story - which I'd call ASOIAF despite the magical parts being considerably downplayed compared to other "worlds" - comparisons to "The Original", i.e. Tolkien, are inevitable. Quite a few references might be found, with in my view the mythical Children of the Forest being the closest similarities to the Elves of Tolkien. The Others might be Nazgûl even if the reference is not totally correct, the wights are wights of course and so on.

Well HP is definitely for kids or "young adult" ASOIAF is for grown ups (but i wouldnt pull it out of a kid's hands.)

I think the main difference is that HP has this traditional hero structure where the books are always about Harry Potter, but in ASOIAF there are many different characters and the story is all told in different viewpoints so we really cannot tell who the "main" character is. I think by the end of the books we will know whose story ASOIAF is, and which were more subplots and antagonists, but until then not sure.

I love Harry Potter too and these are the similarities I came up with:

-talking giants

-wolves are not evil

-birds carrying letters

-most handsomest/misunderstood/redeemable character has a nickname/special connection with Dogs

-the meanest dragons are black

You know, it's not a very long list, actually.

I love both series' but the similarities are only there because with so many stories out there everything is going to have been done more than once. They're really nothing a like.

Magic isn't really kept secret in Westeros, is it? Everybody seems to believe it existed at some point, even if they've never seen it themselves -- and they mostly seem hardly unwilling to believe it if they do see it.

Is Jaime Lannister evil? Is Severus Snape Evil?

The prince that was promised = Jon Snow? The chosen one = Harry Potter?

The wise men that know all = Albus Dumbledore and Howland Reed?

Other than these three can not think of much else? Yes they are completely different

i have never read Harry Potter. I know that sounds crazy. But is it really worth reading?

It's really good and even though the books are long, you can probably finish one in less than a week. Though coming off of ASOIAF it feels more cheesy and far less dramatic; remember it's for 11-17 age group. One interesting thing about it is Harry Potter's personality development as he ages (he's a royal brat at 15, IMO.) The characters behave more true to their age than the Stark kids. There are some great twists but it doesn't challenge your brain as much as ASOIAF. But it's very creative and one of the fun things about it is asking yourself which house you'd be in and stuff like that (I'm Slytherin :smug:)

I mean, it is the most read book in the world not counting the Bible and China's required reading Little Red Book. Something must be good about it.

Come to think of it, I found another similarity to Star Wars. Yezzan zo Qaggaz, the wealthy slave trader from Yunkai, definitely reminds me of Jabba the Hutt the way he's described :drunk:

(Yes, I know he's mainly featured in ADWD so sorry for that minor spoiler here, but I can't seem to get how to mark a line a spoiler...)

Harry Potter is a great series, don't think it's not, but since its target is the 12-20 age group, the twists, the plot, the writing, is all aimed at that age group. Adults reading it might not like it as much. ASOIAF is for adults, teenagers would struggle to appreciate GRRM's masterpiece unless they older. That's the difference.

I never once thought of similarities between the two. With a long stretch maybe...The things you point out are different to me. I rather think the magic in the world of ASOIAF was always there (it only weakened with the last dragons but they have returned and the others have always been there as well etc...) It's just that not seeing it often enough made people lose faith in its existence, but it not hidden either i reckon.

It's not like in HP where the magic world is an entire community of wizards who live in their own way unbeknownt to the muggles.

I grew up with the HP book series, but I also don't see its similarities to ASOIAF (story-wise) .. It would be a long stretch.

The only thing I can think of is that my top 3 favorite characters in HP died before the series was finished, & it's pretty likely that my top 3 favorites in ASOIAF will die too. :dunce: Leeeeave my favorites alooooone!

There is one bloody similarity.- JK Rowling and GRRM are always killing off my favorite characters!

Seven hells and bloody hell for that! -.-"

There is one bloody similarity.- JK Rowling and GRRM are always killing off my favorite characters!

Seven hells and bloody hell for that! -.-"

Oh c'mon! Sirius and Dumbledore's deaths were expected. Harry had to lose his "protectors" at some point. It was obvious even when i was 15.

Archived