GRRM Bloopers

Sitian Zhang

I know that everyone here is in love with the work of GRRM because well...you're all here. Anyhow, despite his literary prowess, ASOIF is such a massive detailed work that there must be mistakes in the details. For example in AGOT, in the first Catelyn, Ned mentions that the last time he saw Tommen, he was at "the Lannister woman's tit". Tommen was then seven. In a later Ned chapter, Ned states that he had not seen Robert in 9 years. I doubt that Ned would see Cersei without Robert being around. Also, considering the significance of these times, I doubt it was caused by a character's memory lapse. So, I suppose it must be an author's mistake. Any others that you guys can think of?

I know that everyone here is in love with the work of GRRM because well...you're all here. Anyhow, despite his literary prowess, ASOIF is such a massive detailed work that there must be mistakes in the details. For example in AGOT, in the first Catelyn, Ned mentions that the last time he saw Tommen, he was at "the Lannister woman's tit". Tommen was then seven. In a later Ned chapter, Ned states that he had not seen Robert in 9 years. I doubt that Ned would see Cersei without Robert being around. Also, considering the significance of these times, I doubt it was caused by a character's memory lapse. So, I suppose it must be an author's mistake. Any others that you guys can think of?

maybe Robert had a cold....

I believe that the general explaination/excuse for this "blooper" is that perhaps Ned went to Riverrun to visit his in-laws and on the way he ran into Cersei who was travelling with her children to or from Casterly Rock. Something like that anyway. I don't really see it as a big deal. We don't get a detailed inventory of every action every character has ever done. It is entirely possible that Ned ran into Cersei and not Robert at some stage. Use your imagination.

Renly's eyes go from green to blue. Also, when Joffrey sends out the Westerosi equivalent of spam mail - a massive volley of summonses to court to pledge fealty to the new king, he summons all the notables (ncluding Lady Whent of Harrenhal) and their heirs but puzzlingly Prince Doran and "all his sons."

Also, when Joffrey sends out the Westerosi equivalent of spam mail - a massive volley of summonses to court to pledge fealty to the new king, he summons all the notables (ncluding Lady Whent of Harrenhal) and their heirs but puzzlingly Prince Doran and "all his sons."

Doran has at least two sons. Are we sure none of the children at the Water Gardens are his bastard sons? Is Joffrey?

The rest of this is, I thnk, just showing the arrogance/ignorance of the Lannisters - women don't count for them, so they don't even think about counting them for the Martells, despite the cultural differences.

the badge of office for Hand of the king changes to a chain of golden hands with no explanation whatsoever

Different Hand, different Badge.

Continuity is a bitch, and so is proof-reading.

You would think that the publishers would be extra careful with very popular books because it's certain there will be an online community to pick out every single inconsistency.

Yeah, but at the same I time I bet they're eager to get the books out and rake in the money those fans spend on them...

In one of Sansa chapters (GoT page 745), when they come for her after Ned's execution, Meryn Trant is described as having a "tall helm with a golden sunburst crest". Where did the sunburst crest come from? It is certainly not his house sigil, hard as that may be to fit on a helmet, and IIRC it doesnt get mentioned anywhere else then here. Was it a mistake from Martin? Did he intend to have Trant originate from Dorne, which might explain the sun, and later had a change of heart? Was it just for the decorative aspect, which doesnt really suit the Kingsguard..

Not a blooper, but I privately view A Song of Ice and Fire as an example of Alliteration Gone Mad.

The amount of alliteration in character names, place names, event names and general dialogue and prose is mind blowing.

It seems to be a pet technique of Martin's that he uses for effect, but hell, I've never seen it used so liberally.

Archived