GRRM Bloopers

Sitian Zhang

I don't care for such errors, the books are so great that their merits outweigh such things, and they don't really matter and don't help us to appreciate the books better.

But one of these mistakes could be actually foreshadowing!

IIRC Cercei addressed to Lancel once as her nephew instead of a cousin...

That's funny, Tyrion makes that same mistake in CoK, I think. I remember because I'm terrible with names and had just foolishly thought I had the Lannister family tree mapped out in my head when he said that. That was the moment when I went like: "What? How many more siblings do you have? Is Lancel Jaime's bastard or something? Why won't you Lannisters stop inbreeding, it's confusing."

Not a blooper, but I privately view A Song of Ice and Fire as an example of Alliteration Gone Mad.

The amount of alliteration in character names, place names, event names and general dialogue and prose is mind blowing.

It seems to be a pet technique of Martin's that he uses for effect, but hell, I've never seen it used so liberally.

Ahah! Alliteration always amuses and amazes as anyone ably attests assiduously!

Jaime cups his hands to shout at Harrenhal despite there having been a rather important plot point somewhat recently making this somewhat difficult.

Same chapter actually, he manages to moan about being dressed as a knight complete with sword and dagger on his belt and then the next day jumps into a bear pit completely unarmed.

Spelling mistakes etc. with names don't bother me, easy enough to do, but how could neither Brienne or Jaime notice he has a ruddy great sword hanging off him? Always kinda ruined the moment.

People quite often make this kind of mistake IRL, a book character could also do such a thing.

Actually, it was Kevan who said it to her when he was yelling at Cersei about seducing Lancel. You would expect the boy's own father to know the relationship....

Agree with this thread completely. GRRM needs a strong editor and a character database.

the badge of office for Hand of the king changes to a chain of golden hands with no explanation whatsoever

Tyrion ordered the chain when he came to KL as temp Hand. He was very annoyed after the Blackwater when he woke up and found that Tywin had taken the chain. I remember thinking that it was immature of him to forget that he was only temp Hand and it was perfectly reasonable for Tywin to take up the position upon his arrival at KL.

I don't care for such errors, the books are so great that their merits outweigh such things, and they don't really matter and don't help us to appreciate the books better.

Neither do I care much for the errors but its FUN seeing what people can come up with.

Jaime cups his hands to shout at Harrenhal despite there having been a rather important plot point somewhat recently making this somewhat difficult.

Same chapter actually, he manages to moan about being dressed as a knight complete with sword and dagger on his belt and then the next day jumps into a bear pit completely unarmed.

Spelling mistakes etc. with names don't bother me, easy enough to do, but how could neither Brienne or Jaime notice he has a ruddy great sword hanging off him? Always kinda ruined the moment.

This last one is INSANE. I never noticed it, but looked for re-reading the Jaime POVs in ASOS and I can't believe they missed that. He had a sword and a dagger!

I've got two.

First. When Dany emerged from the pyre, she was bald. The night before she arrived in Qarth, her hair was just starting to come back in. The little hair she had, most likely burned I'm the house of the undying. After she emerged from the house of the undying, Jhiqui braided her hair in the Dothraki fashion and fastened a silver bell to the end of the braid. Even if her little amount of hair wasn't burned off again, there is no way it was long enough for a braid.

Second. When Jon climbs the wall with the wildlings. They find the ruined village where Bran was hiding fifty leagues from the wall. If my understanding is correct, one league is three miles. So for some reason, the wildlings came 150 miles (On foot) past the wall, just to double back to attack castle black. Seems like overkill if they were trying to go undetected. 10 or 20 miles should have sufficed.

Actually, it was Kevan who said it to her when he was yelling at Cersei about seducing Lancel. You would expect the boy's own father to know the relationship....

Agree with this thread completely. GRRM needs a strong editor and a character database.

Tyrion ordered the chain when he came to KL as temp Hand. He was very annoyed after the Blackwater when he woke up and found that Tywin had taken the chain. I remember thinking that it was immature of him to forget that he was only temp Hand and it was perfectly reasonable for Tywin to take up the position upon his arrival at KL.

I'm not certain but he might edit himself. He is very and usually justifiably Arrog.......Confident in his writing ability. I overlook the few mistakes he makes because his descriptions are remarkable. He deserves the occasional break.

Second. When Jon climbs the wall with the wildlings. They find the ruined village where Bran was hiding fifty leagues from the wall. If my understanding is correct, one league is three miles. So for some reason, the wildlings came 150 miles (On foot) past the wall, just to double back to attack castle black. Seems like overkill if they were trying to go undetected. 10 or 20 miles should have sufficed.

GRRM's distances are all over the place, especially when he talks in leagues. It makes me wince when characters talk casually about "thousands of leagues". Perhaps a Westeros league is actually some fraction of a mile?

Archived