GRRM Bloopers

Sitian Zhang

The waterways of Braavos.

First, Braavos is a bunch of islands clustered in a harbor. Fresh water is piped in from the mainland.

Or...there are rivers merging with the canals - so fresh water should be right there.

Or...the canal water is drinkable with a bit of a boil - even though it is briny. Unless a bit of a boil means a distillery - and then you have the fuel problem.

Marie

I assumed Dalla was Crasters daughter/wife. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he desert because he's not allowed to keep a cloak given to him by a women he met beyond the wall on a ranging? And Craster is mentioned in ACOK of "having no love for Mance", possibly because MAnce took off with his daughter/wife.

The problem is there's no evidence that Dalla is Craster's daughter though...Mance deserts because of a cloak given to him by a woodswitch type character, which as far as we know has nothing to do with Dalla. Mance himself says he met Dalla on the road somewhere (I think on his way back from the Winterfell feast, correct me if I'm wrong), not that he helped her escape from Craster. Anyway, I'd imagine if Dalla was Craster's daughter, Craster would hate Mance a lot more and Mance would certainly kill Craster for raping the girl that he's in love with.

Likewise, if Val is truly Dalla's sister that means both of them are Mance's daughter-wives. Mance would have had to help both of them escape then, which strikes me as even more difficult to pull off and would complicate things even further.

I remain very skeptical that both Dalla and Val are daughters of Craster. Equally as unlikely is Mance being his son, which is impossible based on the timeline- Mance was supposedly rescued by NW Rangers when some wildlings were put to the sword when Mance was a young boy, way too old to be a son of Craster's who would have killed him as a baby once he determined he was a male.

So that leaves either mistake by GRRM (which, come on, that one's pretty ridiculous he should know better) or Unreliable Narration from Sam (who might have heard this from someone else). Yet we have no information that Sam has ever heard such a thing nor do we have any information that this kind of idea was held by anybody.

I also really don't get the argument that Sam is confusing the identity of the baby switch here. He's thinking of the baby's blood, thinking to himself so no need for trickery or anything. He explicitly thinks this baby is related to both Craster and Mance- He's thinking of one baby which he knows was switched, not both of them.

My absolute favorite - altho Jaime's pointy things going away in the Bear Pit could replace it - When Dolorous Edd is boiling eggs for Qhorin Halfhand upon QH's arrival at the Fist, he sprinkles nutmeg in the kettle. I looked and mulled wine was refused and Edd only had one kettle going and he was boiling eggs. Additionally the eggs were still in the shell as QH cracks one later

On the "nephew" thing - I think it has to do with age, really, more than anything. Tyrion is in his late twenties, Jaime and Cersei are 9 years older, almost 40. Lance is what, 16? I think it does make sense that they'd call him their "nephew", sometimes. I do have older cousins I tend to think of as "aunts".

No, Lancel is 18 in ADWD, Cersei and Jaime 33.

Intriguingly, the age difference between the perverted Cersei/ Lancel relationship is nearly the same as that between Jaime and Brienne. Brienne is 19, Jaime 33.

Jaime and Cersei are 33 in AGOT.

Actually, they're 31 in AGOT; 33 at present. (At the end of ADWD.)

We know that the War of the Usurper began 15 years prior to AGOT, and lasted a year (GRRM has said.) (The ages of Jon and Robb, who were conceived at the very start of the war, supports this.) Thus, there has been 14 years since the sack of Kings Landing and the beginning of AGOT.

Robert tells us that when Jaime killed Aerys during the sack of Kings Landing, Jaime was only 17 years old. That was 14 years ago, which would make him and Cersei 31 at the beginning of AGOT; 33 two years later in ADWD.

They are both much closer to 30 than to 40; in their early 30's.

Actually, they're 31 in AGOT; 33 at present. (At the end of ADWD.)

We know that the War of the Usurper began 15 years prior to AGOT, and lasted a year (GRRM has said.) (The ages of Jon and Robb, who were conceived at the very start of the war, supports this.) Thus, there has been 14 years since the sack of Kings Landing and the beginning of AGOT.

Robert tells us that when Jaime killed Aerys during the sack of Kings Landing, Jaime was only 17 years old. That was 14 years ago, which would make him and Cersei 31 at the beginning of AGOT; 33 two years later in ADWD.

They are both much closer to 30 than to 40; in their early 30's.

Here;s my work: Jaime was 17 at Harrenhal which was a year before the end of the war IIRC. The war ended 15 years prior to AGOT, began 16 years ago, which makes Jaime 33.

Robert would be just wrong because Jaime was made part of the KG at Harrenhal, age 17, and as you say the war lasted a year and ended when Jaime killed Aerys.

<sigh> I guess I have to go back and check my references. I'm glad we concur on the duration of the war (and glad GRRM has confirmed it)

Here;s my work: Jaime was 17 at Harrenhal which was a year before the end of the war IIRC. The war ended 15 years prior to AGOT, began 16 years ago, which makes Jaime 33.

<sigh> I guess I have to go back and check my references. I'm glad we concur on the duration of the war (and glad GRRM has confirmed it)

Ned remembers himself being 18 at Harrenhal, and he's 35 in AGOT. Could also be significant when they're born, early or late.

Ned remembers himself being 18 at Harrenhal, and he's 35 in AGOT. Could also be significant when they're born, early or late.

This looks like it has been 17 years since the war began to you? There is name day slop of course. I accept that for a year plus/minus.

This looks like it has been 17 years since the war began to you? There is name day slop of course. I accept that for a year plus/minus.

I've never really thought about how many years its been. Just remembered that Ned was 18 at Harrenhal, and Jaime 17, this means they're either born the same year, or they have a year apart. So we can assume that if Ned was 35 in AGOT, Jaime would be a year younger.

The Wiki has Jaime as a born in 266, if aGot as 1 year, (298), aCoK and aSoS as a 2nd year, (299), and aFFC and aDwD as a 3rd (300)going in to a 4th....makes Jaime 34 or 35 depending on when his nameday is, and what the date is.

The Wiki has Jaime as a born in 266, if aGot as 1 year, (298), aCoK and aSoS as a 2nd year, (299), and aFFC and aDwD as a 3rd (300)going in to a 4th....makes Jaime 34 or 35 depending on when his nameday is, and what the date is.

Then from the wiki, a secondary source, Jaime was 32/33 in AGOT which is fine with my arithmetic. ADWD is by all accounts 2 years ahead of AGOT (Sansa goes from a rather firm 11 to a rather firm 13 for instance) making Cersei and Jaime around 35. They were ahead of Tyrion by 8-9 years IIRC from Oberyn;s account of their visit to Casterly Rock to see the newborn Tyrion among other things. This makes Tyrion 23 - 25 in AGOT.

That wouldnt work. If he is 18 at Harrenhal he would be 34 in AGOT which takes place 15 years after the war ends. 19 + 15 = 34.

If Jaime was 17 at Harrenhal and Ned 18, then how can Jaime be 32/33 in AGOT when Ned was 35?

OK there are ways out with arithmetic I think (early pre-coffee , out of sourleaf) For instance:

At Harrenhal

Jaime 17 yr + x days

Ned 18 yr + (364 - x) days

16 years + x + 1 days pass

Jaime = 33 yr + 2x + 1 day

Ned = 34 + 365 days = 35 exactly

Or perhaps less ridiculous:

Harrenhal

Jaime: 17 yrs 1 months

Ned: 18 yrs 6 month

add 16 yr + 7 month

Jaime 33 yr + 8 month

Ned 35 yr 1 month

Unless I added wrong

My sister and I were 1.4 years apart and some times I was 1 year older and sometimes 2 years older.

Marie

Archived