GRRM Bloopers

Sitian Zhang

Not sure if this counts as a blooper or not, but how exactly did that Direwolf in the first chapter of GOT make it down south? Doesn't the Wall block all land routes? Did someone let it through the gate, or what?

I just started a reread, and that question was kinda bugging me.

No it doesn't. In the map in ADWD the wall terminates at the Gorge. This is the site of the Battle of the Bridge of Skulls. Wildlings have used it to get around the Wall for many many years.

Added: Bran was absent from dinner the night King Robert arrived at Winterfell

• 2 years later...

AFFC - Ch. 32 - Cersei

"Stannis may have had a hand in this. Balon Greyjoy offered my lord father an alliance. Perhaps his son has offered one to Stannis."

Cersei said when discussing the Battle of the Shield Islands with the Small Council. GRRM said Balon's son, the correct word would've been brother, referring Crow's Eye. It's pretty obvious this was not his intent to be Cersei's blooper either, it's most assuredly his. :bawl:

But, we all make mistakes.

AFFC - Ch. 32 - Cersei

"Stannis may have had a hand in this. Balon Greyjoy offered my lord father an alliance. Perhaps his son has offered one to Stannis."

Cersei said when discussing the Battle of the Shield Islands with the Small Council. GRRM said Balon's son, the correct word would've been brother, referring Crow's Eye. It's pretty obvious this was not his intent to be Cersei's blooper either, it's most assuredly his. :bawl:

Are you sure? I always read this as suggesting that Cersei did not pay sufficient attention to material details.

AFFC - Ch. 32 - Cersei

But Balon's son was last heard having taken Winterfell. It's not impossible that she's talking about Theon offering Stannis an alliance. God knows Cersei has no understanding of what's going on behind the scenes in the North culture-wise, she might not understand that Theon is as "cursed" as the Boltons are in the eyes of the Northerners. Hell, sometimes she barely seems to understand King's Landing politics, I'm thinking she doesn't know much about the politics in the North, not that I think she cares either! And at any rate, she doesn't seem to think much of Stannis either, so the thought that Theon and Stannis might be allied wouldn't seem as odd to her as it does to us readers who have far more information about the state of politics in the North than she does (even if she does care which I doubt, I also doubt ravens and other means of information are coming often from the North). If nothing else, it may just be her growing paranoia - seeing alliances where there aren't any.

Or maybe it should have been brother - who knows! I just chalked it up to Cersei's misunderstanding of how the North works/feels and her growing paranoia.

Nah

But Balon's son was last heard having taken Winterfell. It's not impossible that she's talking about Theon offering Stannis an alliance. God knows Cersei has no understanding of what's going on behind the scenes in the North culture-wise, she might not understand that Theon is as "cursed" as the Boltons are in the eyes of the Northerners. Hell, sometimes she barely seems to understand King's Landing politics, I'm thinking she doesn't know much about the politics in the North, not that I think she cares either! And at any rate, she doesn't seem to think much of Stannis either, so the thought that Theon and Stannis might be allied wouldn't seem as odd to her as it does to us readers who have far more information about the state of politics in the North than she does (even if she does care which I doubt, I also doubt ravens and other means of information are coming often from the North). If nothing else, it may just be her growing paranoia - seeing alliances where there aren't any.

Or maybe it should have been brother - who knows! I just chalked it up to Cersei's misunderstanding of how the North works/feels and her growing paranoia.

Nah believe me, it's not that. It was definitely a mistake, the question is, was it Cersei's or martin's?

If you own book 4, re-read the first quarter of chapter 32, you'll see what I mean. Just prior to her saying this, Qyburn informs her that Euron was the new King of the IronBorn and the one whose plot is was in the first place to boldly attack the Reach for the first time since Dagon Greyjoy sat the Seastone chair.

Nah

Nah believe me, it's not that. It was definitely a mistake, the question is, was it Cersei's or martin's?

If you own book 4, re-read the first quarter of chapter 32, you'll see what I mean. Just prior to her saying this, Qyburn informs her that Euron was the new King of the IronBorn and the one whose plot is was in the first place to boldly attack the Reach for the first time since Dagon Greyjoy sat the Seastone chair.

Good point. Could it be Cersei thinking Theon and Euron are "obviously" working together, since they're family? Cersei probably understands Ironborn factions even less than Northern factions. Maybe she's thinking Theon is the go-between for Stannis and Euron, making the "Balon's son" statement correct, but not accurate? Making it a Cersei mistake and not a GRRM mistake. I don't know - I'm just tossing stuff out there! I know GRRM makes mistakes, I'm not disputing that - I'm probably just bored...

In Bran's 1st chapter in Dance Summer finds the dead men, presumably the mutineers from Craster's based on the description of Ollo Lophand. BUT Summer counts 10 and one of the mutineers broke his neck falling out of the loft at Crasters. So are these not the mutineers? Did they pick up another black brother along the way? Or is this an error?

Continuity is a bitch, and so is proof-reading.

You would think that the publishers would be extra careful with very popular books because it's certain there will be an online community to pick out every single inconsistency.

Little errors are difficult to see, especially in major works like this.

I have seen small errors in major academic publications from Oxford and Cambridge as well. It happens.

Archived