Stannis & Dany

Zared

Is it possible that Stannis would give up his claim to the iron throne when and if Dany retuned?

I believe that Stannis has stated that he wasn't in favour of Robert's rebellion, and that it was a very hard decision for him to choose between his king and his brother. He saw it a duty to follow Robert, as he was the younger brother, but I think he still regrets turning against his king.

No matter how mad that king was.

So if Dany comes back to Westeros, would he see her as the rightful known Targ heir, and give up his claim. We know that Stannis as a man with an inflexible sense of duty and justice. So does he still owe his allegiance to the Targs.

Or maybe I’m just been stupid. He is having his head filled by Melisandre that he is Azor Ahai. So why should he care if a Targ returns.

I didn't know he stated that? What I do know is that Davos said something like 'Just as you supported your rightful King during the Rebellion.', after Stannis said that people should support him because he was the rightful King of Westeros. Stannis knows and firmly believes he is the rightful King of the Seven Kingdoms, he states that multiple times and he will definitely not give up his rightful claim when Daenerys comes to Westeros with her dragons.

This could easily turn out into a Stannis/Daenerys-is/isn't-the-rightful-King/Queen-of-the-Seven-Kingdoms-thread.

I don't see why he would, the man firmly believes that he is the rightful king and in his mind (and a lot of the other nobles Dany is just the scion of an exiled house). Nevermind the fact that she plans to bring three nukes to Westeros which will cause untold misery and destruction.

I've only read the books through once, so please correctbme if I'm wrong but as far as I'm aware, Stannis hasn't made any moves towards Dany, has he? We know in ACoK that Robert was actively pushing for Dany's death, but what is Stannis' view? After all, she could easily come back to Westeros one day and take the throne as the rightful heir. Same question goes for Tommen and the small council in KL actually.

I'm undecided but my brother firmly believes that if there's one king who would bend the knee to Dany it is Stannis. He thinks that because Stann is so logical and just and pragmatic he's the kind of man who,if you over ride his logic and convince him he's wrong,would step aside. He also thinks Stan will be her Hand.

I'm undecided but my brother firmly believes that if there's one king who would bend the knee to Dany it is Stannis. He thinks that because Stann is so logical and just and pragmatic he's the kind of man who,if you over ride his logic and convince him he's wrong,would step aside. He also thinks Stan will be her Hand.

The issue with that is Aegon is in Westeros and has a better claim. If Stannis will bend the knee than Aegon is more likely than Dany. Dany is too late.

The dragonspawn were overthrown. Danny lost her claim when Robert sat on the throne, unopposed by anyone. House Baratheon is the ruling house now, so if she wants to sit on the throne, she'll have to start a rebellion of her own. She would be no better than " the usurper " , who she despised. Damn hypocrite...

Stannis is the rightful King, and I'll stand by him no matter what.

Oddly enough, I used to think that Stannis might accept Dany as his queen, should she arrive in Westeros with dragons. Since all he's gone through as AA and his attempts to raise dragons, I'd assume he'd realise he wasn't AA when the live dragons bit him in his proverbial arse. This was before ADWD came out, though. I now think he's too committed to ever relent. He'll die fighting.

I've only read the books through once, so please correctbme if I'm wrong but as far as I'm aware, Stannis hasn't made any moves towards Dany, has he? We know in ACoK that Robert was actively pushing for Dany's death, but what is Stannis' view? After all, she could easily come back to Westeros one day and take the throne as the rightful heir. Same question goes for Tommen and the small council in KL actually.

He wasn't in King's Landing when Robert ordered the 'hit' on Dany, but from his talk with Davos we can infer that he acknowledges that House Targaryen has the superior claim, and that he became a traitor when he chose Robert over Aerys.

The dragonspawn were overthrown. Danny lost her claim when Robert sat on the throne, unopposed by anyone. House Baratheon is the ruling house now, so if she wants to sit on the throne, she'll have to start a rebellion of her own. She would be no better than " the usurper " , who she despised. Damn hypocrite...

Stannis is the rightful King, and I'll stand by him no matter what.

She has sworn no fealty to house baratheon and thus cannot be considered a usurper.

We don't know that yet. It's no coincidence that GRRM has as of yet not let Stannis discuss the still existing Targaryens and their claims. If he had wanted to make it that easy, GRRM would have included a discussion of Viserys's and Daenerys's claims back in the beginning of ACoK. Something like 'The claims of the surviving Targaryens became null and void when my brother took the Iron Throne'.

Since he did not do this, we cannot be certain how he would react when confronted by either Dany's or Aegon's claim. He may declare/consider Aegon an impostor, which would him enable to pursue his claim legally (but then, since he knows Connington, I'm not so sure whether he will truly believe Aegon to be false without proof), but he has no lawful argument against Dany's claim.

Stannis's own claim comes from his belief in the law of succession, just as Aegon's and Dany's claim as well. Just because Joffrey and Tommen 'Baratheon' successfully usurped the Iron Throne by the so-called 'Right of Conquest' does not convince Stannis that their claim stands. Stannis argues that only the line of succession decrees whose claim to the Iron Throne takes precedence. He is only the rightful king in his own interpretation because Robert left no trueborn heirs.

So technically Stannis would get in trouble if he were to try to win a debate whether he has a better claim than Aegon or Dany, since they would actually use his own arguments against him.

Arguing that House Targaryen lost all claims when Robert took the Iron Throne illegally and by force is exactly the same argument Cersei could use to discredit Stannis's claim. In fact, if the Targaryens truly had no claim, Cersei could actually reveal that her children are not Robert's, and that she and House Lannister has 'conquered' the Iron Throne. But obviously they don't do that, because Joffrey's and Tommen's claims come from Robert, not from some kind of 'Right of Conquest'.

She has sworn no fealty to house baratheon and thus cannot be considered a usurper.

Call it what you like. Fact is, if she wants to take over Westeros, she'll have to do it the way Robert did. By rebellion. She doesn't have enough forces to conquer Westeros the way Aegon did, so she'll need help from some of the Westerosi houses. If I'm not mistaken, taking arms against your King is called a rebellion.

Call it what you like. Fact is, if she wants to take over Westeros, she'll have to do it the way Robert did. By rebellion. She doesn't have enough forces to conquer Westeros the way Aegon did, so she'll need help from some of the Westerosi houses. If I'm not mistaken, taking arms against your King is called a rebellion.

Its yet to be seen if she even uses westerosi people and still, she has sworn no fealty to any king. Its not a rebellion imo.

Archived