What justifies the Ironborn's views of other peoples as 'weak'?

Rolex Baratheon

By the time they conquered the Riverlands they controlled most of Weteros occidental coastline. It was hardly just the Iron Islands against the world.

And, not to lessen the Hoares victory but, conquering the Riverlands is relatively easy. Along with the Reach, it's the most vunerable region. The Vale, Dorne, the Stormlands, the West, all have mountain lines defending them from the mainland, and the North has the Neck. Just look at how many Lords the Riverlands have had. Show me someone can maintain the Riverlands, and I'll show you a hero.

Did they? They never took big targets like Lannisport or Oldtown, just seperate parts such as the Arbor, Bear Island and perhaps Kayce and Fair Isle. And would these regions provide men, or would they just be places the Ironborn show up to nab stuff from occasionally? Either way, these collective regions wouldn't stand up numerically against the combined forces of the Riverlands, Stormlands and the now Crownlands. Tywin Lannister couldn't take the Riverlands through military force, and he was 'only' fighting the North + Riverlands...

True, but im going to assume based on the text that they were better on ships then on horseback. They disrespect heavy cavalry nowadays, im geussing they did back then as well.

Perhaps. But I believe it likely that their military doctrine has changed quite a bit since they went from being a real regional power, to simple reavers. It's not like it happened just a decade or so ago, but centuries. There is little use for heavy cavarly when you are just boarding ships or raiding coastal settlements after all, in which case their beliefs regarding it could have changed as well.

yes and its him and im half drunk.

Mmmm....Cersei is drunk and asking for love... :D

You are going to give us bad thoughts...you should at least change you avatar for another in which Cersei appear less kinky.

They conquered the Riverlands. The Northerners never did this despite being so many more of them.

Yes. And the spartans were once the best warriors in the world. And the macedonians once conquered an empire stretching from Egypt to the Adriatic Sea to India. And the romans kicked everybody's asses. And the magyar ancestors of the hungarians kicked the roman's asses. And the spaniards conquered half the world. And the viking ancestors of the icelanders and scandinavians ravaged the coasts of Europe...etc.

Many countries had a period of awesomeness in their past in which they kicked ass big time, but that doesn't mean that their far descendants are equally fearsome.

The greenlanders are made weak by their fear of death.

True Ironborn do not fear death because, as their religion teaches them:

A) they have already "died" at least once

B) What Is Dead May Never Die

C) Dying in battle is the way to their idea of heaven (Valhalla er I mean The Drowned God's Hall) anyway

So if you follow The Old Way, the best case scenario is you take all the good stuff the world has to offer and live like a king, and the worst case scenario is you go to heaven and people write and sing songs about how awesome you were. Living by rules and oaths and the charity of others ("what is given can be taken away") is for suckers like the greenlanders, who in being afraid to die are thus also afraid to live.

Strange that people not afraid of dying love to run away and surrender so much.

They conquered the Riverlands. The Northerners never did this despite being so many more of them.

Did they ever try?

I never said the Stormlands were the most powerful kingdom. I said that the Storm King empire was the most powerful kingdom. When they controlled what is now the Crownlands and Riverlands in addition to the Stormlands, they easily, easily were. All of your ratings are pure speculation.

I thought there were Storm Kings, plural, not just one big kingdom.

Nope, 'the storm kings' referred to all the kings that ruled the Stormlands, Crownlands and eventually the Riverlands, since King Durran Godsgrief/King of Swamp Castle built Storm's End in the Age of Heroes (allegedly). After they had took the Riverlands, the Storm Kings were the most powerful region of Westeros. And that The Ironborn took the Riverlands from them, creating their golden age, I really can't stress how this can be seen as anything other than impressive on the Ironborn's part.

Strange that people not afraid of dying love to run away and surrender so much.

Technically drowning more than dying, hence why Victarion fights in full plate, but considering how the Ironborn are hugely outnumbered in basically every engagement we see them fight/heard that they lose, I don't know what they were supposed to do...

Archived