Who will come to Sansa's rescue

SonOfWinter

Cheers,

this is my first post, although I have been wandering through the countless threads of this forum since I finished ADWD.

Since me and a friend are constantly crackpotting about what will happen next (like anyone else here) I thought I'd post one of the many theories.

I'm not quiete sure whether this theory has come up before. If so, I apologize for the double post.

As far as Sansa's arc goes, we have witnessed her developing from a naíve little girl to (what some say) a bit of a shemer. Some people have also pointed out that LF's arc is likely about to end in TWOW and I agree. The question is how.

Obviously Sansa will be involved but I don't think she will be alone.

Now one possible candidate for paying her a visit is the Blackfish.We currently do not know where he is nor what he is about but as former Knight of the Gate the Vale seems to be a likely place for him to go. Also it borders to the Riverlands where he was seen for the last time. In the Hooded Man discussion some implied that the cloaked man in Winterfell might be him but I think that is unlikely, seen as he does not have a strong connection to the place. Also he would have to pass Moat Calin which is (IIRC) held by the Boltons and kind of a drag to pass.

The crackpot part begins here.

It has been suggested that Sandor never really died and an off-page death does seems unworthy for a fairly important character. Now if he really is the gravedigger, I think it that there is a good chance of him travelling to the Vale (possibly with the Blackfish).

Not that there is any proof of this but I refuse to belive that his whole relationship to Sansa was constructed just to end before developing into something with an actual impact on the story. We have seen how the Hound fares when without a cause (or master), so I think it is a plausable assumption for him to find someone he wants to serve/help. Also I think that he is a possible candidate for the second death of Robert Strong. I mean who better?

Thoughts?

I think that the best choice for sansa is Bronze Yohn how is a Stark loylist and a distant cousin to them . For the Hound I don't belive that he knows that Sansa is in the Vale , he will go to KL to fight as a champion of the faith against his brother :fencing:, sorry for my english :drunk:

I agree with both of your theories.I just don't see, how Sandor will get to KL in time for the trial, seen as only few know that he is alive and that Robert Strong might be Clegane. He will kill Gregor but I don't think it will be now.

One reason for this theory is that somehow Jaimie will have to be involved in Cersei's death (valonqar). If the Hound goes to KL, fights as the champion of the faith and kills his brother, it would mean Cersei's death.

Of course it could be argued that in this scenario Sandor (a smaller brother himself) turns out to be the valonqar but I think it unlikely.

Sansa has developed in a way that would allow her to be her own savior but why should GRRM establish the whole relationship between Sansa and the Hound if not to go somewhere. Think Chekhov.

Sandor involving in Sansa's escape would be a bit cliched for a writer like George RR Martin..so I do believe its either Bronze Yohn or Blackfish seems to be a more logical and realistic choice..and we are forgetting about Brienne..isnt she was heading the Vale in her search for Sansa before getting caught by UnCat..I do feel Brienne along with Gendry will find Sansa

It would be nice to see part of her father's sword returned back to a Stark and in this case Sansa,using it to defend herself from LF would be nostalgic.Plus ,if Gendry is along,the Baratheon-Stark promise might as well be fulfilled

Anyways,I just want Sansa to be more active and be her own saviour and with Ice it would be perfect

One reason for this theory is that somehow Jaimie will have to be involved in Cersei's death (valonqar). If the Hound goes to KL, fights as the champion of the faith and kills his brother, it would mean Cersei's death.

Sansa has developed in a way that would allow her to be her own savior but why should GRRM establish the whole relationship between Sansa and the Hound if not to go somewhere. Think Chekhov.

I'd imagine the valonqar will most likely be Jaime since Tyrion is too obvious.

GRRM said that the unkiss “will eventually mean something” so I think Sandor might well return.

To follow up my own comment, I think that Sansa will save herself by the student becoming the master and manipulating Littlefinger into a major mistake. Someone that has not been mentioned as a possible ally is Myranda Royce. However, she could, just as easily become a problem for Sansa.

rescue from what?

It'd be nice if she escapes by herself but i dont think it will happen. I suppose Sandor could do something, but he's kinda far and looks crippled from getting burnt. Brienne has a mission, but she failed in every mission she's had so... That one guy at the Vale, Lord Royce, he knew Sansa from before and he's the only Lord who hates on Petyr so perhaps him. My personal favorite would be Mr. Sansa Lannister coming to his wife's aide. But the most likely is Ser Shardic the Mad Mouse who is currently searching for the regicide suspect Sansa Stark and is a few yards away from Alayne Stone's bedroom (though I think Sansa will kill him)

Sansa currently does not even want to be rescued. She has accepted the situation, and participates willingly in Littlefinger's plans. So the Blackfish would have a really hard time rescuing her, he might not even recognize her and she might decide not to reveal herself.

Before she can be rescued (or rescue herself), the situation must significantly change.

I am not sure that witnessing Littlefinger kill SweetRobin would be enough to make her realize that she needs to escape the trap she is in. She accepts that they need to drug SweetRobin for immediate gain even if the effects are detrimental in the long term. She might be able to rationalize the necessity for SweetRobin's death.

So what is likely to happen that might change her situation?

If nothing changes soon, she'll go ahead and woo Harry the Heir.

If that turns into more than just following Littlefinger's plans, if Harry manages to gain her trust, she might let him in on her secret. Or he might discover her identity on his own. Maybe they'll decide to keep following Littlefinger's plans, but then there would be no change in her situation. Maybe Harry would let her true identity slip, but that would only make her situation more dangerous and Sansa more dependent on Littlefinger. I don't see Sansa and Harry suddenly deciding to go rescue SweetRobin from Littlefinger.

And then there is that hedgeknight, the Mad Mouse.

He might recognize her and abduct her to collect the reward. Most likely her identity would leak out then, so rescue might come from different quarters - Littlefinger, Harry the Heir, Myranda Royce and Robert's bastard daughter, the Blackfish and the Vale lords, Jaime and Brienne might come looking for her, as well as Lady Stoneheart and the BWB. I can even see the gravedigger rescuing her if the Mad Mouse and Sansa pass the Quiet Isle. Sadly enough, I cannot see Sansa rescuing herself in this case.

I don't remember any evidence that Royce ever knew Sansa

It's flimsy
"Eight, you said . . . Bronze Yohn is one of them?"

"The only one who matters."

"Bronze Yohn knows me," she reminded him. "He was a guest at Winterfell when his son rode north to take the black." She had fallen wildly in love with Ser Waymar, she remembered dimly, but that was a lifetime ago, when she was a stupid little girl. "And that was not the only time. Lord Royce saw . . . he saw Sansa Stark again at King's Landing, during the Hand's tourney."

Petyr put a finger under her chin. "That Royce glimpsed this pretty face I do not doubt, but it was one face in a thousand. A man fighting in a tourney has more to concern him than some child in the crowd. And at Winterfell, Sansa was a little girl with auburn hair. My daughter is a maiden tall and fair, and her hair is chestnut. Men see what they expect to see, Alayne."

Last of all came the Royces, Lord Nestor and Bronze Yohn. The Lord of Runestone stood as tall as the Hound. Though his hair was grey and his face lined, Lord Yohn still looked as though he could break most younger men like twigs in those huge gnarled hands. His seamed and solemn face brought back all of Sansa's memories of his time at Winterfell. She remembered him at table, speaking quietly with her mother. She heard his voice booming off the walls when he rode back from a hunt with a buck behind his saddle. She could see him in the yard, a practice sword in hand, hammering her father to the ground and turning to defeat Ser Rodrik as well. He will know me. How could he not? She considered throwing herself at his feet to beg for his protection. He never fought for Robb, why should he fight for me? The war is finished and Winterfell is fallen. "Lord Royce," she asked timidly, "will you have a cup of wine, to take the chill off?"

Bronze Yohn had slate-grey eyes, half-hidden beneath the bushiest eyebrows she had ever seen. They crinkled when he looked down at her. "Do I know you, girl?"

Alayne felt as though she had swallowed her tongue, but Lord Nestor rescued her. "Alayne is the Lord Protector's natural daughter," he told his cousin gruffly.

^Ok fair enough. He doesn't know her though. He's only seen her briefly and that was at least two years ago at the Hand's Tourney. Also, it would have been three or four years since Waymar took the Black and Yohn was at Winterfell. Even if she does look familiar to him, I doubt he could work out who she is without someone else's help.

Given her development, I'd imagine the most likely person to save her will be herself or maybe she will finally get rescued by a gallant and chivalrous knight (not likely with GRRM writing it.)

My guess is Ser Shadrich will come to Sansa's rescue, sort of... you might remember that Brienne meets him on the road to Duskendale early on in AFFC and he tells her that he intends to collect the bounty that has been placed on her head. Then at the very end of AFFC he appears again when he's entering Little Finger's service.

Now at this point whether he recognizes Sansa is unclear but I think that his intentions of taking her back to the Lannisters is very much in play.

I think that he will somehow smuggle Sansa out of the Vale before she can marry Harold, and it is on the road that she will be rescued by either the Grave Digger, (the Hound) who is on his way to KL as the champion of the faith in Cersei's trial, or the Black Fish who is somewhere between the Riverlands and the Vale.

^Ok fair enough. He doesn't know her though. He's only seen her briefly and that was at least two years ago at the Hand's Tourney. Also, it would have been three or four years since Waymar took the Black and Yohn was at Winterfell. Even if she does look familiar to him, I doubt he could work out who she is without someone else's help.

Given her development, I'd imagine the most likely person to save her will be herself or maybe she will finally get rescued by a gallant and chivalrous knight (not likely with GRRM writing it.)

Maybe his daugthers will find out who she is , I think that there was a thred on that

My guess is Ser Shadrich will come to Sansa's rescue, sort of... you might remember that Brienne meets him on the road to Duskendale early on in AFFC and he tells her that he intends to collect the bounty that has been placed on her head. Then at the very end of AFFC he appears again when he's entering Little Finger's service.

Now at this point whether he recognizes Sansa is unclear but I think that his intentions of taking her back to the Lannisters is very much in play.

I think that he will somehow smuggle Sansa out of the Vale before she can marry Harold, and it is on the road that she will be rescued by either the Grave Digger, (the Hound) who is on his way to KL as the champion of the faith in Cersei's trial, or the Black Fish who is somewhere between the Riverlands and the Vale.

I like this a lot. For some reason Sansa will stop liking the status quo in the Vale. Myranda Royce may have something to do with it. But I really think Ser Shadrich will play a role. Whether he kidnaps Sansa or merely outs her as Sansa, not Alayne, I'm not sure. The latter makes Baelish a criminal in the eyes of the crown, so I'm not convinced it happens but this is GRRM.

I'd love to see the Hound involved again but I agree it sounds cliche. Then again, lots of people meet at the crossroads, Blackfish, BWB, Sansa, Shadrick, Sandor are all options.

Archived