Who will come to Sansa's rescue

SonOfWinter

My guess is Ser Shadrich will come to Sansa's rescue, sort of... you might remember that Brienne meets him on the road to Duskendale early on in AFFC and he tells her that he intends to collect the bounty that has been placed on her head. Then at the very end of AFFC he appears again when he's entering Little Finger's service.

Now at this point whether he recognizes Sansa is unclear but I think that his intentions of taking her back to the Lannisters is very much in play.

I think that he will somehow smuggle Sansa out of the Vale before she can marry Harold, and it is on the road that she will be rescued by either the Grave Digger, (the Hound) who is on his way to KL as the champion of the faith in Cersei's trial, or the Black Fish who is somewhere between the Riverlands and the Vale.

This is an intersting idea. Littlefinger is destined for a grizzly death but supposing Sansa ends up back at KL (either through choice or by force) and has to answer for her part in Joff's murder and choses trial by battle where who should suddenly reveal himself as not only alive but willing to be her champion and defend her innocence but Tah dah! Sandor! If Cersai has already won her freedom previously then Sandor may even battle Un-Gregor...a few birds killed with one stone?

I agree with both of your theories.I just don't see, how Sandor will get to KL in time for the trial, seen as only few know that he is alive and that Robert Strong might be Clegane. He will kill Gregor but I don't think it will be now.

One reason for this theory is that somehow Jaimie will have to be involved in Cersei's death (valonqar). If the Hound goes to KL, fights as the champion of the faith and kills his brother, it would mean Cersei's death.

Of course it could be argued that in this scenario Sandor (a smaller brother himself) turns out to be the valonqar but I think it unlikely.

Sansa has developed in a way that would allow her to be her own savior but why should GRRM establish the whole relationship between Sansa and the Hound if not to go somewhere. Think Chekhov.

Only few know that he's alive? Who? Sandor is dead.

Cheers,

this is my first post, although I have been wandering through the countless threads of this forum since I finished ADWD.

Since me and a friend are constantly crackpotting about what will happen next (like anyone else here) I thought I'd post one of the many theories.

I'm not quiete sure whether this theory has come up before. If so, I apologize for the double post.

As far as Sansa's arc goes, we have witnessed her developing from a naíve little girl to (what some say) a bit of a shemer. Some people have also pointed out that LF's arc is likely about to end in TWOW and I agree. The question is how.

Obviously Sansa will be involved but I don't think she will be alone.

Now one possible candidate for paying her a visit is the Blackfish.We currently do not know where he is nor what he is about but as former Knight of the Gate the Vale seems to be a likely place for him to go. Also it borders to the Riverlands where he was seen for the last time. In the Hooded Man discussion some implied that the cloaked man in Winterfell might be him but I think that is unlikely, seen as he does not have a strong connection to the place. Also he would have to pass Moat Calin which is (IIRC) held by the Boltons and kind of a drag to pass.

The crackpot part begins here.

It has been suggested that Sandor never really died and an off-page death does seems unworthy for a fairly important character. Now if he really is the gravedigger, I think it that there is a good chance of him travelling to the Vale (possibly with the Blackfish).

Not that there is any proof of this but I refuse to belive that his whole relationship to Sansa was constructed just to end before developing into something with an actual impact on the story. We have seen how the Hound fares when without a cause (or master), so I think it is a plausable assumption for him to find someone he wants to serve/help. Also I think that he is a possible candidate for the second death of Robert Strong. I mean who better?

Thoughts?

Sandor is not dead. His transformative character arc (martin turning things on their head) is that he is healing both physically and emotionally and becoming a gentler man, the one he was supposed to be. Sansa, on the other hand, is per her own words, 'My skin has turned to porcelain, to ivory, to steel.

She will become a mighty warrior. and if you see THE WHEEL OF TIME turning, the history of the brother and two sisters who rode the three dragons in past history, SANSA is one of them. in armor. and when Gregor/RS meets up with Sandor in the endgame, Sansa is going to save SANDOR - by burning Gregor/RS and melting him. and that is karmic. and i can't wait.

Only few know that he's alive? Who? Sandor is dead.

It is very likely that Sandor is the grave digger that Brienne see's on the quite isle. There are many posts about this. The grave digger is huge, has a lame leg(Sandor was wounded in the leg in the barfight where Arya killed the Tickler, IS THERE GOLD IN THE VILLAGE? badass) and the head guy on the quite isle says the Hound died not Sandor. He also tells Brienne of his own metaphorical death during the war of the 9 penny kings, making his statement that the Hound died all the more likely to be metaphorically referring to his mental transformation.

I don't think Jaime will die in this book because his redemption arc isn't complete. Referring back to ASOS the fact that Brienne's sword remained alight while his died is because she is a true and honourable knight which is exactly what she wants to be. Jaime's burned pale because he was a hollow man, a Knight with no purpose and no belief (because he felt ashamed despite doing the right thing when the shades confronted him in the fever dream) and guttered because he is dead inside. Being that it was his sword hand which sent him into a massive depression as his combat abilities were what really defined him in his eyes, i would say it is worth Bran's fall. Btw nice catch with whole Symeon Star-Eyes and Aemon the Dragonknight, i can see that coming through. Its kind of like GRRM's style.

I can see the Blackfish convincing UnCat that she would only dishonor Ned and Robb's memory by hanging the Jaime and Brienne so she instead dispatches them to liberate Sansa from Baelish's control and the Hound joins them on the way. They reveal who she is and Baelish's plans are undone because the Vale Knights and Lords rally to her WITHOUT being married to Harry the Heir as many of them felt Lysa's cowardice was an isult to them and the highest dishonor not to support her family. They proceed to destroy Frey and Bolton and align themselves with Aegon Targaryen in return for Jaime's pardon and continued service in the Kingsguard and the restoration of Tully and Stark and Lords Paramount in the Riverlands and the North respectively. The Northmen rally to her and if Stannis is killed then Gendry becomes the Baratheon of Storm's End.

If Jaime has to die then it should complete his redemption arc, not halt it half-way through (at least i hope it doesn't)

cforrester there are two people ahead of Gendry in the line of succession for Storms End Shireen and Edric Storm. That is assuming Aegon looses and connington/whoever in the golden company isn't declared the lord there. Queen Sansa Stark I agree she will save herself because I believe her whole character arc is about going from a pawn to a player but you have to admit she has needed to be saved a few times already so I think that's where people are coming from.

"cforrester there are two people ahead of Gendry in the line of succession for Storms End Shireen and Edric Storm. That is assuming Aegon looses and connington/whoever in the golden company isn't declared the lord there. Queen Sansa Stark I agree she will save herself because I believe her whole character arc is about going from a pawn to a player but you have to admit she has needed to be saved a few times already so I think that's where people are coming from."

Edric Storm is the younger bastard. The fact that he is high-born makes no difference, laws of inheritance mean that the oldest male comes first (with the exception of Dorne). With regards to shireen it is possible that her greyscale will come back and kill her (making her into a wight) or she will be sacrificed by Melisandre as she is blood of a King in desperation to find Stannis or resurrect Jon Snow. Wild and outlandish theory that it is, its still possible.

In ASOS it says that Edric Storm and Shireen are of a similar age to Bran/Arya whereas Gendry appears to be more of an age with Jon Snow and Robb Stark

besides Jon Connington knows that the Stormlords need a Baratheon to rule them just as the Northmen need a Stark. To declare a sellsword or another minor lord as one of the greatest lords in the land, especially one that has been in exile for about 100 years, would just piss them off and create another rebellion. Besides Varys works for Aegon and he has been manipulating Gendry's life since he got him that job working for Tobho Mott. Varys understands that to secure Aegon's rule they need to keep the well-loved noble families like Baratheon and Stark otherwise another rebellion will happen.

"cforrester there are two people ahead of Gendry in the line of succession for Storms End Shireen and Edric Storm. That is assuming Aegon looses and connington/whoever in the golden company isn't declared the lord there. Queen Sansa Stark I agree she will save herself because I believe her whole character arc is about going from a pawn to a player but you have to admit she has needed to be saved a few times already so I think that's where people are coming from."

Edric Storm is the younger bastard. The fact that he is high-born makes no difference, laws of inheritance mean that the oldest male comes first (with the exception of Dorne). With regards to shireen it is possible that her greyscale will come back and kill her (making her into a wight) or she will be sacrificed by Melisandre as she is blood of a King in desperation to find Stannis or resurrect Jon Snow. Wild and outlandish theory that it is, its still possible.

In ASOS it says that Edric Storm and Shireen are of a similar age to Bran/Arya whereas Gendry appears to be more of an age with Jon Snow and Robb Stark

Incorrect, Edric Storm is legitimized placing him above Gendry in the line of succession

besides Jon Connington knows that the Stormlords need a Baratheon to rule them just as the Northmen need a Stark. To declare a sellsword or another minor lord as one of the greatest lords in the land, especially one that has been in exile for about 100 years, would just piss them off and create another rebellion. Besides Varys works for Aegon and he has been manipulating Gendry's life since he got him that job working for Tobho Mott. Varys understands that to secure Aegon's rule they need to keep the well-loved noble families like Baratheon and Stark otherwise another rebellion will happen.

Lol? Jon Connington took a vow to end the usurpers line, referring to Robert Baratheon.

Edit: apparently someone who probably knows more then me says his acknowledgement doesn't matter, I thought it did. Never the less what I said about Jon Connington stands, he was banished because he was defeated by Robert I highly doubt he is going to be making any effort to put a Baratheon in Storms End, and he did not promise the golden company they could come home to live in hovels in the countryside, he would have had to promise them castles and lord ships, the officers at least.

Call it a judgement in human nature. No lord would follow some exiled sellsword as the lord of the stormlands nor would they follow a lord of equivalent rank that has been bumped up by some aging greyscale-infected lord and a sheltered whelp claiming to be the son of Rhaegar Targaryen, the man they fought against. He might not like it but it would have to be so otherwise the war would continue for a lot longer. If you want an example look at the North. No Stark lord so some have declared for Stannis, most are neutral and only a couple have decided to follow Bolton. If Connington has any sense in that aging and almost derailed mind of his he will have learned from Cersei's mistake. ANd if he doesn't then Varys will because he has seen the mistakes Cersei has made in the North and the Riverlands and knows how beloved Robert was by the stormlords.

Put yourself in their shoes. Would you follow the son of a lord you respected or an exiled mercenary that has been put in that lordship by another exile and the whelp of a kidnapper you fought a war against? Forget what Jon Connington wants or said, compromise and logic wins wars not rash decisions motivated by petty revenge

Edric Storm acknowlweged not legitimized. If he was they i would concede that he would be in line for Storm's End but as he is still a Storm he is still behind Gendry because of their ages.

Plus Jon Connington is biased because he was in love with Rhaegar and Robert killed him with just cause because Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna. Jon doesn't seem to be able to accept that Rhaegar had it coming to him, just as Aerys deserved to die because of what he did to Rickard, Brandon and the other northerners amongst other things. Perhaps if Jon manages to accept this these bells he claims to hear might stop ringing and he will be able to help Aegon conquer Westeros and rule as a just and fair King. Two things he wouldn't be if he killed Roberts children and "children" because he would prove himself as bad as Tywin Lannister

also roberts "legitimate" line stops with Myrcella and Tommen and since Gendry has proved himself as an honourable man that protects the people and Aegon has been brought up to listen to his people it seems logical to me that Gendry and the other bastards will be allowed to live. Especially when Varys may have purpose for them which is a fact you seem intent on overlooking.

also i seem to remember that he promised them the castles that their families once owned and none of them owned Storm's End and Connington has got his Griffin's Roost back. Also he might be killed which would leave Aegon alone (kind of GRRM's style) so he won't be able to exterminate the Baratheons because he will be busy feeding the worms

I believe a couple of the Houses were Strickland and Cole. Besides even if their castles are indeed hovels there are enough extinguished lines all over Westeros to provide good castles for all the officers and a few of the SGTs. Storm's End must have a highborn Westerosi ruler and to the Stormlords need a Baratheon to keep them in line. To jump one up above the others or to put a merc in that castle would start the war all over again (i know i keep harping on this but it is easy to surmise)

This so off topic, but:

Death, he knew, but slow. I still have time. A year. Two years. Five. Some stone men live for ten. Time enough to cross the sea, to see Griffin’s Roost again. To end the Usurper’s line for good and all, and put Rhaegar’s son upon the Iron Throne.

No legitimizing anyone.

Archived